#caliperprobs

This is a discussion on #caliperprobs within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I tried to change my pads and rotors the other day and one of the pistons on my right ...

#caliperprobs

So I tried to change my pads and rotors the other day and one of the pistons on my right front caliper wont retract far enough to accept the new thickness of the parts. It appears heavily corroded (boot intact) and I tried even tapping it with a brass drift pin to get it to move back further with no success. I looked in to rebuilding it but idk if the piston needs replacing or not, and I probably don't have the time to take the caliper apart, only to find that it needs to be replaced after all ( I couldn't find a place to order new pistons). I found sets of four pot calipers all over with one set in the 550 dollar range (the cheapest I could find), so im in the market for either refurbished calipers or a single right caliper. Does anyone know a good source of calipers that wont kill my bank account?
    06 TR, COBB AP2,,COBB DP, K&N sr, G200 CB
    Subaru factory short throw, Auto dimm Rear view, Factory fog lamp kit (self installed)
    AM cobalt gauges: WB fuel, oil press (elec), boost (mech,30hg-20+)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What method did you use to retract the piston? Corroded or rusted?

I used pliers to get them back until they stopped, then tapped the one that wouldnt go back all the way with a brass drift pin. It didn't move.
    Subaru factory short throw, Auto dimm Rear view, Factory fog lamp kit (self installed)

Quote Originally Posted by cmayba View Post
    What method did you use to retract the piston? Corroded or rusted?
    The pistons are very rusted.

OK, So iv'e been looking around and found a place that sells calipers (although not very cheaply), but it says "bare" by the description. What does that mean? Will I need to do any work on it before I install it?

SubaruParts.com - Your #1 Source for OEM Parts and Accessories

I also found these guys, who replace the pistons with stainless steel. Which Idk if the stock ones had stainless pistons or not, but they sure rusted like they didn't.

Subaru reconditioned 4 pot calipers

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I used pliers to get them back until they stopped, then tapped the one that wouldnt go back all the way with a brass drift pin. It didn't move.
    I don't think pliers can exert enough force to push a caliper back in. Seems like it might be binding because it's not being pressed in evenly. Use a set of caliper spreaders or a large c clamp.

Posted from a fone.
    Last edited by UEDan; 07-12-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    I don't think pliers can exert enough force to push a caliper back in. Seems like it might be binding because it's not being pressed in evenly. Use a set of caliper spreaders or a large c clamp.

Posted from a fone.
    Ill give it a shot, until then I hope to get some links to some caliper and caliper parts websites.