Now have SS lines and ST pads, but pedal still has a lot of play...

This is a discussion on Now have SS lines and ST pads, but pedal still has a lot of play... within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Do I need to get the master cylinder brace? For those who have them, does it make a big difference ...

Now have SS lines and ST pads, but pedal still has a lot of play...

Do I need to get the master cylinder brace? For those who have them, does it make a big difference with pads and lines? I have Valvoline brake fluid and all of the lines have been bled.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    ST?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    ST?
    Stop tech

I Support ClubWRX
    Have you brought it out for a ride yet? When I changed my lines it took a few good pumps of the brakes before I noticed the pedal feeling stiffer. The brake pads won't have any impact on the pedal feel so if you are looking for a stiffer pedal you probably want to look into the master cylinder brace. Interesting that you didn't notice a fair difference because when I did mine (Goodrich ss lines and Super blue fluid) I noticed a pretty good change. How did you bleed the fluid...pumping it out with your pedal or with an actual bleeder?

I Support ClubWRX
    I had a shop swap on SS lines and ATE Superblue into the bugeye, and the difference was very noticeable the moment I drove away. As suggested, I'd recheck the line bleeding again and see if any extra bubbles in the lines.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Sounds like a bad bleed to me. Was there any improvement to the pedal feel at all?

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Have you brought it out for a ride yet? When I changed my lines it took a few good pumps of the brakes before I noticed the pedal feeling stiffer. The brake pads won't have any impact on the pedal feel so if you are looking for a stiffer pedal you probably want to look into the master cylinder brace. Interesting that you didn't notice a fair difference because when I did mine (Goodrich ss lines and Super blue fluid) I noticed a pretty good change. How did you bleed the fluid...pumping it out with your pedal or with an actual bleeder?
    No, I did the old pedal and cracking the bleeder method.

I mean it's not like OMG this is HORRBILE type bad, but you have to push a fair amount, I mean they won't just bite right away unless the pedal is down a fair amount. I know a lot of people use the ATE fluid, but TBH fluid doesn't cause the pedal to be stiffer somehow does it? I mean does it somehow have more compression than just regular Valvoline fluid?

Quote Originally Posted by mcdbrendan View Post
    Sounds like a bad bleed to me. Was there any improvement to the pedal feel at all?
    Yes, there was a little bit better feel. When I had gotten my lines and bled the brakes, it helped a little, but I was less than impressed.

I wanted to come back to this thread because i'm just been thinking about it for a while. I don't recall the order in which I bled the brakes, but I found it on here ... several times so i'm pretty sure it was correct I just pumped the pedal about 10 times, my brother in law cracked the bleeder, he looked for bubbles and after all of them were out I did it one more time just to make sure, before moving to the next side. I also made sure to fill it up at any time that it started to get low and then after I was done, it was filled to the max line.

Does it sound like something got screwed up in the process maybe?