Is this plug-able?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Is this plug-able? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So pissed. These tires are practically brand new. Its been this way for about a week now & im just ...

Is this plug-able?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1863.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	113493
    So pissed. These tires are practically brand new. Its been this way for about a week now & im just now noticing pressure release. Its holding pressure, just not like it used to.

I can't afford getting a whole new set of tires so I'm probably gonna try and plug it this weekend anyways but Im worried about its performance. It's so close to the wall of the tire...

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I would plug it.

Sent from my magic banana
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Technically no. Depends how daring you are. I would be nervous about a blowout while doing some hard and fast cornering...like an on ramp. It's a shame there's no road hazard protection offered when you buy the car like you can get when you buy tires.

RMA_tire_repair_guidelines
    '13 WRX Limited PBP hatch
    2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by mfigge2 View Post
    Technically no. Depends how daring you are. I would be nervous about a blowout while doing some hard and fast cornering...like an on ramp. It's a shame there's no road hazard protection offered when you buy the car like you can get when you buy tires.

RMA_tire_repair_guidelines
    I can be daring at times but I don't drive my car too often. I'm only on the road an hour a day through the week for work, tops.

Road care warranty thing on the tires?
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

If they are as new as you say you can just get just the one tire replaced.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I had a screw in one of my RE-01s in the exact same location. I plugged it.. then a week later the sidewall buckled and $1150 worth of tires were ruined.

Quote Originally Posted by Grymmfrost View Post
    If they are as new as you say you can just get just the one tire replaced.
    +1 If they're basically new, just replace that 1 tire.

I would not plug it. For one thing I think its illegal to just put a plug in now and go in most places. Now they have a patch plug combination that work really well. I used to do tire work its the better and safer way to go. They will break the trire down and work from the inside of the tire it covers and seals a much bigger area not to allow moister to get into the steel belts and corrode them. Any good tire shop should be able to take care of that.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by marx View Post
    Any good tire shop should be able to take care of that.

Most shops would not touch something that close to the sidewall. Cannot patch the inside because of the location of the puncture.. and I believe it may be outright against regulations for them to do work on a puncture like that.

Quote Originally Posted by marx View Post
    I would not plug it. For one thing I think its illegal to just put a plug in now and go in most places. Now they have a patch plug combination that work really well. I used to do tire work its the better and safer way to go. They will break the trire down and work from the inside of the tire it covers and seals a much bigger area not to allow moister to get into the steel belts and corrode them. Any good tire shop should be able to take care of that.
    The Kaufman tire here in ATL does tire repair for free, which sounds nice, but it also sounds like the plug/patch would work better/safer.. I know it looks really close to the side-wall but it really isn't.. That being said I don't think there's enough room to patch though.

Currently, my tire is holding close to 29psi w/nail... its visibly noticeable but hasn't gotten worse, this makes me feel like if I can get the tire to a state where it will at least hold the appropriate psi then Im golden. Again, I rarely drive this beast.

Anyone else have experience with a nail/screw this close to the wall?

Quote Originally Posted by thegamer1587 View Post
    +1 If they're basically new, just replace that 1 tire.
    +2 risky business and youre putting others in danger as well as yourself
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

+3 on replacing the one tire. It's worth the $200 for peace of mind as you're going 60 mph around an entrance ramp. $200 is cheaper than having an accident and having to pay your deductible.
    '13 WRX Limited PBP hatch
    2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Adventure

Pull the tire off the rim and add a washer and nut... Otherwise the screw WILL come out and you're stranded...
    Nuts... Just replace the tire, at least you wouldn't need to replace the whole set. This is an easy one. It's a lot harder when the tires have a good bit of wear - then you'd have to consider the whole set of 4!
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

U can definitely patch that from the inside I wouldn't use a traditional plug or even a patch plug if u drive hard but a hole that small can b sealed up by someone who knows their way around a quality patch

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.