Suspension under $1000 - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Suspension under 00 within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by EJ257 That uses up 0 of the 00 budget true, but anything worth doing is worth doing ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    That uses up $850 of the $1000 budget
    true, but anything worth doing is worth doing right lol. KYBs would work too OP
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister
    true, but anything worth doing is worth doing right lol. KYBs would work too OP
    Koni Yellows / Tokico D-Specs, as well as higher rated springs, are a better choice than what I listed from a ride quality / performance standpoint. Then get into firmer tophats and/or camber plates. Then consider swaybars and endlinks to account for the increased spring rates. Factor in all the worn bushings that are in need of replacement, as well. It's a slippery slope.

Within the budget constraints, they didn't fit the bill.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Guys, when did Matt get so serious
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Guys, when did Matt get so serious
    Since Zax and Drews became so jaded at anything Subaru
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Lol, if the rear isn't adjustable then I must have been dreaming that I went to the alignment shop.
    A good alignment shop can do a little - if they are willing. Yes - there is no 'adjustable' hardware stock. However, you'd be surprised the amount of camber you can get if you have someone (or two) people pushing on the upper part of the wheel while the strut bolts are loose. Then you torque them back down while pushing. You should be able to pick up another -0.5 deg if the shop is willing to do this. That's how much I got.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The OEM hardware IS adjustable. There are two bolts attaching the spindle to the strut. The lower bolt has an oval shaped lobe on it that changes the camber angle when turned. Every alignment shop I have been to (aside from Texas Track Works) in the last 11 years has told me it's not adjustable, until I point that bolt out to them.

I can probably provide a picture of the bolt if anyone would like.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    The OEM hardware IS adjustable. There are two bolts attaching the spindle to the strut. The lower bolt has an oval shaped lobe on it that changes the camber angle when turned. Every alignment shop I have been to (aside from Texas Track Works) in the last 11 years has told me it's not adjustable, until I point that bolt out to them.

I can probably provide a picture of the bolt if anyone would like.
    Happened to me many times. All they do is look at the computer and say, "welp, we can't do ****." then I'm like, "look at the car you imbecile." Then they look at the computer again and say, "sorry there's nothing we can do. We sell camber bolts for (ridiculous price here)."
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 10-09-2013 at 03:32 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Mine was installed with 1 eccentric bolt up front and two solid bolts in the rear. So unless my WRX was completely different than every other one....
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Well.. I've only owned 02 WRXs. The first one I bought new. The second one came with coil overs which I replaced with the suspension from my first car (and by that time I already had Eibach crash bolts in the rear).

I bet there was an undocumented change somewhere along the line and they quit providing adjustable bolts in later years.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I quoted mainframe, but after reading I think I should clarify. For me it was not the bolts, but my struts had a lobe shaped hole for the top bolt that allowed a little bit of camber adjustment. Maybe mine were drilled out by the previous owner?

OK! lots of conversation going and I've been gone for a long time!

Does anyone know or have a link for torque specs for all nuts and bots that will be un-installed and re-installed during this upgrade/replacement of my suspension?

I would look for a shop manual for your car, it will have all the information you need and then some.

I know there is a list of torque specs on here somewhere.. I used it 10 years ago when doing my suspension.

So, here's an update on my search http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/mans/5%20-%20CHASSIS.PDF

under chassis section, page 21 (for those who might be on the same boat as me)

or this one for those maybe needing for their most current WRX/STi

Factory Service Manuals

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.