Matching springs for proper sping rates?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Matching springs for proper sping rates? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, Don't post much in this forum but I figured its time seek advice from a new crowd. Sorry ...

Matching springs for proper sping rates?

Hey guys,
    Don't post much in this forum but I figured its time seek advice from a new crowd. Sorry if I posted in the wrong place or for lack of finding info. So I just bought a set of JDM V8 Sti struts/springs/top hats for my bugeye. I know the spring rates and all that but I hear all of these people talking about the "bobble head effect" and what not. I was planning to get some springs to get rid of the fender gap, nothing crazy just level and less of a gap. What I need to know is how should the spring rates be in relation to the stock settings? I hear closer to stock however, I hear people say you want to tighten the spring rate so its not bouncy. So what is an ideal spring rate for a good drop and keeping the ride bobble head free? Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    What year and model car? What do you use it for? Which do you value more, comfort or handling? Do you ever plan on adding aftermarket swaybars in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    What year and model car? What do you use it for? Which do you value more, comfort or handling? Do you ever plan on adding aftermarket swaybars in the future?
    02 Wrx.. She is my dd but I do a lot of spirited driving. I value comfort a little more but I still want really good handling. I may consider adding sways in the future depends on where I' am at mod wise with her at that point. Currently cobb stg.2, sti up pipe and with the new sti strut set up I will most likely stay at stage 2 for a while.

Edit: I also have an 04 STi steering rack if that makes a difference for the spring set up. Car has 114k on it so replacing everything that is worn and like i said I want to eliminate the wheel gap while gaining performance but still having a comfortable DD.
    Last edited by Buzzard11; 08-10-2013 at 06:29 PM.

Any recommendations for springs? I can't justify spending more than $300 for springs so no RCE's etc. MY strut set up was way cheaper than those springs!

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know of a set of struts for less than $500 that will handle aftermarket springs..

The stiffer the springs the more your car will bounce. That is why it is a necessity to get good dampers. Dampers are what control the spring motion. My advice to you is to stay with the springs you got with the struts.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Thanks for the input guys. I will keep that stuff in mind. However, I' am looking for someone to chime in here who has tried this set up and can tell me their experiences with it. I have heard great things about v8 takeoffs with aftermarket springs but also heard things that relate to what you guys just said... Hopefully someone will share their input..

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard11 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. I will keep that stuff in mind. However, I' am looking for someone to chime in here who has tried this set up and can tell me their experiences with it. I have heard great things about v8 takeoffs with aftermarket springs but also heard things that relate to what you guys just said... Hopefully someone will share their input..
    Maybe call TIC and see what thoughts they might have? - Turn in Concepts
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

That is not a bad idea.. I might do that if i don't find my answer. I guess what I originally want to know is how much stiffer of a spring rate over stock is considered over damped?

The combo you bought has already been prepared by Subaru. They did all the work for you. Just install them on your car. Your stock dampers are probably blown badly by now. The STi springs are good springs. No need to buy anything stiffer. If you do want stiffer/lower springs then you need to get adjustable dampers. Don't make this more complicated. Trust me just swap out the struts and you will like the new ride.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    The combo you bought has already been prepared by Subaru. They did all the work for you. Just install them on your car. Your stock dampers are probably blown badly by now. The STi springs are good springs. No need to buy anything stiffer. If you do want stiffer/lower springs then you need to get adjustable dampers. Don't make this more complicated. Trust me just swap out the struts and you will like the new ride.
    Thanks for your input. I understand that it is not really needed however I have heard people saying the v8 suspension is bouncy from the factory and stiffer springs eliminated some of the bounce. I may just leave them the way they are we will see. Either way I still am trying to learn something here.. So can anyone answer my question? When is or how much stiffer of a spring rate over stock is considered over damped? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard11 View Post
    When is or how much stiffer of a spring rate over stock is considered over damped? Thanks
    Your not getting it. If you up the spring rate and do nothing to the damper then you are getting into the under damped situation. If you want to get into the over damped situation use your stock WRX springs with the STi Dampers. Not sure if this is possible though.

It sounds like you are young. If this is the case are you in school? I spent a whole semester trying to learn this stuff in controls class. Here is a brief intro into a spring, mass, damper control system. This will open your eyes on how complex this stuff can be. That is why I suggest you just stick with the combo you bought. Subaru has done the math for you. Don't listen to everyone on the internet.

http://homepages.wmich.edu/~kamman/M...ionControl.pdf

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    Your not getting it. If you up the spring rate and do nothing to the damper then you are getting into the under damped situation. If you want to get into the over damped situation use your stock WRX springs with the STi Dampers. Not sure if this is possible though.

It sounds like you are young. If this is the case are you in school? I spent a whole semester trying to learn this stuff in controls class. Here is a brief intro into a spring, mass, damper control system. This will open your eyes on how complex this stuff can be. That is why I suggest you just stick with the combo you bought. Subaru has done the math for you. Don't listen to everyone on the internet.

http://homepages.wmich.edu/~kamman/M...ionControl.pdf

Hope this helps.
    Just graduated last semester. I did not go to school for this stuff but I am not new to cars. However I have just started really digging into suspension stuff though so I have a lot to learn. And its not that I listen to what I hear from the internet its that I listen to people who have experienced things first hand. Thanks for the link looks interesting and yes very complex.

I saw an Audi that was dropped too low and it was just bouncing. That must be the bobble head effect you are hearing about. It would be awful to drive a car set up so badly.

How many miles on your bugeye? Is it bouncy now?

I Support ClubWRX
    How many miles on the struts? They are wear items, so they may need a valving refresh.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast