PSA: Whiteline ALK (Anti Lift Kit) and RCAK (Roll Center Adjustment kit) are amazing
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on PSA: Whiteline ALK (Anti Lift Kit) and RCAK (Roll Center Adjustment kit) are amazing within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So let me tell you a little story about my suspension journey with my 06 WRX starting at the beginning. ...

I Support ClubWRX

PSA: Whiteline ALK (Anti Lift Kit) and RCAK (Roll Center Adjustment kit) are amazing

So let me tell you a little story about my suspension journey with my 06 WRX starting at the beginning.

Background:

I love good handling cars. I used to commute 100+ miles a day, and 80 of those miles were through some of the best back country farmland roads around. I used to refer to it as my autocross course, best part there was never anyone on it, and a ton of fun was had at sane speeds. It also gave me an education in suspension design, dynamics, tuning and frustration. To give you an idea, I went through 6 different suspensions on my old VW before I got it right, but that 6th one was amazing.

So when I bought my WRX in June of 06, coming from a awesome handling VW and MINI Cooper S, I was left disappointed with the rolly-polly boat handling I had just fallen into. It understeered worse than any FWD I had ever owned, and body rolled like it was on air suspension.

So one of the first things I purchased was 22mm sway bars, endlinks, and "stout" mounts. After all with my old cars, that was the best starting point to dial out understeer, roll, and didn't require spending $1000 on a brand new suspension for a brand new car. So I put those on, chased down the horrific squeaks (thanks Big Sky ) and while they dialed out "some" of the roll and understeer, I had been left wondering if I had bought too little sway bar. Sure I fiddled with the adjustment of the bars, but it never made a drastic enough difference.

So then I did a lot of reading on the forums and found that throwing lowering springs at the problem didn't necessarily help either. There was such a thing on the WRX as going "too low" and messing up the suspension geometry. So I bought a set of STi take off springs and put those on. They helped a little, but still not where I wanted to be.

Then I thought, well maybe the front is washing wide because of a lack of mechanical grip. So when it came time to change tires, I threw on a set of wider grippier ones. They helped, but if anything it just increased the threshold before the symptoms would show again.

After that, I just lived with it......for 80k miles. I figured I'd either deal with it someday, or sell the damn thing. Well sell the damn thing didn't happen, the suspension was worn out, so a few months ago, I dove back into it. I read everything I could find, and in those 6 years since I had started this journey, an absolute ****-ton of information had been vomited upon the forums. And I am eternally grateful it did.

So I bought:

Tokico D-specs
    RCE blacks
    Whiteline Com C top hats front
    Group N top hats rear
    Rear camber bolts
    Alignment tools

And set out to finally sort this suspension out. After I got the D-specs adjusted to my liking, I determined a vast improvement had been made. Good, I spent a ton of money. You could chuck the car into a corner with very little understeer, and if you applied enough gas directly after turn in, you could induce some oversteer. Cool.

But being an over analytical Mech Engineer with a lean toward Pessimism most days, I noticed that the initial turn in and resistance to understeer was good, but as the cornering load increased the understeer went from 0 to quite a bit. After the understeer had started, applying more throttle only intensified the affects. So since I align my car at home (check link in sig ) I threw more camber at it. It helped but the symptoms were still there. Also I noticed that the steering was not quite where it had been previous to the new suspension. So obviously something was happening when the suspension was being dynamically loaded.

Now many people would have just quit there...trust me I thought about it. But I figured hell I'm this far, probably $3000 into suspension at this point all in, why not see what else is out there. So back to the internet I went. After some weeding out of things, I decided to try a Whiteline ALK and Whiteline RCAK. Afterall the ALK was billed as dialing out understeer and roll, while the RCAK was billed as fixing my steering back to where it was originally.

So I installed them both this weekend. Install was pretty easy (note: I have a lift, may be more difficult on the ground), took me 5 hours start to finish, taking my time, to install both kits, build a ball joint tool, and align the car.

WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE.

To recap, my suspension now consists of this:

Tokico D-specs
    RCE blacks
    Whiteline Com C top hats front
    Group N rear top hats
    Rear camber bolts
    Perrin 22mm Sways F+R
    Perrin End links
    Perrin Stout mounts
    Whiteline ALK comfort
    Whiteline RCAK
    Rear subframe lock down bolts
    225/45/17's on OZ Superleggeras
    Group N motor mounts
    Group N pitch stop mount
    STi tranny mount
    TIC crossmember bushings
    All shifter bushings done

Camber:
    Front -1.5
    Rear -1.3

toe = 0

What a damn difference those two parts totaling $429 shipped to my door made. So much so, that I would wager a guess that had I left the STi springs, sourced stock replacement struts (like a KYB), and just done the ALK, RCAK, and sway bars, not only would I be $1500 more in pocket, the car would handle 95% as well, and I would be more than satisfied.

What a huge difference...Huge. The car feels 100% neutral all the way through the corner, I can apply power all the way through the corner, it tracks amazing, steers amazing, turns in amazing and rides fantastic.

So, that is my 7 year long suspension journey on my 2006 WRX. Hopefully this write up helps someone out. If you are on the fence about an ALK, get off it. Seriously it is one of the first things I would add to the car.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 07-09-2013 at 07:11 AM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Bushings need to be on that list.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    Bushings need to be on that list.
    Oops thank you!
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Which ALK you go with? I have the Sport version and love it.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Which ALK you go with? I have the Sport version and love it.
    comfort.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    A little more info on what the driving dynamics are like before and after.

Before:

You pitch it into a corner hard, and the weight/suspension load transfers (what feels like fully) to the inside tire and you can feel the outside tire "lift". With only one tire being loaded, your total contact patch of tires on the ground decreases, your tires start to squeal, the "limit" of your cornering has been reached. The steering was also heavy when centered, but real inconsistent when turning with a different "weight" to it at different points. Once the limit has been reached and weight has transferred to the inside tire, under-steer is the dominant feeling.

After:

You pitch it into a corner hard and you can feel some of the load transfer to the inside tire, but then you don't feel the outside corner lift at all (hence anti lift kit), the whole front end including the outside tire feels much more planted and pulls you through the corner. I can easily carry 15mph more speed through my favorite twisties before the "limit" of traction is reached. Steering is heavier (in a good way), and has consistent feel through out its stroke. The car corners very neutral, even when the limit is reached. It is seriously how this car should have shipped from the factory. I'm pissed I waited so long.

Install note:

Now I'm an accomplished wrench turner, I get it done, whatever it is. But for some reason pulling that U shaped subframe in the front to get to those mounts didn't look like fun to me. Its actually easy, real easy.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 07-09-2013 at 07:57 AM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Great review! I've been slowly going through the car and replacing the crappy OEM bushings and this is on my list.

I Support ClubWRX
    Did I mention how much better the car handles? Holy crap!
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.