kazera kz-y with sumitomo htrz on sti?

This is a discussion on kazera kz-y with sumitomo htrz on sti? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys. I'm shopping for rims and tires for my 04 STI on stock suspension. I've heard great things about ...

Registered User ModernRevolution's Avatar

kazera kz-y with sumitomo htrz on sti?

Hey guys. I'm shopping for rims and tires for my 04 STI on stock suspension.
    I've heard great things about the sumitomo htrz III tires... Especially for the price.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....cleSearch=true

I haven't heard anything though about these kazera kz-y rims though so I'm wondering if anyone has used them on an STI. They have a 45 mm offset with 6.26 backspacing for the 18x8's.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...ce&showRear=no

My original choice is the 18x8 rota grids with hankook ventus but I kinda like the look of the kazeras better other then they with be harder to clean with all those spokes.

But the big factor here is price.
    I can get the rota package for $1823 shipped.
    I can get the kazera package for $1275 shipped.

So I don't want to buy cheap crap but I also don't want to get robbed for paying for names. So can someone compare the quality of these rims and tires for me? Thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    To be honest the stock BBS and stock rubber are head and shoulders above all you've mentioned. You're paying to downgrade.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    To be honest the stock BBS and stock rubber are head and shoulders above all you've mentioned. You're paying to downgrade.
    That wasn't one of the options. I bought my car used with 17" ASA rims with 3 year old blizzaks on them which endanger my life every time I hit the gas. So which of my 3 and why? Unless you know of a better setup between those prices.

Edit: or I can get the kazeras with the hankook ventus shipped for $1288. Maybe that's the way to go. So more then anything right now I'd appreciate if someone wheel savvy can verify that those kazera rims will clear my brembos?
    Last edited by ModernRevolution; 08-20-2013 at 09:31 AM.

Nobody familiar with these?

Registered User Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Avatar
    I'm going to be honest here, you have a Subaru STi which means hard cornering is a given and if you plan on any AutoX or off road driving, neither of these wheel options is ideal. I was going for Rotas, but I decided on going with a better quality wheel that won't break when going over potholes. I have no personal experience with cheap wheels, but I was pointed in the non-cheaping-out direction by a professional wheel dealer who said that when one cheap wheel breaks when the more expensive one wouldn't, it offsets the cost. There's also peace of mind, etc. but I wouldn't cheap out on wheels considering the damage that can occur to the rest of your car when something goes wrong.

As for tires, I'd say go look at reviews on Tirerack. The Sumimotos seem to be of far less quality than the Hankooks, and the Hankooks also fared well in a recent Car and Driver tire comparo. Just e glad you don't live in Canada where I have to pay the price of a good Michelin tire for a not so good Sumimoto tire.
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

Thanks for the advice. I plan on getting some good racing wheels next year after I upgrade the suspension so i can fit the 9.5's. But for now I don't do any auto cross or anything on the track. Just street and highway stuff. So I want something not too pricey but not garbage.

From what I've been able to look up it seems that kazera is owned by as a and as a is owned by BBS so I would think the quality should be decent enough for the street. And I live in NY where every road is covered in cracks and potholes and raised metal plates and manholes and my current asa wheels have held up fine thus far.

I contacted tire rack and they swear the kazeras will be a good fit so I'm gonna give them a shot.

Sounds like a good plan. Plus, you can always use these Kazeras as a winter wheel so you don't damage your good ones when you buy them. If the brand is owned by BBS, I'd imagine quality control will be fine as well.
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

I haven't really ever heard of anything good about Sumitomo tires...people usually only get them if they are too broke to afford something better.

Those wheels are also almost 23lbs a piece by themselves...that's rather ridiculous. While Rota's themselves aren't the epitome of good wheels either, they are better than the Kazera's you're looking at. They kinda look rather meh to me as well. But that's my opinion. I'd be looking at something like OZs or Enkeis if you want a good wheel at a good price.

