serious wear on inner tread - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on serious wear on inner tread within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by MainFrame You didn't need camber bolts on the GD, the stock bolts are already adjustable (as you ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame
    You didn't need camber bolts on the GD, the stock bolts are already adjustable (as you know). From what I remember, I was able to dial it anywhere from -1.4 to -.9 (or less, I forget).
    In the rear? (giggity)
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXcritter View Post
    So, all four of my wheels are wearing badly from the inner edge of the tire to about 1 inch in toward the middle. I'm at 18k miles on the tires. The tire shop seems to think that it's because of the factory camber setting, due to it being a sports car. They want to adjust the camber to get the tires more vertical, thereby producing a more even wear on the tread. So my question is, has anyone else experienced this and is it normal? Also, would you consider have the camber altered to buy a few more miles on the tires? I don't do auto-cross, but I also don't want to lose any of that "hold the road in a curve" experience either. Opinions welcome!
    Are they the stock tires? If so the stock tires are only good for around 20k miles.

The camber settings don't affect the tire wear too bad, what affects the tire wear is your toe setting. Your toe should be set at 0 deg. It is possible that you have a little toe in or out. As little as 1/16" of toe out over the width of the tire will cause the wear you are seeing.

How do I know? Just saw the same wear pattern you are talking about after 3k miles.

Here's a thread I made covering alignment: DIY: Alignment, thats right align your car at home with simple tools.

You can get your alignment checked for free at places such as Sears Auto Center. I know the local Les Schwab wouldn't charge you either if your car was within spec.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I tend to see the most wear on the inner edge. I run around 39 - 40 PSI (to get more fuel economy) I rotate around every 3K. I've have burned through a pair of Yokos that were directional in 20k miles, so your rotation options are less.. unless you pay to have a tire shop to remount your tires/rims accordingly when you rotate. I have spoken with my alignment shop and they have found the factory settings are limited on how far they can make an adjustment to the camber to reduce the inner wear...

In short I agree i tend to see more wear on the inner edge and it was drammatically worse with directional tires. (I have stopped using those!) I might try lower pressure based on some of the comments here. Are you using directionals?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    In the rear? (giggity)

yup

I Support ClubWRX
    i can manually check the toe. i do that on the jeep regularly....but i think 1/16 of an inch is tolerable. I think if it's within 1/8th on the jeep it's good. Unless I've been told wrong, or if it's different because the size of the tire.....

I think it's got to be the camber at this point, because of the wear pattern. The camber that makes them look like this: / \ would explain the wear on the inner edge of the top of the tread. I was the one that originally mentioned tire pressure, because i run them super high (40psi). I was thinking if i lowered it, that might relax the rest of the tread back down onto the ground a little more. I don't think it's going to make that much difference though.
    2013 Subaru WRX named BlueRex
    2003 Jeep Rubicon, special zombie apocalypse edition

I Support ClubWRX
    More toe than 0 on a wrx will cause the same wear pattern.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

So, all four of my wheels are wearing badly from the inner edge of the tire to about 1 inch in toward the middle. I'm at 18k miles on the tires. The tire shop seems to think that it's because of the factory camber setting, due to it being a sports car. They want to adjust the camber to get the tires more vertical, thereby producing a more even wear on the tread. So my question is, has anyone else experienced this and is it normal? Also, would you consider have the camber altered to buy a few more miles on the tires? I don't do auto-cross, but I also don't want to lose any of that "hold the road in a curve" experience either. Opinions welcome!
    Same with my 2012 STi......Subaru is replacing all four of my tires free of charge. Partly because at my 7500 mile tire rotation the tech never told me I had uneven wear and rotated them anyways. I noticed a month or so later and by then all four tires were affected.
    "Hey Derik, do you know whats good for shoulder pain?"

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    You didn't mention whether you've had the tires rotated from front to back in that 18k miles. If you have, the inside wear could just be caused by the wheel alignment being off at the front. If the tires are only wearing on the insides, then the wheels are towing out too much - a simple adjustment. If you've never rotated the tires and all four are wearing on the insides... I have no clue.
    It's not an issue with the rear camber. I know this because mine did the same thing. I only have 9600 miles on my car so have only had one rotation. When I noticed my issue I saw it on the rear tires(which were on the front). They were worn bald on the inside edge of each. I than inspected the fronts and saw only the beginnings of inside wear. Subaru is replacing all 4 of my tires free of charge including alignment, mount and balance. I have a 2012 STi.

I love my service department
    "Hey Derik, do you know whats good for shoulder pain?"

Too much toe in, lack of rotating tires, and wrong pressures are all signs that cause this.
    In your case I believe it's too much toe in since it's only the inner tread. If your rear toe is off it may through out your front. The rears are acentric which can be a slight pain to adjust

Sounds like they're coming out of the factory out of alignment

I Support ClubWRX
    subscribed. noticed similar wear recently.
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

I Support ClubWRX
    I haven't visited this thread for a while. I don't think Subaru will replace my tires at 20,000 miles but I may call them for the heck of it. Pressure has not been an issue, and rotation has been every 5k miles. too much toe in sounds more like i'd get scrubbing on the tires which would be a different wear pattern. But I'm not an expert by any means. I may take it over tomorrow and have it checked out at the dealership. I'll post results, if any. In the mean time, I'm going to have to start looking for tires. I sure hope there's something wrong (funny to say, right?) because i cannot afford new tires every 20K miles. That's about every 10 months for me.

ya tires every 20k is pretty much crap. let us know what you find out

I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru aligned my car. the toe was off. Not sure how much. They did not charge me, saying they could submit one alignment under warranty as long as there was not evidence of "pilot error" like road rash on the rims from running into a curb. Tires look like they will survive a bit longer and the cupping should wear itself back to normal somewhat. checked the tread depth and its not much off from the inner edge to the outer edge. They want me to bring it back in a month to check it again, and again for free, to make sure it's holding alignment. All in all, a good experience. I thought I'd get to drive a new turbo forester, but it was already sold haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    If the tires are only wearing on the insides, then the wheels are towing out too much - a simple adjustment.
    Subaru aligned my car. the toe was off.
    Told you. I win. Rep points, surely? Or maybe I'll just get some deducted for gloating. Ho hum.

Seriously though, I'm really happy you got it sorted and I'm even more happy that Subaru didn't charge you!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.