Winter Tires Destroyed in 1 Season?!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Winter Tires Destroyed in 1 Season?! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello All, So I just got my summer tires put back on my 2012 WRX Premium at the dealership. They ...

Winter Tires Destroyed in 1 Season?!

Hello All,

So I just got my summer tires put back on my 2012 WRX Premium at the dealership. They came to me and told me that my winter tires were beat and asked if I wanted them disposed of. I couldn't believe that the tires were toast so I went out into the bay, and sure enough they were.

Heres my question; Why?! I feel like a set of winter tires should last more than just one season. I have 36,000 on the vehicle so far, 20,000 of which were on these tires. The tires showed cupping, and one tire had severe wear on one side. The tech couldn't recall which tires had come from which part of the car so I really have no idea where the problem lies.

About 6000 Miles ago, I was experiencing a clunk in the front end, which was resolved by replacing the front sway-bar bushings. They also did a 4 wheel alignment to help stop any other issues. About 4 thousand miles ago, I had my summer tires put on the car, but had to take them off a week later because of a massive snow storm in the northeast, and I needed to drive to CT from VT; no way i was doing that on summers. When they changed the tires around then, there was no mention of any issues with the tires at all; Same dealer and manager.

So basically my question is: How in 4000 miles, did my tires go from "ok" to completely destroyed? What should I check? The dealer told me and I quote "Because of the high performance compounds in the tire, their life expectancy is greatly reduced." The tires in question are Cooper Weather-masters, which were provided by the dealer when I bought the vehicle as a "free" addition to the sale.

I'll also note that after I got the 4 wheel alignment, I noticed my steering wheel was slightly to the right when going strait. I figured that it was the steering wheel not being aligned proper, and I didn't give much thought to it as it was only about 1/4 of an inch tops.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, I've done searches on this and there are just so many possible things, that I have no idea where to begin. The dealership I go to is the only one within an hour+ of here, and I'm not really sure what to do...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tire.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	114103

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is your car lowered? How much camber are you running?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

The car's suspension is completely 100% stock.

Chris

Camber/alignment specs?

What was the treadwear rating of your winter tires? And are your summers showing similar signs of wear?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter

Sure doesn't look like the car had an alignment.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I was having strong tire wear like that due to an alignment issue (too much toe in). Do you know if the tires looked bad before your recent alignment?
    David - '05 WRX

I did the same thing! problem? I believe it's not rotating them

I Support ClubWRX
    4k miles is awfully low for that kind of wear on tires. Were these 4k miles mainly highway miles in temps above 50 degress? And may be a dumb question. But when you bought the car were the tires new?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    4k miles is awfully low for that kind of wear on tires. Were these 4k miles mainly highway miles in temps above 50 degress? And may be a dumb question. But when you bought the car were the tires new?
    I put about 4k miles on my blizzaks in 40-60 degree weather and had the same exact issue. I ended up blaming myself for not rotating them. you can tell from his picture one side is completely bald and the other side even still has the little channels on the treads.

I Support ClubWRX
    I mean to be honest, these cars do eat up tires...Especially if you are driving long distances in 50+ degree weather...The rubber on winters is just so soft it gets eaten by the road. That being said, I agree with some of the previous posts, that either the tires were not rotated properly or the alignment was way off. If it has all been dealership work and nothing done to the suspension (and they took the tires on and off and did the alignment), you might be able to argue that they didn't do something properly of the tread rating is a lot higher than 20K miles. They could say that you agressively drove, but it's worth a shot. Bright side is that they were free tires.

I've gone three winters on my current winter tires, and I expect to get at least another winter on them. (I have 48,000 miles on my car and more of them on the winters than the summers - but I am on my second set of summers).

Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
    I was having strong tire wear like that due to an alignment issue (too much toe in). Do you know if the tires looked bad before your recent alignment?
    This.

I had the problem in the year that I owned a 350z. If you search, many early models have factory alignment issues to where you just cannot get rid of all the toe in, and as a result, they eat through summer rubber sooooo quickly, all on the insides like your pics.

too m8ch toe in or negative camber

I Support ClubWRX
    That bend is caused by out of spec toe... no amount of camber could cause wear like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I had that with my previous car. Picked up 4 new Conti DWS when I got my GTI because when I bought it had the wrong size tires. Put them on and 5000 miles later they were getting really loud. Took them off because it was time to rotate them and both insides of my back tires looked like that and had to be replaced. Too much toe in my case. Looks like the alignment wasn't done properly to me.

Alignment. My winter tires have about 4K since new, when I put them up and changed back to summers there's hardly any wear on them at all, could pass for new. No rotation is needed within 4K, I usually rotate them when I do oil change (~5K). And that's all she said...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.