You don't pay for a name when it comes to a lot of car parts...you pay for quality manufacturing (forged over casting), quality materials, and much more extensive research and development...think about that.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

O.Z and Enkei wheels are cast, not forged (with the exception of the forged line, but they aren't what you would call a good price). However, as mentioned, you pay for the R&D, superior manufacturing process, lightness, and strength.

If you want a step up from Enkei or O.Z, you can get Work or SSR wheels which are the same quality as the O.Z and Enkeis, but forged rather than high quality cast (lighter and stronger yet). You'd be looking at 1400-ish for the O.Z or Enkei wheels, v.s 2100-ish for Work or SSR wheels. Volk/Rays is another step up, but you pay for the brand somewhat as well.

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

Def appreciate the advice. I will be looking into all those wheels. Obviously if I was rich I would just buy the good ones... But unfortunately life doesn't work that way so right now I just want a set that's safe for daily aggressive driving.

From what I've read, very seldomly do the cast wheels crack... And those that I've seen cracked seem to only be from heavy racing and car accidents. I plan on neither for a while... And if an accident happens....it's not the wheels I'm gonna care about.

That being said, once I fix my car up more and do suspension work I do plan on saving up for some really official rims and I will be looking at those brands you guys have recommended and I appreciate it. Right now I just need something decent that looks good.

I didn't notice though how heavy those rims are. That is ****ty. i guess thats why they have such and awesome price. I'll keep looking

For what you're doing, and as a temporary solution, I'd look into used wheels. Search forums (not just Subaru) and buying/selling websites like Craigslist.

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

Ya know I thought about it. But I've had bad luck before with getting a bent rim that would vibrate at speeds so I try to avoid used wheels as it's impossible to tell visually if there is a slight bend.

Quote Originally Posted by ModernRevolution View Post
    Def appreciate the advice. I will be looking into all those wheels. Obviously if I was rich I would just buy the good ones... But unfortunately life doesn't work that way so right now I just want a set that's safe for daily aggressive driving.

From what I've read, very seldomly do the cast wheels crack... And those that I've seen cracked seem to only be from heavy racing and car accidents. I plan on neither for a while... And if an accident happens....it's not the wheels I'm gonna care about.

That being said, once I fix my car up more and do suspension work I do plan on saving up for some really official rims and I will be looking at those brands you guys have recommended and I appreciate it. Right now I just need something decent that looks good.

I didn't notice though how heavy those rims are. That is ****ty. i guess thats why they have such and awesome price. I'll keep looking
    You'd be surprised...its not all just racing or accidents. A lot of Rotas will shatter when hitting pot holes or debris in the road...every day kind of stuff. I mean, it's few and far between, but the cheaper wheels are more likely to go out on something like that than a better wheel.

I'd be on the lookout for some used 04 STI BBSs if I were you. They are just sexy wheels (I had an 05 STI, I love them). They are strong as hell, and very lightweight for a stock wheel. Plus, they look the best. Then you can ultimately turn them into your winters and find a really good set of wheels when you have money saved up.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    ^I second the BBS, Those were my first choice. Excellent wheels and within the same price as what OP is looking at.

I have RFP1's, extremely lightweight, moderate price, and they're not exactly cast or forged, they have a different way they're made that adds extra lightness and strength. They're the lightest of all, stronger than regular cast and a proven wheel. Very popular with autoX-ers and racers. I got mine for about $1200 new (almost the price of rotas). Enkei racing are good wheels.

Hankook ventus are good all season tires...somewhat of an oxymoron to people. But for a daily they've served me well in snow, rain, and summer heat and handle reliably.

And to be honest, you would be fine with rotas. Many people buy them and turn out perfectly fine, however a larger percent of them don't turn out well in comparison to other wheels. The chance of catastophe is still very small regardless.

I'd say 1 in 4 people who bought a set of rotas have at least one bent wheel out of the set where I live due to road conditions, small bends but enough to make the steering wheel shake at exactly 65mph. The bends probably wouldn't have occured on more expensive/stronger wheels. Rotas are surprisingly popular on subarus though.
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 08-23-2013 at 09:21 AM.