Bad Brakes?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Bad Brakes? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was driving my 2011 wrx the other day at 30mph. A car pulls out in front of me and ...

Bad Brakes?

I was driving my 2011 wrx the other day at 30mph. A car pulls out in front of me and I push hard on the brakes. They seem to bottom out, all the way to the floor then a thud then the car stops. The car has a fresh Virginia inspection so I assume the pads are good. There is also a small scraping noise sometimes under normal breaking. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

All the way to the floor? Yikes. Have you checked your brake fluid level? With regards to the scraping noise under braking, that could be just a small stone stuck someone in the brakes. If you have an air compressor, take your wheels off and blow air all around the calipers. While you've got the wheels off, check to make sure you really do have some meat left on the brake pads. I don't know what's involved in a "Virginia inspection". Do they remove the wheels? If not, they can't check the brake pads.

But, honestly, I'd be more concerned with the pedal travel. Take it to the dealer.

EDIT: Wait - this happened once under hard braking? Just sounds like your ABS cut in.

ABS

I also have no idea what a "Virginia Inspection" means, but it sounds like your ABS cut in. If you're hitting the floor it can shudder. That's the ABS cutting in. Soft to hard breaking is better. If you know you have to hit them hard, understand they will shut off at a certain point and cut back in. Sounds like normal Subie braking. If it happens again, under less intense conditions, take it to a good Subie mechanic.

~E

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    All the way to the floor? Yikes. Have you checked your brake fluid level? With regards to the scraping noise under braking, that could be just a small stone stuck someone in the brakes. If you have an air compressor, take your wheels off and blow air all around the calipers. While you've got the wheels off, check to make sure you really do have some meat left on the brake pads. I don't know what's involved in a "Virginia inspection". Do they remove the wheels? If not, they can't check the brake pads.

But, honestly, I'd be more concerned with the pedal travel. Take it to the dealer.

EDIT: Wait - this happened once under hard braking? Just sounds like your ABS cut in.

Va inspection does require taking off the wheel and checking the pads. Wasn't sure if this was normal for Subaru and/or wrx. I am pulling the wheel this week anyway as I want to clean the inside of the wheel and rotor. Also looking at caliper covers. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    Brakes all the way to the floor would concern me. I have never had my brakes go all the way to the floor other than when I was bleeding my brake fluid. Did you check your brake fluid level? You may have some air in your brake lines if it wasn't bled properly. Are the brakes really squishy all the time?

Sounds like you need a brake fluid flush and swap anyway...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.