Tire Suggestion for a 2002 - More Mileage?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Tire Suggestion for a 2002 - More Mileage? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've been running Falken ZE-912's on my '02 wagon for years, and feel like they're a good-driving tire for the ...

I Support ClubWRX

Tire Suggestion for a 2002 - More Mileage?

I've been running Falken ZE-912's on my '02 wagon for years, and feel like they're a good-driving tire for the money. It does seem like they fall off, fairly quickly. I get something like 12-15K of good use out of them, but even with proper rotation, it seems like they're noisy and getting thin, by that time.

Does anyone have a recommendation for this chassis, for a tire that would be a bit more biased towards miles, rather than smiles? Just looking at the budget, it would be nice if I could get a little more out of my investment.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I heard certain continentals tend to last a long time. Like the dws. Not sure how well they handle.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Valkator; 05-22-2013 at 09:45 AM.
    Car: 2013 DGM WRX 5 Door

I had Coopers RS3-S on my WRX, they are a great budget tire.

I currently have 30k-ish(at least) on my Goodyear Eagle GTs Still some good meat left.
    They're noisy from the getgo, a lot more compared to the 912s.

I Support ClubWRX
    Good feedback! I'll do some research on these to see what people in other makes are getting out of them, as well.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    I know they are not the cheapest, but the michelin super sports have a guaranteed 30K tread life (assuming you don't puncture it of course). To be honest, they are the smoothest riding tires I have ever driven on a car. They are super sticky too, which makes cornering nice. Again, not the cheapest option, but I will definitely be buying them again for my summers.

Edit - actually, if you are running the stock 02 wheels, then these won't fit. I think the smallest they come is for 17 inch wheels.
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 05-22-2013 at 11:34 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm on 17's.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I have Michelin Pilot sport A/S on my 2011 wrx and I am very happy with them ( great rain tires ) Michelin gives 45k warranty on them. Another thing that I like about this tire that has nice pattern.

I have an 04 so my comments might not help. I had a some Yokos directionals I wouldn't recommend them I ran through those in under 20k. I'm trying some Nittos right now. They have a 60k gaurantee and where the same price range as my old Yokos. Also they are a wider tire, if you like that. They run smother than the yokos but with a less aggressive tread pattern. If you are go ing for budget I would I the ones with the gaurenteed miles on them like others have suggested.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I know they are not the cheapest, but the michelin super sports have a guaranteed 30K tread life (assuming you don't puncture it of course). To be honest, they are the smoothest riding tires I have ever driven on a car. They are super sticky too, which makes cornering nice. Again, not the cheapest option, but I will definitely be buying them again for my summers.

Edit - actually, if you are running the stock 02 wheels, then these won't fit. I think the smallest they come is for 17 inch wheels.
    I've got the Pilot Super Sports. A summer only tire with a much better than average tread life in its category according to Consumer Reports.

They also handle far better then the Falkens which I have had on my WRX and any other of the 4 other performance tires I've had on the WRX. Made for a great track day last September.

You have email you may find helpful.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 05-22-2013 at 06:59 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the tips, guys!
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.