Snow Tires: going from a WRX to STi?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Snow Tires: going from a WRX to STi? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I likely will be trading in my 2013 WRX for a 2014 STi. Last winter I had a dedicated set ...

Snow Tires: going from a WRX to STi?

I likely will be trading in my 2013 WRX for a 2014 STi. Last winter I had a dedicated set of snow tires: General Altimax Arctic 215/55 R16 on black steel wheels. I chose that combination based off recommendations on this forum. However, being that the bolt pattern on the STi is different than the WRX, I will need to mount the tires on a new set of wheels to use them on the STi. I was either considering doing this (assuming there would be no issue with this combo on a STi?) or selling the combo to my friend or someone else with a WRX and buying a new set of wheels/snow tires. I've read Nokian Hakkapeliitta R's are pretty cream of the crop when it comes to snow tires, however, they are fairly expensive the larger the wheel diameter. Would you aim to stay around the same dimensions of 215/55 on a 16 inch wheel for the Hakka's as one did for the Altimax Arctic's or would you err towards a larger diameter wheel as a base closer to the OEM 18 inch wheels that come on the STi?

My best guess is that when I do ultimately trade in for the STi, I will likely have to already have the set of wheels for the winter season ready to go right on. Therefore, I'm trying to figure out what route I'll have to go as early as I can. Thanks ahead of time for any and all feedback!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Doubt 16s will clear the Brembos
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

^this. The 16s won't clear Brembos at all.

Sell your current set. Buy a new setup.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Doubt 16s will clear the Brembos
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    ^this. The 16s won't clear Brembos at all.

Sell your current set. Buy a new setup.
    I had forgotten to consider that, any recommendations? If I were to possibly invest in some Hakka R's how big/what size would I have to get to clear the brakes?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by olenderc
    I had forgotten to consider that, any recommendations? If I were to possibly invest in some Hakka R's how big/what size would I have to get to clear the brakes?
    225/45/17 would probably work just fine if you can find a 17x7.5 or 17x8 wheel.

I'd suggest using a tire calculator to find out what size in 17" would keep your speedometer reading closest.

You won't be disappointed with the Nokians. I love mine (Hakkapeliitta 7s)...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I'd be interested in your black steelies. I have a 2013 WRX, looking at 16"/Nokian Hakkapeliitta R's I live in NH so not to far away. Thanks

D
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    225/45/17 would probably work just fine if you can find a 17x7.5 or 17x8 wheel.

I'd suggest using a tire calculator to find out what size in 17" would keep your speedometer reading closest.

You won't be disappointed with the Nokians. I love mine (Hakkapeliitta 7s)...
    Looks like 225/50 R17 would be within about 0.6% of the speedometer reading, so I guess I narrowed down my search to 225/50 R17 Hakka R's, now I just have to find a decent looking cheap wheel..

I have XXR 530 17x8.25 with 235/45/17 Nokian Hakka R2's for winter. Best tires you can buy without going studded.

The cheapest I can find the Nokian Hakka R's 225/50 R17 for a set of 4 is $729 + 60 shipping. Add on an okay-looking set of wheels for a minimum of about $500 and I'm looking at a solid $1300 for a dedicated winter setup...yikes.

Do most people end up spending this much for a winter setup? I thought I was spending a decent amount when I bought my Altimax Arctic's on plain black steelies for a little over $800..

my R2's cost me $1200 without rims

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid2k View Post
    my R2's cost me $1200 without rims
    Is there a major difference between the R and R2?

Does anyone recommend any decent looking wheels in 17 x 8 that are a minor step up from steelies. I've been googling for the past two hours or so and I seem to only stumble across the same wheels and/or whatever tire rack offers, of which there are only a few around 500-600 per set that I would actually consider getting:

MOTEGI RACING MR118: 17 x 8 +45mm $133 per wheel http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

Sparco Drift: 17 x 8 +48mm $144 each http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

Sparco Tarmac: 17 x 8 +45mm $148 each http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

Quote Originally Posted by olenderc View Post
    Is there a major difference between the R and R2?
    Nokian has a company policy that they will not release a new version of a tire, unless its specs are at least 10% better than its predecessor. Having said that, the Hakka R's will still beat any other tire available.. I just couldn't order them here since most retailers cleared them out.

Pick up a set of GD series STi 17" BBS wheels. There are a lot of them out there used. I just bought a set in excellent condition for $500 off my local Craigslist. According to TireRack 235/45/17 is the size to use on the new STi. Now I just have to decide on tires!

I Support ClubWRX
    I actually use my stock wheels. Then upgraded the wheels for the summer (made more sense to me to put extra money into a nice set of summers rather than winters, which will get beat up...that being said, I did get my stockers powdercoated for the winter). I am running 235/40/18's on my stock wheels for the winter, which are currently blizzaks. I am happy with the blizzaks, but will also be getting Nokians for my next set.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.