05 Wagon. Help me choose springs/shocks.

This is a discussion on 05 Wagon. Help me choose springs/shocks. within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, can you please help me choose springs and shocks for my 05 wagon? I do not need or ...

05 Wagon. Help me choose springs/shocks.

Hey guys, can you please help me choose springs and shocks for my 05 wagon? I do not need or want coilovers, and I do not want to be slammed, so please don't suggest coilovers or say "needz moar looowww". I am looking for simple lowering springs and shocks that, do not drop the car more than one (1) inch, but, are stiffer than stock to slightly improved cornering stability. My first choice, due to running H&R springs on cars I've had before, and due to the modest drop are, H&R OE sport springs which advertise .75" to a 1" drop. Are there any other good quality springs for 04/05 wagons that lower the car 1" or less but have higher spring rates than the stockers or H&E oe sports? I want the stiffest springs that I can put on the car without lowering more than one inch.

Also, in search for new shocks, all I can find are Koni yellows, which I believe are inserts, which I do not like too much, due to having to modify the stock shock to install, the fact that they are overkill for my needs since I do not autox or race my car, and they are too expensive for my needs. The only other shocks I can find are KYB GR2 which are a simple install and cheap, but arent they just oem shocks? Are there any shocks that fit the 04/05 wagons that are better than the KYB GR2 other than the Koni yellows? Thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Koni Yellows and RCE Black (wagon) springs
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Highest spring rate with minimal drop is RCE Blacks, but they require struts beyond OE spec/quality.

Tokico D-Specs or KYB AGX. Struts should be chosen based on springs.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Where would you guys suggest to find these struts? All I have been able to find are the Koni yellows which I dont need, and the KYB gr2/excel-g...

Ok, found the Tokico D-spec, and for $900+ I will easily pass on those.

I guess I will stick to the H&R oe sports and KYB gr2. I am not paying a grand for shocks on a car that does not see the track...
    Last edited by 05WagonRX; 04-17-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Koni Yellows and RCE Black (wagon) springs
    Ditto
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 05WagonRX
    I guess I will stick to the H&R oe sports and KYB gr2. I am not paying a grand for shocks on a car that does not see the track...
    Personally, I would go with Swift springs over the H&R; they make a wagon-specific spring, last I knew.

While everything is apart, you'll want to replace your tophats, as they're a wear item, also. I would go with new OE tophats in the rear (Group-Ns are $250/pair), and Whiteline Com-C mounts for the front:
    Turn in Concepts

The Com-C are a bit more than front Group-Ns ($120/pair), but offer you some additional caster. When the time comes to do the alignment (a week or so after install to let the springs settle), make sure you find a place that will do it to your specs.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I think I will just settle with H&R Oe sport springs, Kyb GR2/Excel-G shocks and oem tophats. Unless the RCE blacks are possible with 05 wagon kyb gr2's, or some other springs that will work with the kyb gr2's.
    I just cant justify spending that kind (d-spec/koni) of money for a strict DD that sees no track use that is only seeking 1" or less drop.

Ive heard of some oem? pink springs i think. Are they wagon specific and would be work with the kyb gr2's?
    Last edited by 05WagonRX; 04-19-2013 at 09:36 PM.

Can anyone give any more information on these "pink" springs I was told about?
    Are there any oem springs like sti springs I could use with 05 wagon kyb gr2's?
    Anything else besides h&r oe sports that I can use with 05 wagon kyb gr2's?
    Last edited by 05WagonRX; 04-20-2013 at 12:16 PM.

^anyone?

The RCE Blacks seem to be too stiff for the KYB GR2's, and I am not looking to spend the money on Koni Yellows or Tokico D Spec.

Are there any STI springs I can use with 05 wagon KYB GR2's?
    What are these "Pink" springs? Are they from subaru? Wagon specific?
    Last edited by 05WagonRX; 04-21-2013 at 01:13 PM.