serious wear on inner tread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on serious wear on inner tread within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, all four of my wheels are wearing badly from the inner edge of the tire to about 1 inch ...

I Support ClubWRX

serious wear on inner tread

So, all four of my wheels are wearing badly from the inner edge of the tire to about 1 inch in toward the middle. I'm at 18k miles on the tires. The tire shop seems to think that it's because of the factory camber setting, due to it being a sports car. They want to adjust the camber to get the tires more vertical, thereby producing a more even wear on the tread. So my question is, has anyone else experienced this and is it normal? Also, would you consider have the camber altered to buy a few more miles on the tires? I don't do auto-cross, but I also don't want to lose any of that "hold the road in a curve" experience either. Opinions welcome!
    2013 Subaru WRX named BlueRex
    2003 Jeep Rubicon, special zombie apocalypse edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The high amount of negative camber on your car is in the rear, which isn't adjustable. That shop doesn't know what they're talking about.

The lack of negative camber up front vs rear is why the car has a natural tendency to understeer.
    Last edited by EJ257; 06-05-2013 at 08:44 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    What is your camber currently at?

I Support ClubWRX
    hmm, i don't know what it's set at. And That would probably explain why they all four are like that because I have had them rotated on a regular schedule.

Isnt there a way to adjust the rear? I know its def not cheap.
    \_(ツ)_/
    Kunal - Ordered 2015 DGM WRX
    Photographer | Dancer | Tech Nerd | The Stink-Eye Mob #7
    First Mods: What and what not to do
    2011+ Big Mod Thread
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

I Support ClubWRX
    so now that we've determined the negative camber is standard, are other people's tires being eaten because of it? is there something i could do with tire pressure to ease the effect?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kprugbyplaya
    Isnt there a way to adjust the rear? I know its def not cheap.
    Without $$ hardware, it's not adjustable. It's not like the older MYs where a $30-40 set of camber bolts did the trick.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by WRXcritter View Post
    So, all four of my wheels are wearing badly from the inner edge of the tire to about 1 inch in toward the middle. I'm at 18k miles on the tires. The tire shop seems to think that it's because of the factory camber setting, due to it being a sports car. They want to adjust the camber to get the tires more vertical, thereby producing a more even wear on the tread. So my question is, has anyone else experienced this and is it normal? Also, would you consider have the camber altered to buy a few more miles on the tires? I don't do auto-cross, but I also don't want to lose any of that "hold the road in a curve" experience either. Opinions welcome!
    You didn't mention whether you've had the tires rotated from front to back in that 18k miles. If you have, the inside wear could just be caused by the wheel alignment being off at the front. If the tires are only wearing on the insides, then the wheels are towing out too much - a simple adjustment. If you've never rotated the tires and all four are wearing on the insides... I have no clue.

To an extent.. if you run low tire pressure the outside edges will wear, high pressure the center will wear. I run higher pressure than most (37 front 36 rear). Higher pressure improves fuel economy and reduces traction (reducing strain on the driveline).

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    To an extent.. if you run low tire pressure the outside edges will wear, high pressure the center will wear.
    Yes, too high pressures will wear the center, but low pressures will wear both edges. A tire doesn't just sag on one side. If tires on either side of the car are wearing in the same way - both inside or both outside edges - it's an alignment issue.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Without $$ hardware, it's not adjustable. It's not like the older MYs where a $30-40 set of camber bolts did the trick.

You didn't need camber bolts on the GD, the stock bolts are already adjustable (as you know). From what I remember, I was able to dial it anywhere from -1.4 to -.9 (or less, I forget).

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Yes, too high pressures will wear the center, but low pressures will wear both edges. A tire doesn't just sag on one side. If tires on either side of the car are wearing in the same way - both inside or both outside edges - it's an alignment issue.

Right, but no one was ever talking about pressure causing the wear.. if higher pressure is going to alleviate wear on the outer edges, then obviously it will alleviate wear in the inner edge (as well as the outer edge). Higher pressure will make things better for his situation.

Of course if the wear is that drastic then something else needs to be done.

Right, but no one was ever talking about pressure causing the wear.. if higher pressure is going to alleviate wear on the outer edges, then obviously it will alleviate wear in the inner edge (as well as the outer edge). Higher pressure will make things better for his situation.

Of course if the wear is that drastic then something else needs to be done.
    Ok, I'm confused, because you were the one who mentioned tire pressures originally But I'm not sure higher pressure will make things better for him if his alignment is off.

Ok, I'm confused, because you were the one who mentioned tire pressures originally

nope

Quote Originally Posted by WRXcritter View Post
    is there something i could do with tire pressure to ease the effect?

nope
    Ahh.... I see. Sorry, missed that. I blame it on lack of sleep.

I blame it on lack of sleep.

I know all about that.. there's a reason why I'm usually the first on/last off in chat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast