Buying Rota Wheels from Ebay?

This is a discussion on Buying Rota Wheels from Ebay? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently was about to pull the trigger on some Sparco Assetto Gara wheels from Tirerack, but was shocked at ...

Registered User Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Avatar

Buying Rota Wheels from Ebay?

I recently was about to pull the trigger on some Sparco Assetto Gara wheels from Tirerack, but was shocked at the appalling shipping costs to Canada! I knew shipping was pricey, but $590 for 4 wheels? C'mon. So, I resorted to looking at other sites and quickly found shipping would be the deal breaker. Then, I pulled out my last resort in Ebay. The shipping calculator quotes me at $100 for shipping to my door! Before, Rota wheels were a bit out of my price range as I was looking for cheaper wheels like the Sparcos. But after shipping was brought in to the equation, if I were to buy from Ebay, the costs would offset each other and Rotas (which are likely better quality) are more affordable!

So, my question is, what do you guys think of these amazing Ebay shipping prices? Are they accurate, or will I end up getting screwed later with a $500 bill from FedEx? Any personal experience or advice is welcome!

Here's the ad I was looking at: 17x7 5 Rota Group A 5x100 48 Gold Wheel Fits Subaru WRX Legacy Outback | eBay
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i honestly would spend the extra money and buy from a well known vendor. i've dealt with wheeeldude.com before and had a great experience.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Wheels do not cost all that much to ship. I've shipped them on a business account through FedEx from CO to NY for under $60. Call the seller, get a feel for them. Look at their reviews etc.....

EBay is OK but you do need to CYA before you send the $$.

GL with it, new wheels are an important part in making a car your own, in my opinion.

Cheers
    Last edited by MercRising; 06-23-2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: bc I type like a 2 yr old

It has become apparent that I still have lots of research to do! thanks a bunch for the info, you two. I was going to skip wheels and tires because they're not a necessity (I like to think I'm a practical kid), and because they cost a lot, but my car will never look like I want it to with stockers!

Before I go any further with trying to find a vendor, I should probably have a better idea of what size I want. This leads me to another question: I want to keep my stock ride height, but give my car a better, more aggressive look. My car is PSM and I have already purchased Morette headlights, and I plan on buying a JDM STi scoop as well as painted sideskirts to further improve its overall look. The streets here are so bad that I can't go lower, so I'm thinking 17s would be best for me. But what width do I go for? I keep seeing 17x7 as a popular size, is that what will fit my car the best? I think 18s will give my car too much of a lifted look, is that true? I am a total n00b to wheels and tires, so once again, help is appreciated.
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Definitely stay with 17's

I have 17x7 and honestly wish I went a little bit wider. I would probably do 8 or 8.5

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

17x8.5 wouldn't have any negative effects? Rotas seem to come in 17x7.5 and I'd probably be ok with that. It's $100 more for the extra inch, so I'll have to make up my mind. I'm gonna make an account on wheeldude tomorrow and grab a shipping estimate. Thanks a bunch for your suggestion! I've been on that site for an hour now and it's spectacular. Very well organized and from what I've heard from other people as well as you, their service is worth paying a bit extra. Research time!

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

Mega easy comparison tool for height, width, offset and tire sizes.
    Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

The wheels won't change the ride height if you put the right tires on it. You need to determine what offset you'll need if you go wider. Too little offset and they stick out and look like ****, too much offset with wide wheels and your wheels will be tucked under too far and possibly hit your struts/springs.

I'm on 18x8.5 wheels with 235/40 r18 tires. Almost no variation from stock height, within a few mm's. I ran that set up with no issues on stock struts for my 2010 hatch. Being that you're a 2g WRX, there should be tons of info out there on wheel set ups, get to digging!

Cheers

too many words, but agree with our Sammich Makin' Princess.

ive ordered my wheels from wheeldude and happy with the results.

for my bug i have 17x8 and thats most likely the widest wheel i will go. I have 225 tires on now but will be using 235's next. I believe Zax agrees that 17x8 is the "perfect" size for a bug
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Ok, I've decided on 17x8 of either the Rota Titans in Gold (5x100/e45/73), or Rota GForces in Gold (5x100/e48/56.1). Am I correct in thinking 48 offset is going to be better than 45? I also don't want to drop my car, but which wheel is going to look best with stock suspension, spring, etc.?

Also, what size tire should I go with? I'm thinking lower profile will help to reduce the jacked up look, but what size is going to be best?

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

i think stock offset is 48 but 45 youre fine. i had gold rota gforces on my psm bug so look through my build thread if you want to see how itll look.

if you like those styles check out the torques, they may be my next set of wheels lol.

the current pics of my car with the black rota dpts are 225 tires. im going to get 235's next.
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

I Support ClubWRX
    45 will give you a more "flush" with your fender appearance. 225's will be ok on an 8 inch wheel, but 235's will probably fit a little nicer with no stretch at all. If it were me and I wanted a lower profile I would go with a 235/40 (or 45)/17

@Ruh Roh Were the pics of the gold Gforces on stock ride height?

@11blackSTi thanks for the info! I'm thinking 235/40 would be nice as it is a bit lower profile.

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

no just epic springs, so like an inch lower
    Last edited by Ruh Roh; 06-27-2013 at 04:17 AM. Reason: spelling
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

I was really hoping not to have to buy lowering springs, but just in case I do, I have a few questions for you, Ruh Roh.

1. Would you recommend the Epic springs on 17" wheels?

2. Did you install em your self or get a shop to do it? Was it difficult/expensive?

3. Any negative aftereffects from the springs on your struts?

Bugeye Mafia Member #419