Starting to wonder if I bled my brakes properly?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Starting to wonder if I bled my brakes properly? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When I had replaced my lines on my car my bleeding procedure was pumping the pedal 10 times. As I ...

Starting to wonder if I bled my brakes properly?

When I had replaced my lines on my car my bleeding procedure was pumping the pedal 10 times. As I read several articles it said pumping to much can actually cause more bubbles to form. Stoptech's site says to press the pedal 3 times and then bleed, holding the pedal down and then once close pumping the pedal back up, but do the pedal then need to be pumped more than 3 times or just pump it up and then 3 times and bleed?

Does it sound like I was pressing to many times perhaps and that is why I still have a very spongy pedal feel? I have the SS lines and now the ST pads all the way around.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What order (DF, DR, PF, PR) did you bleed?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    What order (DF, DR, PF, PR) did you bleed?
    I couldn't tell you right off the bat, but I did multiple searches on the WRX bleed order and they all said the same, so I followed them. Pretty sure I did the order correctly.

anyone think I pumped the pedal to much?

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    anyone think I pumped the pedal to much?
    Sounds like you might have...I know when I bled my brake last, I did the correct order, but would only press continually and firmly for 3 or 4 times and that was plenty. Went for a drive to bed in my pads and noticed pedal feel was still squishy. So we rebled in the proper order again in the same fashion and we found more air. After that second time, it was money and the brakes were perfect.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Sounds like you might have...I know when I bled my brake last, I did the correct order, but would only press continually and firmly for 3 or 4 times and that was plenty. Went for a drive to bed in my pads and noticed pedal feel was still squishy. So we rebled in the proper order again in the same fashion and we found more air. After that second time, it was money and the brakes were perfect.
    oh ok, well that's cool... maybe I can get them to work better with another bleed or 2.

oh ok, well that's cool... maybe I can get them to work better with another bleed or 2.
    Yeah, it's an annoyingly fickle process. Probably one of my least favorite things to do on a car.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Yeah, it's an annoyingly fickle process. Probably one of my least favorite things to do on a car.
    Ever use one of these? Thinking I'm going to bite the bullet as it would save me a lot in the long run.

Amazon.com: Motive Products Custom Ford Power Bleeder(0107) Ford 3 Tab: Automotive

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdbrendan View Post
    Ever use one of these? Thinking I'm going to bite the bullet as it would save me a lot in the long run.

Amazon.com: Motive Products Custom Ford Power Bleeder(0107) Ford 3 Tab: Automotive
    Buy it. It's one of my favorite tools that I own. I can bleed the whole brake system in < 30 minutes. It also does a perfect bleed every time.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

love to buy one guys, but I just can't afford that right now :-(

Buy some speed bleeders and be done with it.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    Buy some speed bleeders and be done with it.
    actually went to pick them up, but my local western auto, but they only had 2 packs of a few different sizes.. so I still only would have gotten 2 of them. Then I go to the hardware to get some clear tubing... guess what? They were out of 1/4", so I just got some 3/16 or 5/16... don't remember which now... probably still won't fit though.

well I tried to re-bleed the brakes and the first bleeder bolt reamed off... such a surprise. Now I have to get another one tomorrow. Do you all know if a local auto parts store will have it and if so, which part number or whatever do I need? I tightened it down enough that I know it holds fine, so I can't take it out to check it against the new one.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdbrendan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    Buy it. It's one of my favorite tools that I own. I can bleed the whole brake system in < 30 minutes. It also does a perfect bleed every time.
    love to buy one guys, but I just can't afford that right now :-(
    I have one. Worth every penny and then some.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

well I went to Napa and again... surprise!, it was the wrong part lol. A 10 6 point socket still fits it fine, so I put the old one back in and went ahead and gravity bled that side. I got a lot of small bubbles that I could see under my light on my phone... I let it go for about 25 min and they all had finally stopped, I am going to gravity bleed the rest of the system later tonight and let each side go. That has got to be part of the pedal feel problem.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.