Tire Suggestion for a 2002 - More Mileage?

This is a discussion on Tire Suggestion for a 2002 - More Mileage? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've been running Falken ZE-912's on my '02 wagon for years, and feel like they're a good-driving tire for the ...

I Support ClubWRX

Tire Suggestion for a 2002 - More Mileage?

I've been running Falken ZE-912's on my '02 wagon for years, and feel like they're a good-driving tire for the money. It does seem like they fall off, fairly quickly. I get something like 12-15K of good use out of them, but even with proper rotation, it seems like they're noisy and getting thin, by that time.

Does anyone have a recommendation for this chassis, for a tire that would be a bit more biased towards miles, rather than smiles? Just looking at the budget, it would be nice if I could get a little more out of my investment.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I heard certain continentals tend to last a long time. Like the dws. Not sure how well they handle.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Valkator; 05-22-2013 at 08:45 AM.
    Car: 2013 DGM WRX 5 Door

I had Coopers RS3-S on my WRX, they are a great budget tire.

I currently have 30k-ish(at least) on my Goodyear Eagle GTs Still some good meat left.
    They're noisy from the getgo, a lot more compared to the 912s.

I Support ClubWRX
    Good feedback! I'll do some research on these to see what people in other makes are getting out of them, as well.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    I know they are not the cheapest, but the michelin super sports have a guaranteed 30K tread life (assuming you don't puncture it of course). To be honest, they are the smoothest riding tires I have ever driven on a car. They are super sticky too, which makes cornering nice. Again, not the cheapest option, but I will definitely be buying them again for my summers.

Edit - actually, if you are running the stock 02 wheels, then these won't fit. I think the smallest they come is for 17 inch wheels.
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 05-22-2013 at 10:34 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm on 17's.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I have Michelin Pilot sport A/S on my 2011 wrx and I am very happy with them ( great rain tires ) Michelin gives 45k warranty on them. Another thing that I like about this tire that has nice pattern.

I have an 04 so my comments might not help. I had a some Yokos directionals I wouldn't recommend them I ran through those in under 20k. I'm trying some Nittos right now. They have a 60k gaurantee and where the same price range as my old Yokos. Also they are a wider tire, if you like that. They run smother than the yokos but with a less aggressive tread pattern. If you are go ing for budget I would I the ones with the gaurenteed miles on them like others have suggested.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I know they are not the cheapest, but the michelin super sports have a guaranteed 30K tread life (assuming you don't puncture it of course). To be honest, they are the smoothest riding tires I have ever driven on a car. They are super sticky too, which makes cornering nice. Again, not the cheapest option, but I will definitely be buying them again for my summers.

Edit - actually, if you are running the stock 02 wheels, then these won't fit. I think the smallest they come is for 17 inch wheels.
    I've got the Pilot Super Sports. A summer only tire with a much better than average tread life in its category according to Consumer Reports.

They also handle far better then the Falkens which I have had on my WRX and any other of the 4 other performance tires I've had on the WRX. Made for a great track day last September.

You have email you may find helpful.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 05-22-2013 at 05:59 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the tips, guys!
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited