Did a search, need 06 brake upgrade help

This is a discussion on Did a search, need 06 brake upgrade help within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Been a while since I've posted here, so I did a search but didn't find much conclusive. I have a ...

Did a search, need 06 brake upgrade help

Been a while since I've posted here, so I did a search but didn't find much conclusive.

I have a basically stock '06 WRX and am rapidly approaching the need for new brakes. I am NOT looking for stock replacement, but a bigger/better brake set up. Since my car already has decent 4/2 calipers I want larger slotted rotors. I will upgrade the lines to S/S and will go with a better fluid as well (this part is obvious).

Essentially I need advice on rotors and pads. I have 18x8 BSS wheels with a 50mm offset. I don't run my car on the track, and drive "spirited".

As far as:

Size, what's the biggest I could put on the car, practically speaking?
    Brand, what are good ones to look at?
    Ancillary, what other parts do I need and do they come with the bigger rotors or are they separate items?
    Pads, I want no noise and low dust with good stopping for street/"spirited" driving.

Labor will be done by a friend who is a mechanic with any help I can provide so no cost there. As far as parts costs, I am looking to keep that reasonable. I'm not looking for a HUGE brake kit, just bigger. Also, I've looked at the big brake kits, but I don't need calipers so that kind of knocks those out?

Any help would be much appreciated guys! Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you're keeping the existing calipers then the disc has to stay same size it is now. You can certainly find slotted/drilled rotors and different pads. There's a ton out there and I can't tell what's better or worse. Look around here, there are a bunch of threads with info for these. Then you're down to trying what seems best and go from there. Pads themselves are not all that expensive, you might be willing to try several. Rotors are a bit more and you'd probably want to stick with them for a while...Changing pads is very easy, rotors are easy. Someone to show you the how would be ok for first time. For the noise (and function) there is some special grease that needs to be placed strategically. If it's a never car and things are not rusted in there should be no real problem.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    I would save your money and just buy Centric Premium blank rotors, and skip the slotted ones.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I would save your money and just buy Centric Premium blank rotors, and skip the slotted ones.
    This^ For normal daily use slotted rotors provide no benefit and can actually wear pads down faster. I have slotted rotors right now and will be replacing them with blanks when the time comes.

Pads, I fully recommend Hawk Cermaics. Great price, little to no noise, reduced brake dust and extended life (on blanks). They have a really good cold bite and there isn't much fade when hot.

As far as size, I can't help you there. Someone else with more knowledge will chime in soon I'm sure (Zax).

EDIT: You can see my set-up in the link to my thread in my signature.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Rotor size is dictated by what calipers you have on the car. You have good calipers, so no need to upgrade those. The rotors are actually quite large in the scheme of things. Rotors also have minimal effect on actual stopping power as well. Regardless...increasing caliper/rotor size really only improves ability to minimalize brake fade and help with cooling ability. For basic daily driving, anything bigger than what you have now isn't necessary given the costs.

As other stated, the biggest bang for your buck is going to be changing the pads to something that will grip better. Look into Hawk Pads, StopTech pads, or even Ferrodo or EBC options. Changing fluid out to a good one like Motul or ATE will improve feel as well. If you're doing that, may as well swap in stainless brake lines too. I can guarantee you that will improve your braking ability over stock replacement components.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Thanks for the replies guys.

My main reason for wanting larger rotors is I like the rotor filling up the void inside the wheel, and also the obvious stopping improvements. Even though I don't run my car on the track, I do drive it hard as most of us do. Upgraded pads, lines, and fluid are all easy and cheap and certainly will help, so I'll be doing those for sure.

I've experienced brake fade a couple of times and I definitely want to minimize that, hence the desire to go with bigger slotted rotors. As far as increased wear, the truth is my car is seven years old and has less than 30,000 miles. I don't drive it a lot, but when I do I'm hard on the car. If I have to change pads a little more frequently because of slotted rotors, I don't mind.

With regard to increased rotor diameter, is that a matter of a caliper relocation bracket or similar hardware, or would I in fact need to swap calipers? If the former, then that isn't a big deal, if the latter, then I will abandon my wishes for bigger brakes.

Thanks again.

fade can be addressed as suggested above with high quality brake fluid and upgraded pads will help with braking force. Unless you want to switch to Brembos or a big brake kit you aren't going to be able to run bigger rotors. Either way the rears would stay the same.

So then bigger rotors are a no go. Damn it.

In any case I appreciate the help guys, and the suggestions for pads, lines, and fluid. Thanks for your time and help.

I Support ClubWRX
    Also going to the widest tire that fits your rims would help as well. The brakes don't stop the car,the tires do. The brakes stop the tires. You can decrease braking distance alone by going to wider tires alone and doing no other brake upgrade. It puts more friction down on the road. Just something to consider when it's time for new tires or a tire/rim combo.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I'd forgotten to mention that my tires are 225/40 Potenza RE-01R but when those are due to be changed by the end of the year I'll go with RE-11, since the the former are no longer made (or carried by TireRack). Quite a soft compound, and I know that certainly helps with stopping.