Let's talk tires - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Let's talk tires within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by cogito Let's talk winter real quick. For years I didn't have the money for a second set ...

Quote Originally Posted by cogito View Post
    Let's talk winter real quick.
    For years I didn't have the money for a second set of rims/tires for my Toyota Matrix Xrs so ran all-season tires. Always UHPAS, tried Pirelli, Kumho, and Bridgestone and felt the Bridgestone (RE/960AS IIRC) we're the best but also most expensive. Pirelli wasn't a far off second and Kumho (Ecsta ASX) was a pretty decent tire and well worth the $100 each.

However, if you have the option, go winter and summer wheels & tires.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Zataks View Post
    For years I didn't have the money for a second set of rims/tires for my Toyota Matrix Xrs so ran all-season tires. Always UHPAS, tried Pirelli, Kumho, and Bridgestone and felt the Bridgestone (RE/960AS IIRC) we're the best but also most expensive. Pirelli wasn't a far off second and Kumho (Ecsta ASX) was a pretty decent tire and well worth the $100 each.

The Conti DWS' are king when it comes to an A/S tire IMO. I had an MS3 that I took out one night in 10 inches of snow with those things and while the grip isn't like a dedicated winter tire... they are a closer second than any other A/S out there. I had read a ton of reviews before I bought them and they just got such great feedback that I had to try them. Even in the dry I was pretty impressed.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

My Cooper RS3-As are excellent snow and wet tires. I was able to blaze my own trails on Interstate before it was cleared after 8 inches of snow.

Last night in torrential rains (I live in McPherson County Kansas, look it up) I was able to maintain 50 mph without hydroplaning and was able to press forward when many cars and trucks pulled over and gave up.

Consumer Reports really likes my Coopers too.

Sent from my Infected Rezound using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Cerealkillah; 07-30-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zataks View Post

Oddly enough my brother in laws friend over in Baltimore worked at a mech shop and could get 4 of the 960's mounted and balanced for I think 650 or 700. It's been a while so it might have been even a bit less than that. He works at another place now so i'll have to check on which tires he can get. I have 15k on my car, but I know I could get another 10 or more k out of my tires now. I don't drive them very hard at all because I know they aren't the best to corner with.

I just purchased a set of Michelin X-ice xi2 for $430 shipped off tirerack.com today. They will be my winter tires this year.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

No one here likes/uses the star specs? To sticky of a tire for a non track car?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u
    They are a great tire for someone looking for a middle ground between fantastic traction vs budget...

I generally give three tire recommendations when looking for a summer/winter tire...
    1) Budget
    2) Mid-range
    3) High-end

Category 2 recommendation has traditionally been the Star Spec line, as it's a great tire for someone looking to spend in the middle of $125-200+/corner.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    They are a great tire for someone looking for a middle ground between fantastic traction vs budget...

I generally give three tire recommendations when looking for a summer/winter tire...
    1) Budget
    2) Mid-range
    3) High-end

Category 2 recommendation has traditionally been the Star Spec line, as it's a great tire for someone looking to spend in the middle of $125-200+/corner.
    But if you had your choice you would pick?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    Yep, had two sets of them. Fantastic grip, but rather noisy and rain performance degraded quickly after the tread was new. I've sort of retired from autox and wanted solid performing street tires. Good reading: Monsters of Grip: Nine Summer-Performance Tires Tested - Comparison Test - Car and Driver

Consumer Reports also scored the MPSS at the top. It was the longest lasting tire in their HP Summer test by a significant margin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UHP.JPG  
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 07-31-2013 at 03:54 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Thread has been cleaned up. Lets keep this on track.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Yep, had two sets of them. Fantastic grip, but rather noisy and rain performance degraded quickly after the tread was new. I've sort of retired from autox and wanted solid performing street tires. Good reading: Monsters of Grip: Nine Summer-Performance Tires Tested - Comparison Test - Car and Driver

Consumer Reports also scored the MPSS at the top. It was the longest lasting tire in their HP Summer test by a significant margin.
    This is good to look at, thanks for posting it up. I honestly never heard many good things about the Eagles... perhaps they have changed them in the last year or 2 though. I do recall several years ago seeing a test for top summer tires in which (IIRC) the star specs were first and the V-12's were second BUT they had admitted that Hancook had just come out with their RS-3's so they did not get a chance to test them both or instead.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Thread has been cleaned up. Lets keep this on track.

This is good to look at, thanks for posting it up. I honestly never heard many good things about the Eagles... perhaps they have changed them in the last year or 2 though. I do recall several years ago seeing a test for top summer tires in which (IIRC) the star specs were first and the V-12's were second BUT they had admitted that Hancook had just come out with their RS-3's so they did not get a chance to test them both or instead.
    Yes, Car and Driver's previous test (2009?) had the Star Specs on top. I think that is linked in the 2012 article.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

Yes, Car and Driver's previous test (2009?) had the Star Specs on top. I think that is linked in the 2012 article.
    yeah, I knew it was several years ago and admittedly I am not as up on the newer tires that might be out. I also had wondered how the Vrdestein Sessenta's perform on these cars. Interesting tread patten on those.

I Support ClubWRX
    yeah, I knew it was several years ago and admittedly I am not as up on the newer tires that might be out. I also had wondered how the Vrdestein Sessenta's perform on these cars. Interesting tread patten on those.
    If you look at several of the newer UHPS tires they have four wide offset groves similar to the MPSS. There is probably something to those F1 style wet tire (or tyre if happen to be SD_GR) tread patterns.
    Mods & Pics

If you look at several of the newer UHPS tires they have four wide offset groves similar to the MPSS. There is probably something to those F1 style wet tire (or tyre if happen to be SD_GR) tread patterns.
    Those are water channels for hydroplaning resistance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast