Need new rotors and pads for my car..

This is a discussion on Need new rotors and pads for my car.. within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 06 wrx and am looking to replace my pads and rotors all the way around. im just ...

Need new rotors and pads for my car..

I have an 06 wrx and am looking to replace my pads and rotors all the way around. im just looking for everyones opinion on what they prefer in upgraded brakes. I dont do autocross or racing or anything but I am pretty hard on my brakes. So I need somegood pas and rotors that will withstand heat. I was thinking ebc yellow stuff and their slotted rotors. Input?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thankyou for those. I'm new to this site and just started checking things out. it looks like the common census is hawk hps pads? It looks like hawk hps or ebc's would be fine. but now i have to decide on a rotor. it just looks like theres so many out there and theres a lot of them that i've heard good things about. so how do i decide? i just want a rotor that will stay cool and not warp. and brake pads that will stop on a dime but not produce too much brake dust.. its really important that i find something that will take a beating but wont be destroyed a year down the road.

So whats everyone using on their cars and their opinion on them????

I Support ClubWRX
    If you want better stopping distance, you need proper tires. Tires are the only part of your car that touch the road, so if they can't grip, it doesn't matter how well your brake setup grips...

Anything above blank rotors is more for looks than performance. Centric Premiums are a good inexpensive option.

If you're concerned with dust, you want ceramic pads. However, they don't have the best grip when cold, so that's something to consider. Personally, I'd say get a semi-metallic pad (e.g., StopTech), and just spray down the wheels every few days to eliminate any brake dust.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    If you want better stopping distance, you need proper tires. Tires are the only part of your car that touch the road, so if they can't grip, it doesn't matter how well your brake setup grips...

Anything above blank rotors is more for looks than performance. Centric Premiums are a good inexpensive option.

If you're concerned with dust, you want ceramic pads. However, they don't have the best grip when cold, so that's something to consider. Personally, I'd say get a semi-metallic pad (e.g., StopTech), and just spray down the wheels every few days to eliminate any brake dust.

I just got brand new tires that are great. I dont have an issue with stopping and i currently dont have an issue with my brakes, except for the fact that i've warped two rotors in the last 6 months and those were just inexpensive blanks. i dont really care for the flashy looking rotors but i've heard slotted will keep them cool and prevent warpage. and i can deal with a little brake dust but from what i've heard from a lot of people was not to cheap out on the pads.

ClubWRX.net Vendor Fast Tuning Products's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    We have many different brake pads and rotors available here. Lots of customers always seem to go for the Hawk HPS pads and DBA slotted rotors. I personally also run that setup and love it. The only downside is the brake dust.

Send us a PM. We can talk different combinations and prices.
    Available Nights and Weekends Via E-mail and Private Message!!
    We want to Earn your Business!
    Give Us a Call Monday - Friday 10a-6p EST to order by phone!
    724-708-3044
    Need a price matched or beat? Email Us: sales@fasttuningproducts.com
    Like Us on Facebook: www.FaceBook.com/FastTuningProducts
    www.FastTuningProducts.com
    We Accept Paypal/Visa/MasterCard/American Express/AMEX/Discover

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post

It's interesting actually. I'd like to see a test done to see if the money is actually worth getting drilled and slotted vs. standard. I would imagine unless you are on the track and need every bit of heat dissipation possible the drilled and slotted might come in handy, but I can't help but think that the simple case of more surface area might still have an advantage since they get so hot no matter which ones you use.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecrew13 View Post
    ...I dont do autocross or racing or anything but I am pretty hard on my brakes. So I need somegood pas and rotors that will withstand heat...
    If you drive the streets, what do you mean by "I am pretty hard on my brakes."? There should be no heat issues with stock-type pads with responsible street driving...

I just use AutoZone blanks with AutoZone ceramics for the daily street driving. They work fine, really. And, as a plus, they aren't dusty. For the track, I swap in better pads for the heat.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

I ordered mine from rock auto, was very inexpensive

got some centric premium blanks and posiquiet pads...does the job and its quiet!

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller2002 View Post
    If you drive the streets, what do you mean by "I am pretty hard on my brakes."? There should be no heat issues with stock-type pads with responsible street driving...

I just use AutoZone blanks with AutoZone ceramics for the daily street driving. They work fine, really. And, as a plus, they aren't dusty. For the track, I swap in better pads for the heat.
    I know that the stock tires have a lot to do with stopping, but I have to say that I really wonder if running HPS pads would perform better for the simple reason that they are made to. If you are stomping on your brakes or just pushing them a little harder than normal and the tires are not locking up then they should have little to nothing to do with stopping distance I would think. Perhaps the stock brake pads just suck like other issues with these cars such as the cheap paint, weaker pistons, etc.

I take my car out on the trails in the mountains a lot. And just up to the mountains in general whether theres snow or not. Which if you actually take your offroad you know going back down the trails wears hard on your braking system. I also drive a lot putting about 1500-2000 miles on my car a month and a lot of its in constant traffic. I also like to have a little fun with it and take it out in rural areas on straight aways. So yes the brakes do take a beating every now and then. And I already know I go through brakes a lot faster than other people. Cost isnt an issue for me and im not looking for anything fancy. But I am looking for somet hi ing that'll withstand more than just a little putting around town. I'd prefer to spend the money now on something that'll last me a long time rather than keep buying rotors every 6 months or so. Cause thats annoying.

Thankyou though for all the information and advice though. I appreciate everyone replying!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecrew13 View Post
    I take my car out on the trails in the mountains a lot. And just up to the mountains in general whether theres snow or not. Which if you actually take your offroad you know going back down the trails wears hard on your braking system. I also drive a lot putting about 1500-2000 miles on my car a month and a lot of its in constant traffic. I also like to have a little fun with it and take it out in rural areas on straight aways. So yes the brakes do take a beating every now and then. And I already know I go through brakes a lot faster than other people. Cost isnt an issue for me and im not looking for anything fancy. But I am looking for somet hi ing that'll withstand more than just a little putting around town. I'd prefer to spend the money now on something that'll last me a long time rather than keep buying rotors every 6 months or so. Cause thats annoying.

Thankyou though for all the information and advice though. I appreciate everyone replying!
    If cost isn't an issue then get a bbk and good tires