HELP WITH REAR CROSSMEMBER REPLACEMENT PLEASE

This is a discussion on HELP WITH REAR CROSSMEMBER REPLACEMENT PLEASE within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My 02 WRX was down due to 2 spun bearings and a trashed crank, I had it towed to my ...

HELP WITH REAR CROSSMEMBER REPLACEMENT PLEASE

My 02 WRX was down due to 2 spun bearings and a trashed crank, I had it towed to my house. I didn't realize until 4 months later, after I Finally got it all back together that the tow truck driver hooked up to my passenger side lateral link and bent it AND the rear crossmember. The only thing I did is bend the crossmember back the best i could and replaced all 4 lateral links with adjustable after market ones. Now I have driven it for about 6 months and the rear-end makes all kind of noise going over even the smallest bumps. Because of all the noise I ordered a new rear crossmember and it just got here. It is proving difficult to find any real help with this project, I found one video on youtube that helped a little, but im still not finding a whole lot of information(any help with info on replacing rear crossmember would be greatly appreciated). I guess my real question is wile replacing the crossmember what else should I replace(rear dif bushings, etc) since I already have everything in my rear suspention taken apart?(138,000 original miles on suspension) The only things aftermarket in the entire suspension is the 4 rear lateral links, and 1.5" lowering springs in the front. Any help or information would be greatly greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Kyler

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you're in there pulling it apart, just replace all the bushings you can get to while you're there (rear diff bushings, crossmember bushings, etc.). Otherwise it should be a pretty straight forward job.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    If you're in there pulling it apart, just replace all the bushings you can get to while you're there (rear diff bushings, crossmember bushings, etc.). Otherwise it should be a pretty straight forward job.
    Thats kind what I thought too, my goal was to get everything ordered and here before i started I already ordered the rear dif bushings, that's why i wrote this up to get an idea of what other bushings i should order and upgrades such as the swaybar and end links so i only have to get under there once, eventualy i will do the struts/coilovers. Off the top of your head (if money wasn't an issue)what all would you replace/upgrade?
    Last edited by kylermabe; 09-10-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Honestly, it all depends on what your goals are.

Personally, I'd do the diff bushings like you said (or skip those and just do a new mount all together such as the beatrush or Cusco mount), then the outrigger bushings. Struts and springs (Tokico or Koni struts and RCE yellow springs), adjustable tophats, Whiteline swaybars, Karboy endlinks...Whiteline Anti-lift kit...may as well do all the suspension bushings under there too since you have it all apart.

That's just off the top of my head.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Honestly, it all depends on what your goals are.

Personally, I'd do the diff bushings like you said (or skip those and just do a new mount all together such as the beatrush or Cusco mount), then the outrigger bushings. Struts and springs (Tokico or Koni struts and RCE yellow springs), adjustable tophats, Whiteline swaybars, Karboy endlinks...Whiteline Anti-lift kit...may as well do all the suspension bushings under there too since you have it all apart.

That's just off the top of my head.

Awesome!!.. Exactly what I was looking for!.. Thankyou

Very welcome! Goodluck!

Ok decided to go with basically just the necessities for the crossmember swap I have a couple things already ordered. A Whiteline KSB750 Rear Subframe lock bolt Kit and the beatrush rear diff mount.. I have been reading a lot about bushings I'm just trying to figure which exact bushings I should replace during the swap or any other little things I need during the process.. I'm looking to have everything ordered and here by the 25th.. Since this is my first real suspension project besides lowering springs, any tips you think I should know or safety must do's ill make sure I keep them in mind!

Later the sway bars, endlinks, struts springs ... The bigger stuff ..

What exactly do I NEED to do this swap(including which bearings)??

Also any little extras(cheap) that anyone would recommend to do wile I have my car up switching the crossmember and diff mount out

Would I benefit from trying to find just a full kit of some kind ?

I read that I need a bushing press do do some of the bushings.. Any recommendations on a decent cheap one or other solutions?

Thanks again for all the help!!