Suspension talk [2002 - 2007 WRX]
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Suspension talk [2002 - 2007 WRX] within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys After lots of time figuring out the proper route for my build, i really want to focus early ...

Suspension talk [2002 - 2007 WRX]

Hey guys
    After lots of time figuring out the proper route for my build, i really want to focus early on my suspension components before moving into any hard engine modifications ( Up-pipe being the exception)
    Really my question is does any one have any pointers on fairly inexpensive/trusted brands? Can someone explain coil- overs and lowering springs to me? (Noob question) do I need both?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Coilovers are usually a full package (springs, struts, shocks, top hats/camber plates) and u don't need lowering springs with them. Coilovers also have a lot more adjustability compared to spings/strut combo. Lowering springs, some work with stock struts but would do well to pair with a good set of aftermarket stuts and top hats.

What's your budget and what are you planning on doing with the car? Daily/track/autocross/rally/hellaflush?
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 08-02-2013 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Coilovers are usually a full package (springs, struts, shocks, top hats/camber plates) and u don't need lowering springs with them. Coilovers also have a lot more adjustability compared to spings/strut combo. Lowering springs, some work with stock struts but would do well to pair with a good set of aftermarket stuts and top hats.

What's your budget and what are you planning on doing with the car? Daily/track/autocross/rally?
    Purely daily but I want enhanced handling. Just something that sticks well in corners.

Most people on here will tell you upgrade tires and alignment first, which is good advice. Do you want to keep stock wheels and tires? if you're purely daily driving I would say consider upgraded/stiffer bushings as well. That will really enhance the "feel" while maintaining your stock tires and wheels. And I would go with springs/struts over coilovers for daily because coilovers can be pretty harsh and they probably wouldn't work well with stock tires and wheels.

popular lowering spring are STi pinks, Epic, look at fastwrx.com
    Common struts are kyb, tokico
    Also, STi take-offs are a good option too.
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 08-02-2013 at 07:05 PM.

One step ahead of you with the wheels and tires. Pretty sure those are cheap. But I wi consider that. My biggest worry about the coil overs was the ride quality with the various conditions in Michigan ( winter mostly).

Most people on here will tell you upgrade tires and alignment first, which is good advice. Do you want to keep stock wheels and tires? if you're purely daily driving I would say consider upgraded/stiffer bushings as well. That will really enhance the "feel" while maintaining your stock tires and wheels. And I would go with springs/struts over coilovers for daily because coilovers can be pretty harsh and they probably wouldn't work well with stock tires and wheels.

popular lowering spring are STi pinks, Epic, look at fastwrx.com
    Common struts are kyb, tokico
    Also, STi take-offs are a good option too.
    ^^^ my last comment

It all depends on your tolerance. Stiff ride to me may not be stiff to you. The salt might corrode those coilovers and you might lose the adjustability pretty quickly, especially daily driving. But like I said they're generally pretty harsh. Most people go lowering springs for a driver. Is there an enthusiast group near you where you can maybe ride-along and check out different susp. setups?

check out what post number 8 says in this thread lol:
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ht=bulletproof
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 08-02-2013 at 07:23 PM.

It all depends on your tolerance. Stiff ride to me may not be stiff to you. The salt might corrode those coilovers and you might lose the adjustability pretty quickly, especially daily driving. But like I said they're generally pretty harsh. Most people go lowering springs for a driver. Is there an enthusiast group near you where you can maybe ride-along and check out different susp. setups?

check out what post number 8 says in this thread lol:
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ht=bulletproof
    Thanks for the help and input. Ill explore through the forum and see what I find.

Edit: I've been looking at these
    http://www.cobbtuning.com/Subaru-02-...r-p/912250.htm

I've been looking online and I notice how whiteline doesn't offer any suspension packages and buying their products separately can be quite expensive.

Any urgent alternatives any of you would recommend. Keep in mind I'm looming for full kits.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugeyemania
    Edit: I've been looking at these
    COBB Tuning - Subaru 02-07 WRX Front & Rear Anti-Sway Bar

I've been looking online and I notice how whiteline doesn't offer any suspension packages and buying their products separately can be quite expensive.

Any urgent alternatives any of you would recommend. Keep in mind I'm looming for full kits.
    24mm F / 22mm R Whiteline swaybars (both adjustable) are less than you pay for the Cobb kit, and I prefer Whiteline (solid) to Cobb (hollow).

That said, before adding aftermarket parts, I'd consider replacing the wear items on your car (struts, mounts, bushings, etc.):
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1990539

Before choosing replacement struts, decide what springs you'd be looking to install, so you can do everything in one stop, so you're not:
    1) Doing the install multiple times
    2) Paying for an alignment each time
    Last edited by EJ257; 08-03-2013 at 01:44 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    24mm F / 22mm R Whiteline swaybars (both adjustable) are less than you pay for the Cobb kit, and I prefer Whiteline (solid) to Cobb (hollow).
    I noticed that hollow bar and was wondering who the hell came up with that idea. But when I was looking into kits it was because I wanted to go ahead and replace the mounts while I was going to be under the car and that is when things became pricey. Just exploring my options.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes. They're a hollow bar, as well. Cusco is also hollow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugeyemania
    I noticed that hollow bar and was wondering who the hell came up with that idea. But when I was looking into kits it was because I wanted to go ahead and replace the mounts while I was going to be under the car and that is when things became pricey. Just exploring my options.
    The replacement mounts are only for the rear bar with the Cobb kit. For a basic swaybar setup that will only see street duty, it's not really worth it.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

The more and more i search I really do start to realize that Whiteline is the only option and for apparent reasons. Just need to suck it up because you get what you pay for.

RCE Springs are good, too. Add Koni inserts and you will be great for the street. I love mine, and it is pretty good for the occasional track day, too.

Coil-overs have got to be overkill and not well suited to daily driving.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast