All season tires options?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on All season tires options? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Looking in to replacing the summer tires on my '13 WRX Limited 5-door with a good all season tire. Any ...

All season tires options?

Looking in to replacing the summer tires on my '13 WRX Limited 5-door with a good all season tire.
    Any suggestions for longevity, durability, and excellent handling?
    I also tossed around the idea of steel wheels with winter tires. Suggestions there too?
    Or which would be best?

Thanks, Brandi

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have toyo proxis 4's that I had scipped and they work out really well in the winter... I live in Salt Lake City and Utah has their "world famous powder" snow hence why we're one of the best ski/snowboard locations in the world...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I Support ClubWRX
    I would get a dedicated set of wheels/tires for winter and summer. I am not a fan of all season tires. You pay a little more up front, but in theory the two sets will last you a lot longer. I had all seasons on my impreza 2.5i and they did "ok," but now that I have winter tires, I can never go back. And it is nice to have a good high performance tire for the summer. For winters I have blizzaks, which I like, but for my next set I am going with Nokians, which I have heard good things about. Wear out your stock dunlops and then get something nicer, that will be a huge improvement in handling.

Two sets of wheels is always better than one. Whether you need legit winter tires on the second set or not depends greatly on the weather you get during the winter. If it is constantly <40 degrees F and you see snow, then they are probably a good bet.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I understand the 2 sets of tires idea. But, in practice, when to you swap? Do you swap back and forth often depending on the forecast? How much do you drive on the winters when there's no snow/ice? It seems like there could be large runs of time when you're driving winter tires in the dry above freezing and dealing with sloppy handling.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mmiller2002 View Post
    I understand the 2 sets of tires idea. But, in practice, when to you swap? Do you swap back and forth often depending on the forecast? How much do you drive on the winters when there's no snow/ice? It seems like there could be large runs of time when you're driving winter tires in the dry above freezing and dealing with sloppy handling.
    I'm from Maine. Winter here is winter. You don't want summers on at any point during winter unless you want to end up in a ditch or wrapped around a tree. I put my summers on mid/late-may, and put my winters on late-november. My winter tires handle just fine on dry roads. You just don't want to leave them on once it gets too warm if you want them to last.

I Support ClubWRX
    Common misconception that winter tires are only for snow. Below 50 degrees the grip of summer performance tires deteriorates. Performance winter tires are pretty good in the dry in winter.

I'd get a set of winters. Save the stock tires for warmer temperatures. All seasons are a bad choice if you want performance. They tend to be equally bad in the winter & in the summer.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Peachypumpkincheeks

Since I'm not made of money and I'm not rallying my Subie, I'm a fan of all-seasons.

I've been rockin' Kuhmo Ecsta ASX tires since I've owned my WRX (multiple sets). Even through Virginia's Snowmageddon 2010.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Thank you for the information. I was looking on Tire Rack for rims. I found a couple brands for $99 a piece. But is there a steel rim out there that I can slap some winter tires on for even cheaper?
    I'm also having a difficult time finding the OEM rim specs. Could someone post them?

Thank you, Brandi

Ok, so found the Blizzak LM-60(Performance Winter / Snow) on tire rack. There are two different blizzak's. I liked the specs of these.
    Opinions?
    Still interested in the steel wheel?

I saw a white WRX the other day close to where I live... you aren't on the eastern shore are you?
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
    Thank you for the information. I was looking on Tire Rack for rims. I found a couple brands for $99 a piece. But is there a steel rim out there that I can slap some winter tires on for even cheaper?
    I'm also having a difficult time finding the OEM rim specs. Could someone post them?

Thank you, Brandi
    Ok, so found the Blizzak LM-60(Performance Winter / Snow) on tire rack. There are two different blizzak's. I liked the specs of these.
    Opinions?
    Still interested in the steel wheel?
    Your OEM wheel specs are 17x8 +53 offset 5x100 bolt pattern. They come stock with 235 45 r17 tires.

The blizzaks are a fine tire. I have been running them for 3 winters and am happy with them. Not the top of the line, but they get the job done.

Methodical4u,
    No, it was not me. I live in the Frederick County, MD area.
    11blackSTi,
    Thank you for the information.

Brandi

Methodical4u,
    11blackSTi,
    Thank you for the information.

Brandi
    oh ok, I was just curious because I don't see them around here very often at all actually.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

Methodical4u,

Brandi
    No kidding. Small world! I'm sure I'll see you around. +1 to 2 sets of tires (winter/summer). With MD weather winters go on in Dec and come off late march, early april.
    2013 DGM Hatch WRX - STI STS currently only mod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast