New struts... what about new springs?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New struts... what about new springs? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I'm finally getting new struts, because I can't take the bumps anymore. I'm getting these sweet KYB AGXs from ...

New struts... what about new springs?

So I'm finally getting new struts, because I can't take the bumps anymore. I'm getting these sweet KYB AGXs from Import Image Racing.

Here's my question: when i got my tires changed last month and the mechanic told me my struts were shot, he said I'd better get new springs too, or I'd wear out the new struts too. I have had SOOO much trouble finding WRX springs that don't lower the car!! (Just so you know me better, i'm working on a diy skid plate so I can go offroading!) Then I found these springs on IIRs site that don't really lower but would improve handling, especially over my worn 02 springs.

So here's my question for real: would it really be worth it to get the springs too?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Your "mechanic" had it backwards. If you get lowering springs you need to upgrade struts, not the other way around. Springs don't really wear out, so unless you're looking to lower the car or stiffen up the suspension there is no reason to change springs.

Agree with above.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

agree^
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

If you put stiffer shocks in with the original springs on the result may be a way rough ride, since the spring is "overpowered" by the shock. The shocks normally give little resistance to compression and slows the extension (coming back from compression). If the shock slows it too much your car ends up "dropping" after it hit a bump, resulting in harsh ride. A harder spring (higher spring rate) would make it behave better, but also make the whole car stiffer. The struts you're referring to are adjustable, so if left in the softer position it would probably work just fine. Then if you decide to want it stiffer, you can still go for the harder springs. Springs are not a wear item, as MainFrame pointed out, but rust for example will lead to eventual breaking...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.