All season tires options? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on All season tires options? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by mmiller2002 I understand the 2 sets of tires idea. But, in practice, when to you swap? Do ...

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller2002 View Post
    I understand the 2 sets of tires idea. But, in practice, when to you swap? Do you swap back and forth often depending on the forecast? How much do you drive on the winters when there's no snow/ice? It seems like there could be large runs of time when you're driving winter tires in the dry above freezing and dealing with sloppy handling.
    I agree with this... in Md we definitely do get hit with some hard storms during the winter, but there have been some winters where 2" of snow on the road was the most we had maybe a few times during the winter. I have had the conti DWS' on my old MS3, my Wife's old MS3 and on my Evo X. The sidewalls are soft yes, but you will get snow traction like you've never had (except for dedicated snow tires). Me personally.. I would rather have a good summer tire that has good rain traction... if it's snowing that bad out, then I should be home with my Wife and child. With AWD I've driven on my extreme summer advans and though you have to slow way down to turn and be cautious when stopping... you can get to where you need to go.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    I agree with this... in Md we definitely do get hit with some hard storms during the winter, but there have been some winters where 2" of snow on the road was the most we had maybe a few times during the winter. I have had the conti DWS' on my old MS3, my Wife's old MS3 and on my Evo X. The sidewalls are soft yes, but you will get snow traction like you've never had (except for dedicated snow tires). Me personally.. I would rather have a good summer tire that has good rain traction... if it's snowing that bad out, then I should be home with my Wife and child. With AWD I've driven on my extreme summer advans and though you have to slow way down to turn and be cautious when stopping... you can get to where you need to go.
    Sure, if you are careful enough you could be fine. What happens when you have to slam on your breaks or you hit ice and your car goes into a ditch? Not worth it for me honestly. I had a similar opinion about all-seasons on my old car, because I had never used winter tires before and I didn't realize how much of a difference they make. When I had to buy winter tires for my STi (because I bought it in the winter and it came with summers), it opened my eyes to how good dedicated winter tires perform compared to all season (and especially summers). I will never not have winter tires again. To each their own, and if someone feels like they can limp through winter on summer tires they can have at it. To be honest though it scares me that there might be people with similar beliefs driving on the same roads that I drive on in the winter.

I'm starting to think about what to get myself for the NH winter as well. I would think that all weather tires would be ok with awd but apparently not. I don't plan on spirited driving during the winter so I don't care about any performance aspect. Are all weather tires really that bad or does brand make a big difference? Any good looking wheels for winter tires? I would hate to have steel wheels on my car for 5 months. I suppose I could get hubcaps..........

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
    I'm starting to think about what to get myself for the NH winter as well. I would think that all weather tires would be ok with awd but apparently not. I don't plan on spirited driving during the winter so I don't care about any performance aspect. Are all weather tires really that bad or does brand make a big difference? Any good looking wheels for winter tires? I would hate to have steel wheels on my car for 5 months. I suppose I could get hubcaps..........
    All seasons are not necessarily "bad," but they are not good. If you drive like a grandma all winter you would probably be fine (JK my grandma used to drive like a maniac). I survived many winters in my old impreza in all seasons, but now that I have experienced true winter tires, I know that there is no comparing the two. Even if you are not spirited driving, the safety factor a true winter tire adds is undeniable. If you ever plan on getting after market wheels, put some winters on your stock wheels and then summers on the aftermarket ones. If not, look around on here for people selling their stock wheels...Or like you said, you can get steelies. They don't look that bad. Well worth it in my opinion to have winter tires on.

Here is a nice little chart that I tend to keep on hand and reference back to when I am tire shopping-

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

But personally I like the Achilles ATR Sport all seasons because they way outperformed my Toyo Proxes 4's and are much quieter and about 1/3rd the cost. I found them on tires-easy.com for like $60 each

Thanks guys.

Thanks for all the replies. There was a guy selling steelies with the winter tires on this forum. He posted and like vanished. I've posted 2 replies and 2 pm's and nothing. I had made my mind up that I was going to go with winter tires, then changed to all season, now back to winter. Lol. I'm essential personnel where I work, so I need to be able to get there even during harsh weather. Where can I find steel wheels?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. There was a guy selling steelies with the winter tires on this forum. He posted and like vanished. I've posted 2 replies and 2 pm's and nothing. I had made my mind up that I was going to go with winter tires, then changed to all season, now back to winter. Lol. I'm essential personnel where I work, so I need to be able to get there even during harsh weather. Where can I find steel wheels?
    Did you talk to this guy? Looks like the tires are a little used, but you might be able to get one winter out of them. And OEM wheels.

2009 wrx stock rims with winter tires

You can get a whole winter package with steel wheels and the tires of your choice mounted and balanced from tirerack.com Or, you could source the wheels from a local scrapyard or search craigslist maybe. You'll want a 16 x 7 wheel with a 5 x 100 bolt pattern. Come to think of it, a local tire shop might sell steelies as well.
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

Quote Originally Posted by djk5077 View Post
    You can get a whole winter package with steel wheels and the tires of your choice mounted and balanced from tirerack.com Or, you could source the wheels from a local scrapyard or search craigslist maybe. You'll want a 16 x 7 wheel with a 5 x 100 bolt pattern. Come to think of it, a local tire shop might sell steelies as well.
    aaaahhh you answered my question. I'm thinking 16" for the steeliess. And looking at Nokians. Like Brandi I'm considered essential, and we get some pretty good white stuff in NH.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

The guy had gone out of town. He got in touch with me and I picked them up last Saturday. I know a bit about tires and how to inspect them. They are in excellent condition. Priced from tire rack was $770. I paid $400 for the set. If I take good care of the tires, they should last awhile. I'm thinking of slapping on either hub caps or painting the steelies.

Definitely go with a winter package! There is nothing greater than blowing by trucks in parking lots!
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

Quote Originally Posted by twister8008 View Post
    Definitely go with a winter package! There is nothing greater than blowing by trucks in parking lots!
    I'm looking forward to this! :-)
    Purchased 7/17/13: 2013 WRX Limited- satin pearl white: short throw shifter, Perrin cat-back, and some other stuff. ;-)

It is definitely fun!
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12