front control arm(track arm?) removal for bushing replacement.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on front control arm(track arm?) removal for bushing replacement. within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have been busting out a energy suspension master pack out under my 02 WRX wagon and ill say this. ...

front control arm(track arm?) removal for bushing replacement.

i have been busting out a energy suspension master pack out under my 02 WRX wagon and ill say this. not for the faint of heart unless you have or have access to a shop and or huge amounts of tools/free time/and or large amounts of disposable income left over from the mods you didnt buy...some of the bushings are a critical PIA to install( factory front bushing, rear trailing arm removal im pointing at you!) however, the improvements are wonderful and the NVH actually is less overall. Id assume its because my car isnt clunking on shot chassis bushings. but i am down the last package of parts, front lower control arm.

factory service manual says remove the front sub frame. Necessary??? it looks like the arm can be removed without dropping the frame, but if i do what am i going to need to support? i do have access to a(several) alignment racks and proper tools except for the factory bushing presses(read...want badly if i ever have to do this again, probably to friends bug eyes) although i have a much used twenty ton press that has saved my bacon a few times already. any tricks to get that thing out and back in with new parts in say....a hole saturday would be great. and i say a hole day because or my car's tendency to fight back with rusty bolts that laugh at PB Blaster. generally the installs have been going quite smoothly once the old $#@% is out.

ill post some bushing carnage soon as i can. thanks in advance everybody!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I've always dropped the sub frame to pull control arms. It's been a while, but from what I remember the bolts for the control arm are under the sub frame, so there's no way to get to them with out removing it.

thanks mainframe. just as long as nothing big(like a engine) comes crashing down on my head lol. and i can get it back into place eithor by hand or with the lift's bridge jack/s assistance. most likely ill be doing this solo, nobody wants to hang around after hours to help out and i really dont blame them. if your at the shop, people will stop and bang on the doors till you open up so i have to play safe. more parts than needed and lots of spare time.

and some people that know what the heck there talking 'bout. i support wrenching within range of my laptop lol.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, the sub frame doesn't really hold anything. You'll be fine.. I've replaced control arms along with springs, struts, and top hats by myself in one afternoon.

nice! im sure ill be there eventually too but for now i seem to be on a bushing bender. more stuff from tic(klunk killer kit) and various others for the front end bushings and shifter bushings are on the way. the hole chassis is in terrible shape from being a lithia loaner car(rental?) the rush is for my first scca event. its small and easy great for beginners like me. want to be handling like a car, not a busted soap box... and after the fiasco of replacing the rest of the kit id be fine with finishing up the lower CA and my new pitch stop and go wagon x-ing.

ready for the last push. both shifter bushings and the lower control arm plus alighment after. i think i have a strange little wagon...i have a small little plastic cover over large holes marked L and R respectfully just for the inside bolt on the rear bushing of the lower c-arm. dosent look like i need sub frame removal at all. just a wagon thing? trust me im not complaining!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.