Subaru WRX Forum banner

What tire pressure to run in 225/45-17 Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  SD_GR 
#1 ·
I just ordered these from TireRack and installed at NTB for around $510. Pretty good deal on the tires ($93 each).

They are the "94Y XL" load range, the higher of the two range choices on the tires (they also had a 91Y version). I typically ran somewhere around 35 psi on previous tires. With the higher load range, should I run higher pressures to get the advantage of stiffer sidewalls? Max pressure is 50psi.

I have them at 35 now and they feel kinda soft, but that probably has a lot to do with them being new, and my old tires were hardened from age.

Its for my '02 WRX Wagon, 17x7.5 wheels.

Thanks!

#2 ·
With a minimum pressure dictated by the (chassis) manufacturer's specs (I think they're in the glove box or on the pillar somewhere, plus they're in the book), you can go up if you like and the way to figure out just how high is OK is to take some show polish (white) or sport chalk, and mark the edge of the sidewalls. Pick a pressure where you are cornering as hard as you ever will yet the white marking is not rubbed off.

Do this on a private, controlled surface like a closed parking lot, a la autox events etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.