Need some input about suspension
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Need some input about suspension within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What's up guys? I want to upgrade my suspension on my 02 WRX. I'm thinking about coilovers although the car ...

Need some input about suspension

What's up guys? I want to upgrade my suspension on my 02 WRX. I'm thinking about coilovers although the car isn't going to be on the track....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Before adding any parts to the car, two things need to be addressed:
    1) Tires
    2) Alignment

Crappy tires with baller suspension will still handle like crap. OE alignment specs, from a performance standpoint, suck. Fix those two issues first, then start throwing parts at the car.

That said, what's your budget? On a car your age, mounts/bushings will make a BIG difference in the way your car feels. Rubber wears out, and you're looking at an 11-12 year old vehicle. Replacing all of them will tighten everything up, and will be noticed on both spirited and non-spirited driving.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I will be upgrading all bushings, and I don't mind spending the money, it's not an issue. I'd have to take some time to save up, but I'd rather out something good on then half ass crap.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by onth3run View Post
    I will be upgrading all bushings, and I don't mind spending the money, it's not an issue. I'd have to take some time to save up, but I'd rather out something good on then half ass crap.
    To help you on your quest for mount/bushing refresh:
    Old Bush New Bush Refresh
    TiC Stage 1 - Steering
    TiC Stage 2 - Driveline
    TiC 02-05 5MT super shifter set - Wide
    Unabomber&#39s Sexy Rearend
    Beatrush Forged Pitching Stopper Mount Subaru Models (inc. 2002-2013 WRX / STI) S146010BC-AD at RallySportDirect.com

Depending on what suspension setup you go with, either go new OE tophats, Group-N F/R, Whiteline Com-C (front) / OE or Group-N (rear), or Camber Plates (front) / OE or Group-N (rear). The recommendation will vary based on your budget and the equipment you choose to buy. That would finish off all the mounts/bushings in your car.

Swaybars should be matched to your spring rates. So until you figure out what springs (and subsequently, what struts) you plan to go with, this is a moot point. The nice part about buying adjustable bars is that if you decide to upgrade your struts/springs later on, you can increase the stiffness of the sways to reflect that, if necessary.

Items like anti-lift kits and roll center adjusters are other great options, but if you plan on any kind of motorsports (e.g., Auto-X), these KILL your classing. If you're just in it to have a good time, do it. My ALK is my favorite suspsension mod to-date, but I don't have any desire in being competitive; I just care about having fun and improving throughout the day (where I rank in my class means nothing to me).

You need to set an honest, realistic goal of how much you're willing/able to spend...
    Last edited by EJ257; 07-20-2013 at 05:46 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    To help you on your quest for mount/bushing refresh:
    Old Bush New Bush Refresh
    TiC Stage 1 - Steering
    TiC Stage 2 - Driveline
    TiC 02-05 5MT super shifter set - Wide
    Unabomber&#39s Sexy Rearend
    Beatrush Forged Pitching Stopper Mount Subaru Models (inc. 2002-2013 WRX / STI) S146010BC-AD at RallySportDirect.com

Depending on what suspension setup you go with, either go new OE tophats, Group-N F/R, Whiteline Com-C (front) / OE or Group-N (rear), or Camber Plates (front) / OE or Group-N (rear). The recommendation will vary based on your budget and the equipment you choose to buy. That would finish off all the mounts/bushings in your car.

Swaybars should be matched to your spring rates. So until you figure out what springs (and subsequently, what struts) you plan to go with, this is a moot point. The nice part about buying adjustable bars is that if you decide to upgrade your struts/springs later on, you can increase the stiffness of the sways to reflect that, if necessary.

Items like anti-lift kits and roll center adjusters are other great options, but if you plan on any kind of motorsports (e.g., Auto-X), these KILL your classing. If you're just in it to have a good time, do it. My ALK is my favorite suspsension mod to-date, but I don't have any desire in being competitive; I just care about having fun and improving throughout the day (where I rank in my class means nothing to me).

You need to set an honest, realistic goal of how much you're willing/able to spend...
    Yeah, I'm more into just having fun with the car. No serious racing or bringing it to the track. Just want something that rides comfortable and feels smooth. I've had mustangs and Hondas at the drag strip with the stiffest suspension and all that. This is my daily so I just want to find something good for me.

Yeah, I'm more into just having fun with the car. No serious racing or bringing it to the track. ...This is my daily so I just want to find something good for me.
    I think that coil-overs are not appropriate for your goals. They would be noisy and harsh compared to a good strut-spring combo + replacement/improvement of the old rubber bits underneath.

Look at Koni inserts and springs like RCE or others that have been shown to be good with konis.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller2002 View Post
    I think that coil-overs are not appropriate for your goals. They would be noisy and harsh compared to a good strut-spring combo + replacement/improvement of the old rubber bits underneath.

Look at Koni inserts and springs like RCE or others that have been shown to be good with konis.
    A lot of people have told me to go with Koni yellows, that it was one of the best/smoothest rides they've had. I also wanted to drop the height a little also, so maybe a good pair of lowering springs also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

The RCEs do drop the car a bit. The yellows a bit more than the blacks, iirc.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I think I'm going to go with the Koni yellow's and some lowering springs. I will buy the bushing upgrade kit also. Then its on to all my engine work..

FYI Koni only has yellows for WRXs...
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller2002 View Post
    FYI Koni only has yellows for WRXs...
    Yeah, I'm gonna go with them I think

I'm rocking Koni's and RCE Black springs now. Somebody somewhere said you don't know exactly when your struts are worn out until you replace them. Man-o-man do I enjoy my ride now. I haven't really pushed it through a corner yet but back and forth to work I can feel the awesomesauce.
    I've got 24/22 sways w/kartboy endlinks too. The sways made the car feel so much more responsive and connected to the road. I'd say they were my favorite upgrade of the two just because how immediate the difference is. Again I haven't really done any "real" driving on the konis yet. Just DD.
    TIC has got some deals, call them up. They are smart folk that aren't just trying to sell you something. They want you smiling while you drive your WRX.

p.s. check my build thread for legit-ness
    pete25r's bugeye progress (pic heavy)
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

Quote Originally Posted by pete25r View Post
    I'm rocking Koni's and RCE Black springs now. Somebody somewhere said you don't know exactly when your struts are worn out until you replace them. Man-o-man do I enjoy my ride now. I haven't really pushed it through a corner yet but back and forth to work I can feel the awesomesauce.
    I've got 24/22 sways w/kartboy endlinks too. The sways made the car feel so much more responsive and connected to the road. I'd say they were my favorite upgrade of the two just because how immediate the difference is. Again I haven't really done any "real" driving on the konis yet. Just DD.
    TIC has got some deals, call them up. They are smart folk that aren't just trying to sell you something. They want you smiling while you drive your WRX.

p.s. check my build thread for legit-ness
    pete25r's bugeye progress (pic heavy)
    Thanks for the input. I'm definitely going to go with the Koni's. Do the RCE springs drop the ride height at all?

I'm definitely going to go with the Koni's. Do the RCE springs drop the ride height at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    The RCEs do drop the car a bit. The yellows a bit more than the blacks, iirc.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    RCE Blacks drop Front 1"(25mm) ,Rear 1"(25mm).

RCE Yellows drop Front 0.6"(15mm),Rear 0.6"(15mm)
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast