Experienced WRX owners' choice for order of performance upgrades (1st time new owner)

This is a discussion on Experienced WRX owners' choice for order of performance upgrades (1st time new owner) within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am reaching out to the experienced owners on here for advice on the order in which I should upgrade ...

Experienced WRX owners' choice for order of performance upgrades (1st time new owner)

I am reaching out to the experienced owners on here for advice on the order in which I should upgrade my 2013 WRX sedan.
    It came from the factory with an SPT exhaust. I replaced the factory deck with a Pioneer, the four speakers with Alpine Type R's and added a 10" sub/amp. I also tinted 30% all around and added OEM rain guards. Now it's time for drivability upgrades. This is my DD which is a mix of ~66/33 local and highway driving. I am no granny when I drive, but I am not a crazy young kid either.
    I have compiled a list of performance upgrades I would like to make over time, but I can't afford them all at once. I will get it tuned after 60k miles when my
    warranty expires.
    I am asking for your opinions on what order I should proceed with.
    So here are the upgrades in no particular order:
    -Hawk HPS or Hawk ceramic or Stoptech brake pads(not sure which-I want a quiet pad)
    -Whiteline front sway bar with kartboy endlinks and spacers
    -Whiteline rear sway bar with kartboy endlinks and spacers
    -OEM SPT short shifter kit w/STI bushings
    -SPT or Grimspeed turbo shield
    -PTP or Perrin turbo blanket
    -defi red racer turbo boost guage

Also looking for opinions on winter performance tires (17" as I wont be buying winter wheels).

TIA!
    Last edited by E-A-G-L-E-S; 08-28-2013 at 09:15 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do it all at one time.

None of those things will really cause any problems with warranty.

I'd honestly skip the SPT short shifter. Look for the Kartboy short shifter and bushings instead.

Read into Stage 2 when you want to get a tune...that will be worth it. I'd honestly look for a stage 1 tune now if you could (search for WTF Tuning on this site)...it will really help with the smoothing of the powerband. The stock tune is terrible. THEN you can do the blanket and shielding when you do stage 2, since you have to remove the stock heat shield at that time to change the downpipe.

When you do pads, look into swapping fluid for Motul or ATE, as well as doing a master cylinder brace (Grimmspeed), as well as stainless steel lines.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Alright, will be ordering sway(s) tomorrow. I have read that a rear only 22mm resolves 99% of the understeer from some online.
    1. Is it wise to just do the rear, or should I definitely do both?
    2. Is there any reason to consider Perrin over Whiteline?
    3. 22mm, 24mm, or 25mm for front?
    4. 22mm, 24mm, or 25mm for rear?
    Last edited by E-A-G-L-E-S; 08-29-2013 at 10:19 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I'd honestly skip the SPT short shifter. Look for the Kartboy short shifter and bushings instead.
    + 1

I only have the SPT short throw because it came that way. It's sill very long (compared to my previous car -350z) but of you want it we could make a deal when I swap it, all you would need is the bushings.

~ jtk07~
    using Tapatalk - please disregard typos!

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post
    Alright, will be ordering sway(s) tomorrow. I have read that a rear only 22mm resolves 99% of the understeer from some online.
    1. Is it wise to just do the rear, or should I definitely do both?
    2. Is there any reason to consider Perrin over Whiteline?
    3. 22mm, 24mm, or 25mm for front?
    4. 22mm, 24mm, or 25mm for rear?

The car is made to understeer.. simply putting a stiffer rear to induce more oversteer would likely degrade performance, you're not going to make it around a track as fast because you're causing the rear to skid out before it normally would. If you're concerned about handling performance then you need to do both front and rear sway bars at the same time.

How stiff you want your sway bars depends on the other components of your suspension. Personally, I consider springs first.. you decide how stiff vs. ride comfort you want and base your spring rate selection on that. Then you want to have your dampers valved according to your spring rates, and thickness of sway bars determined by stiffness of spring/strut combo. You don't want stiff swaybars with soft springs, otherwise you will be three wheeling through corners, and four tires provide more grip than three. But stiffer sways will provide crisper turn in and more control all around. You really need to think about the suspension as a whole to decide which direction you want to go with each component.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    The car is made to understeer.. simply putting a stiffer rear to induce more oversteer would likely degrade performance, you're not going to make it around a track as fast because you're causing the rear to skid out before it normally would. If you're concerned about handling performance then you need to do both front and rear sway bars at the same time.

How stiff you want your sway bars depends on the other components of your suspension. Personally, I consider springs first.. you decide how stiff vs. ride comfort you want and base your spring rate selection on that. Then you want to have your dampers valved according to your spring rates, and thickness of sway bars determined by stiffness of spring/strut combo. You don't want stiff swaybars with soft springs, otherwise you will be three wheeling through corners, and four tires provide more grip than three. But stiffer sways will provide crisper turn in and more control all around. You really need to think about the suspension as a whole to decide which direction you want to go with each component.
    +1. How long have you owned your wrx? I would get pretty intimate with how it handles before changing the suspension. Oh, and I went with the DEI turbo blanket. It's a bit more pricey, but it is very well made and conforms to the hot side very well. I have pics if u want to see it. That being said, whiteline sways and katrboy end links are a great combo, and are what I have used in the past.