Wheels Powdercoated, Sanding where Lug Nuts Touch

This is a discussion on Wheels Powdercoated, Sanding where Lug Nuts Touch within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I got a set of wheels powdercoated and when I got the tires mounted, the wheels were not put ...

Wheels Powdercoated, Sanding where Lug Nuts Touch

So I got a set of wheels powdercoated and when I got the tires mounted, the wheels were not put on the car, the people that mounted recommending sanding off the powdercoat where the lug nuts would come down into the wheel, ie around the stud holes. Does anyone know WHY they would say this, he said "You dont want to lose a wheel". Does anyone have any sort of recommendation as to why I should do this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

im getting my wheels powdercoated and dont plan on sanding where they go. if this was the case wouldnt you sand where your wheels are painted? no. but thats just my .02$.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

I Support ClubWRX
    When I got mine powdercoated they actually taped off that section as well as the back of the wheel where they connect to the hub. It provides a more solid contact area. I would sand it down, but it probably won't make a huge difference. If you don't sand it down, it will get scratched from the lugs anyway.

How exactly is it a more solid contact area? IF the lug nuts are Torqued down as much as they need to be...... I am just not seeing why it would matter unless tightening them down on powdercaoting would somehow LOOSEN the lug nuts......
    I dont know, Im just asking.
    I find it dubious at best that it would matter.....

I Support ClubWRX
    Its because they are not making direct contact with the metal. Powdercoating is a thicker material than paint. Paint you don't really have to worry about because it is so thin. Like I said earlier, I wouldn't be hugely concerned with it, but I can see how the lugs might be more likely to come loose over time. Just check the torque on them occasionally and you should be fine.

I would actually be more concerned with damaging the powdercoat than anything...If you torquing of the wrench makes the powdercoat crack, it could possibly lead to more flaking.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ITS-STI View Post
    How exactly is it a more solid contact area? IF the lug nuts are Torqued down as much as they need to be...... I am just not seeing why it would matter unless tightening them down on powdercaoting would somehow LOOSEN the lug nuts......
    I dont know, Im just asking.
    I find it dubious at best that it would matter.....
    I'm no pro when dealing with lugs and powdercoating, but FYI on the "is this possible" note:

Every surface has different coefficients of friction when mated against another surface. For example, glass on glass may be higher than glass on wood. It is a property of the materials in question and how their surfaces align with each other. In the case of your wheels... the lug nut may have a much lower coefficient of friction when seated against a power coating as opposed to seating against the wheel itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro