Suspension under $1000
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Suspension under 00 within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello everyone thank you for reading and posting your thoughts in this thread. I own a 2003 WRX, and I ...

Suspension under $1000

Hello everyone thank you for reading and posting your thoughts in this thread.

I own a 2003 WRX, and I think my suspension needs attention, It might not be long until my car rides like a boat. So here I am looking to seek an advice from all parts of the world.

I don't have much to spend on suspension work, Might do it myself, I only have $1000 budget for a set of 4. I'm gearing toward adjustable coilovers but (Obviously my price range would land me in a bad quality) it looks like an impossible thought for the price I want.

Do you have anything to suggest on whats a good name out there, should I go for coilovers, or should I go for struts and springs for my Budget PRICE?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you track your car? If not, go struts/springs. Koni is a good name.

I Support ClubWRX
    Struts/springs

With a car that age, you're going to want to replace the entire assembly. With a $1000 budget, I'd say do the following:
    KYB GR-2 struts
    Swift Sport springs
    New OE mounts (F/R)
    Camber bolts (rear)
    Alignment (custom spec, not OE) - max out the front bolts as much negative as you can without cross-camber (-1.2-1.5), dial back the rear to -.8-1.0 (I like ~.5 less in the rear vs the front), and zero toe all around

That will freshen up the struts (which are likely pretty worn on a 10+ year old car), give you a little better stance, a bit of a handling upgrade, while staying within your budget.

Ride quality, looks, handling...all improved. Where the $1000 coilovers you were considering, wouldn't do all that.
    Last edited by EJ257; 07-16-2013 at 05:07 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Here's my $1000 suspension recommendation.

Cheap softish set of springs (STI take offs will work) $50-$300
    kyb gr2 struts $350ish
    rear camber bolts $50ish
    whiteline ALK $260
    custom alignment $100?? Or DIY
    New front top hats $60

Optional:

whiteline com c front top hats $200
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

no, I don't track anymore. I just daily drive my car now. I will look into koni brand. thank you

$1000 isnt really enough for a good set of adjustable coilovers. unless your planning to track the car just replace the worn out stuff. get a decent set of shocks and springs and throw in some poly bushings while your down there. other than that not really a point unless your going to try to race around some corners on a public road at double the speed limit and kill someone
    2013 wrx sedan(saving up for a 2015 STI)

Previous faist cars: '05 Mustang GT '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSubielove View Post
    no, I don't track anymore. I just daily drive my car now. I will look into koni brand. thank you
    Also look into what EJ257 and 06wrx4me suggested. They know more about this stuff than I do. I am still on stock suspension on my STi (although I do have way better tires and a customer alignment, which was a dramatic improvement in handling).

Thank you, I will look into this one.

You mentioned about the struts being freshen up, are you talking about the alignment will cause it, or everything? I'm looking into KYB GR-2 struts. thanks, it will land me under my budget which is a good thing.

I would like to be able to tackle corner. do the KYB GR2 and Swift Sports Springs that EJ257 and 06wrx4me suggested and may be add a sway bar? will that do the trick?

will do.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Struts/springs

With a car that age, you're going to want to replace the entire assembly. With a $1000 budget, I'd say do the following:
    KYB GR-2 struts
    Swift Sport springs
    New OE mounts (F/R)
    Camber bolts (rear)
    Alignment (custom spec, not OE) - max out the front bolts as much negative as you can without cross-camber (-1.2-1.5), dial back the rear to -.8-1.0 (I like ~.5 less in the rear vs the front), and zero toe all around

That will freshen up the struts (which are likely pretty worn on a 10+ year old car), give you a little better stance, a bit of a handling upgrade, while staying within your budget.

Ride quality, looks, handling...all improved. Where the $1000 coilovers you were considering, wouldn't do all that.
    BTW, Negative camber, wont that cause my wheels to be angled a little? Should I be concern of uneven ware on the inside of my tires? mmmmmmm

I Support ClubWRX
    The tops of the wheels will angle inwards. I've never been concerned. See alignment info in sticky threads; other angles do matter for wear (e.g. toe).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

ClubWRX.net Vendor Fast Tuning Products's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you're interested in some pricing send us a PM.
    Available Nights and Weekends Via E-mail and Private Message!!
    We want to Earn your Business!
    Give Us a Call Monday - Friday 10a-6p EST to order by phone!
    724-708-3044
    Need a price matched or beat? Email Us: sales@fasttuningproducts.com
    Like Us on Facebook: www.FaceBook.com/FastTuningProducts
    www.FastTuningProducts.com
    We Accept Paypal/Visa/MasterCard/American Express/AMEX/Discover

I Support ClubWRX
    FWIW on the sway bars....

Your car came with 2 sway bars, they are pretty small but work. If you upgraded both bars, end links, and mounts, you could come close to $1000 alone on just that stuff. Since your struts are blown, I say save them for later.

The Whiteline Anti Lift kit I mentioned for $260 is a definite feelable upgrade.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by MrSubielove View Post
    BTW, Negative camber, wont that cause my wheels to be angled a little? Should I be concern of uneven ware on the inside of my tires? mmmmmmm
    For good handling, negative camber is necessary to create the most contact possible when within the turn. A -1 or -1.5 degree of camber shouldn't wear your tires out too much more than normally, especially if you're good at keeping them rotated properly. Many others here are running -1.5 to -2 degrees just fine.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.