Let's talk tires
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Let's talk tires within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So many times I see people asking about handling on their WRX and how to make it better. Many times ...

Let's talk tires

So many times I see people asking about handling on their WRX and how to make it better. Many times I see the response that "you should get tires first". I'm not disputing this answer. However, ask I have come from 2 Evo's I've had the very sticky advan 140 series tires. I HATED them. They were like taking pieces of chewed gum and making them really hot so they could throw rocks all over your car. I later on had to change tires and got the conti dws. of course I could immediately feel the tire roll a lot more BUT the car would still hold corners quite well considering they are a 520 series iirc.

At the time I had my X, many were going with the ventus v-12's which are (like our stock tires) a 280 series. Some went with the star specs if they did some track days or wanted a good tire that seemed to last a bit longer than the advans.

I'm a fan of being a better driver and using what you have to the best of your ability. That being said, we all I think understand that eventually physics takes over and some things simply must be done to make the car handle better.

Now I do understand, as with anything that numbers do not tell the whole story of what a tire can do vs another one.

So... I wanted to get people to chime in on what tires they believe are better than the OE's, but aren't sticky to the point where every little stone gets thrown onto our already cheap ass paint.

Your choice after your stockers went our were... what?, why? and how did you like them?
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Cooper RS3-S's seem to be the general consensus on the forum right now.

I personally have the Cooper RS3-A's because I had to get tires in the winter and didn't have enough to get two sets. I love them. I can't speak for the S's but if the grip on my A's is any indication I'm sure they're awesome.

The price was right, they are non-directional so I can rotate them properly and they have a pretty good tread life.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

When you say "140 series" "520" "280" are you referring to treadwear? While the treadwear rating vary more-or-less directly with the traction of the tire, using these numbers to judge the quality of the tire will give you only an idea as to their normal longevity and little more. You need to look at the traction and temperature ratings primarily for a vehicle such as the WRX. When considering high performance tires, treadwear is likely the last thing on your mind. Much in the same way, when considering an AWD turbo vehicle (or any sports car, really) fuel consumption ratings are not really your (my) concern.

Regarding the WRX, I've only used the Dunlop OE tires. It's my daily driver but I like to press it on tight winding roads and hard turns. The grip seems decent but given the price range of the tire, I feel as though the sidewall is too soft. And a single "A" rating for $200/tire is piss-poor, in my mind. This is being said, however, with just barely 500 miles on the car and, therefore, nowhere near top throttle. Having said they are decent though, I prefer a grippier tire and stiffer side walls. For less money, at that.

The next tire will likely be a Bridgestone Pole Position--I've enjoyed every PP I've owned. Depending on price, a Pirelli is a possibility too although I've historically noticed more road noise with them.

I Support ClubWRX
    Michelin Pilot Super Sport. The best tire I've had on the WRX in 9+ years. Treadwear # is 300. The treadwear number is only comparable within a given manufacturers range of tires. A 300 from Bridgestone is not the same as a 300 from Michelin.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Michelin Pilot Super Sport. The best tire I've had on the WRX in 9+ years. Treadwear # is 300. The treadwear number is only comparable within a given manufacturers range of tires. A 300 from Bridgestone is not the same as a 300 from Michelin.
    I second these. I love the MPSS. Hands down best tire I've ridden on any car. Ever. I will definitely be buying them again. Great grip, smooth ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I third these. If you are staying in the summer tire category, then these seem to out perform all others and are considerably cheaper than most. Best bang for your buck, best tread life, and they are so so much quieter than the dunlops that my 2010 wrx came with. Night and day difference!

I ordered these through Wal-Mart's website, all four were $813.00 free shipping. Considering they beat the Dunlops in every way, and much cheaper...how can u afford to not get these?

Quote Originally Posted by tesla317 View Post
    I third these. If you are staying in the summer tire category, then these seem to out perform all others and are considerably cheaper than most. Best bang for your buck, best tread life, and they are so so much quieter than the dunlops that my 2010 wrx came with. Night and day difference!

I ordered these through Wal-Mart's website, all four were $813.00 free shipping. Considering they beat the Dunlops in every way, and much cheaper...how can u afford to not get these?
    In for number 4, the PSS is hands down the best tire I've ever had. I'm just north of 1k miles on mine and while they are a little sticky (can hear plenty of gravel/rocks after bringing them to heat), the performance is completely worth it.

EDIT: I should note I just got mine 3 weeks ago from Tirerack for $770 shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Zataks View Post
    When you say "140 series" "520" "280" are you referring to treadwear? While the treadwear rating vary more-or-less directly with the traction of the tire, using these numbers to judge the quality of the tire will give you only an idea as to their normal longevity and little more. You need to look at the traction and temperature ratings primarily for a vehicle such as the WRX. When considering high performance tires, treadwear is likely the last thing on your mind. Much in the same way, when considering an AWD turbo vehicle (or any sports car, really) fuel consumption ratings are not really your (my) concern.

Regarding the WRX, I've only used the Dunlop OE tires. It's my daily driver but I like to press it on tight winding roads and hard turns. The grip seems decent but given the price range of the tire, I feel as though the sidewall is too soft. And a single "A" rating for $200/tire is piss-poor, in my mind. This is being said, however, with just barely 500 miles on the car and, therefore, nowhere near top throttle. Having said they are decent though, I prefer a grippier tire and stiffer side walls. For less money, at that.

The next tire will likely be a Bridgestone Pole Position--I've enjoyed every PP I've owned. Depending on price, a Pirelli is a possibility too although I've historically noticed more road noise with them.
    I understand the series of the tire doesn't tell the whole story... that wasn't really what I meant, but is sort of a loose gauge of how hard or soft the tire is so you can figure you will get better grip from a 280 vs say the 520 I had mentioned.

So no one has tried the Ventus v-12's on these cars?

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    Looks like there's plenty of feedback on the V12s. Google results

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post

Hundreds (if not thousands) of people have..

For what it's worth, Matty was running v12s until one of them failed catastrophically while exiting the highway. He now has Cooper RS3-S installed and seems to prefer them over the v12s.

Let's talk winter real quick. I've been advised not to deal with the all weather tires since I live In NH. But go for a second set of strictly snow. Recommendations ???? I've done some homework blizzards, Altimax, Nokian , the latter I've heard are awesome ($$$$),opinons ???? Also looking at 16 inch steelies for mounting.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cogito View Post
    Let's talk winter real quick. I've been advised not to deal with the all weather tires since I live In NH. But go for a second set of strictly snow. Recommendations ???? I've done some homework blizzards, Altimax, Nokian , the latter I've heard are awesome ($$$$),opinons ???? Also looking at 16 inch steelies for mounting.
    I haven't ridden Nokians, but from what I hear they are the best. I am going to get those for my next winter set. I currently use Blizzaks and for the money I was happy, but not in love with them.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Hundreds (if not thousands) of people have..

For what it's worth, Matty was running v12s until one of them failed catastrophically while exiting the highway. He now has Cooper RS3-S installed and seems to prefer them over the v12s.
    Well I asked because I have a friend who can get them very cheap locally and so when it comes time to change tires (assuming I still have the car) I wouldn't mind getting them since the price is better IF they are considered a good tire for this particular car.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    They're decent.. most complaints are about the soft sidewalls. I would be concerned about quality control issues, with the tread separating from the tire. Not a risk I was willing to take, so I decided on the Coopers, they're pretty inexpensive for a performance tire.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    They're decent.. most complaints are about the soft sidewalls. I would be concerned about quality control issues, with the tread separating from the tire. Not a risk I was willing to take, so I decided on the Coopers, they're pretty inexpensive for a performance tire.
    I'll have to find out about those from my local guy and see if those are on his list.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.