Strut tower braces? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Strut tower braces? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'd consider front fender braces a more worthwhile investment than a front strut brace, although I never got the chance ...

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd consider front fender braces a more worthwhile investment than a front strut brace, although I never got the chance to try them on my car. At $90, they're about the same as a front strut bar.

As stated, the wagons could definitely benefit from a rear bar, as they don't have the chassis members extending between the strut towers there like the sedans do (right behind the back seat at about shoulder level). How much of a difference did yours make, Zach?

Subarus are quite rigid from the factory, though. That's part of the reason they have sill-less windows, since the door frames and chassis are already so rigid, they don't need the added weight of the door sill. During my sub install, I was amazed at all the bracing throughout the car just underneath the trim paneling.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo
    I'd consider front fender braces a more worthwhile investment than a front strut brace, although I never got the chance to try them on my car. At $90, they're about the same as a front strut bar.
    They are a fantastic bang/buck modification. Simply hold them side-by-side with the stamped steel pieces you remove, and you'll see the better quality. I have the TiC ones:
    TiC Giuyngmyo Fender Cowl Braces

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo
    As stated, the wagons could definitely benefit from a rear bar, as they don't have the chassis members extending between the strut towers there like the sedans do (right behind the back seat at about shoulder level).
    As useful as the rear bar is if you have a wagon, you really should spend the money on the quick-release version from Whiteline to allow for efficient swaps between utility/performance, or not at all.

If you have a sedan, the only bar I'd even bother with would be either of the following:
    CarLabs Development X-Brace - Subaru GD
    GD REAR BRACE

Simply adding a bar between the rear strut mounts will do little/nothing for a sedan, but tying in the bottom part of the chassis will be noticed. The Oswald brace has a version for wagons, so for people who don't mind losing some utility full-time with the aftermarket bar, that would be even better than a traditional strut tower bar.
    Last edited by EJ257; 09-24-2013 at 03:32 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Simply adding a bar between the rear strut mounts will do little/nothing for a sedan, but tying in the bottom part of the chassis will be noticed. The Oswald brace has a version for wagons, so for people who don't mind losing some utility full-time with the aftermarket bar, that would be even better than a traditional strut tower bar.
    Yeah, I've read TiC's rave reviews of the X-brace. Seems like a nice bit of kit, but I never wanted to sacrifice that much trunk space for one. Triangulating the strut forces against each other and the rigid floor does make a lot of sense.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Registered User Sheleileigh Law's Avatar
    I had a front tower strut bar and low body brace installed, Modest mods that, imo, improved the feel of the car and reduced body roll. I would still like the car to be stiffer, but then, I preferred Wranglers when they had leaf suspensions, so maybe just an odd ball. I don't race, just like a stiff vehicle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12