Subaru WRX Forum banner

2006 STI strut options/recommendations?

12K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  EJ257 
#1 ·
New guy here, looking for some help from those who know more than me and (evidently) the parts retailers in my area.

I've had two different places and several online retails claim various struts for the '06 WRX sedan will work for my '06 STI. I have read elsewhere that is incorrect, that they are not. I keep seeing that only in '04 were the WRX and STI struts compatible...

My stock suspension is shot and I'm looking for aftermarket OEM replacement parts. $369 each for the front and $389 each for the rear struts just seems exorbitant. (quote from a local shop).

Does anyone here have a known compatible oem replacement strut that isn't going to set me back $2k w/ labor?

This post has been deleted
#5 ·
I don't think it makes a difference whether or not it's STI or WRX. It matters if it's Wagon or Sedan. And the year model seperation is 02-03 and 04-07. The year separation has to do with the spring fitment in the rear on the top mount and not the struts.

If you are only buying struts and using your existing springs, get 04-07 sedan struts.

02-07 Subaru WRX KYB Performance Struts: JSC Speed

**I have had STi take-offs on my WRX, 2004 (version 8) STi struts and springs and top mounts from a wrecked STi and they fit and are a well known upgrade for the WRX.

That is precisely what I'm getting conflicting opinions about. Some websites and retailers show "Exc. STI" in the list of cars, while others do not, and 2004 is specifically noted as an exclusion.
Online, there are plenty of threads talking about how the WRX struts are not compatible with the STI for several reasons... and I'm just hoping to get a definitive answer one way or another.

#6 · (Edited)
As to not make a bigger mess, I deleted my previous posts.

You must buy STi specific struts. They are valved differently to work with different spring rates and are an inverted design (this is if you are looking for a stock replacement). As far as actual physical fitment, only 04 STi can fit the front struts from a WRX and for the rears I think any year STi will fit any year WRX.

For aftermarket stuts look at KYB AGX, Tokico D-spec, Koni inserts. Those are probably top 3 most popular. Or you could just buy used low mileage struts off NASIOC or Ebay.

I apologize for the previous posts, I haven't slept in a very long time. It's a busy time for me right now.

#7 ·
As to not make a bigger mess, I deleted my previous posts.

You must buy STi specific struts. They are valved differently to work with different spring rates and are an inverted design (this is if you are looking for a stock replacement). As far as physical fitment, only 04 STi can fit the front struts from a WRX and I think any year STi will fit any year WRX.

For aftermarket stuts look at KYB AGX, Tokico D-spec, Koni inserts. Those are probably top 3 most popular. Or you could just buy used low mileage struts off NASIOC or Ebay.

I apologize for the previous posts, I haven't slept in a very long time. It's a busy time for me right now.
You da man! thanks a ton for your insight and help. I will continue my due diligence and look in to your 3 suggestions. Don't worry about the previous confusion, I've seen it several times today and figure i will several more ;). Thanks for cleaning up your comments too, for future readers' sake.

#8 ·
You're limited in what you can buy. The options just aren't there for you that is for the '04 STI and WRXs.

Without going with coilovers, and without buying new stock ones, Feal is about your only option:
rallyracingsuspension.com - STI Strut Revalve

That said, they're worth the money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.