Time for new tires - Az daily + some snow
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Time for new tires - Az daily + some snow within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I'm about on the last tred for the stock dunlops and looking for recommendations on my next set. I ...

Time for new tires - Az daily + some snow

So I'm about on the last tred for the stock dunlops and looking for recommendations on my next set.

I live in Arizona, so summer tires make the most sense, but I do make it up to ski in the winter as well... took the stockers out there last winter and didn't have any problems but I drove VERY conservatively the few times I got into lots of snow (and the one time I got caught in a storm on the way up to the slopes).

Any suggestions for 1 set of tires that will keep the summer performance but be manageable for Az snow? I'm also looking to make it outta state to some of the bigger resorts next winter... guessing that would be a bad idea on summers.

Right now I'm looking at:
    Dunlop SP 01 (I really liked them, 27k miles too)
    Michelin Pilot Super Sport
    Cooper RS3-S I've seen recommended a lot as well

But obviously all of these are iffy for snow...
    -Corey

2011 WRB WRX - Stage 2+
    Invidia TBE, AEM CAI, PW TMIC
    295whp/305w torque

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You have a dilemma... No summer tire will be good at all in the snow. You may be able to from place to place in a little bit of snow if it's flat (like I have in TX), but its scary.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller2002 View Post
    You have a dilemma... No summer tire will be good at all in the snow. You may be able to from place to place in a little bit of snow if it's flat (like I have in TX), but its scary.
    Damn thats what I keep hearing... expected but lame.

Looking at Kumho Ecsta's... how are they?
    -Corey

2011 WRB WRX - Stage 2+
    295whp/305w torque

Quote Originally Posted by azsun View Post
    Damn thats what I keep hearing... expected but lame.

Looking at Kumho Ecsta's... how are they?
    Never heard of that model. It's probably just fine for sane street driving, don't know about snow. Checkout Tire Rack's reviews. I've used Kumho summer tires (XS and SPT) and they were/are a great tire for the money.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

That is a very tough thing to balance...how often do you go skiing in the winter areas?

If you really want performance out of a tire, then any All-season is not gonna be what you want.

If you have the financial means, I'd actually source some really cheap second wheels, and actually throw on winters for the weekends/times you would go up into the mountains.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Think I'm just gonna pick up a set of Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position's, better treadwear (the rex is my daily) and can do enough with snow to handle Az at least. If I start tracking/autoX I'll pick up a set of those cooper summers. Know its kinda ass-backwards, but figure it made the most sense for me?

How much different will an A/S feel vs the stock summers?
    -Corey

2011 WRB WRX - Stage 2+
    295whp/305w torque

Think I'm just gonna pick up a set of Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position's, better treadwear (the rex is my daily) and can do enough with snow to handle Az at least. If I start tracking/autoX I'll pick up a set of those cooper summers. Know its kinda ass-backwards, but figure it made the most sense for me?

How much different will an A/S feel vs the stock summers?
    Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position's... i had these on my last car and loved them! for 4 years i drove to go snowboarding every winter. handled fine in the snow. amazing in the washington rain.

Quote Originally Posted by clt-wrx View Post
    Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position's... i had these on my last car and loved them! for 4 years i drove to go snowboarding every winter. handled fine in the snow. amazing in the washington rain.
    Exactly what I wanted to hear, will be having discount order these babies soon then
    -Corey

2011 WRB WRX - Stage 2+
    295whp/305w torque

I can guarantee you an A/S will feel very different from a summer tire. Just won't be as sticky and will have more noticeable flex in cornering.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Looks like you did some research, found what fits your needs, and made a choice your comfortable with...go for it and don't let anyone tell you different!

As a FYI - I run UHP A/S tires, all season long in NY and never had any problems with them...in any type of weather...never felt the need for dedicated snow tires...DAMN satisfied with them!!!
    Last edited by pmacey; 04-26-2013 at 06:21 PM.
    -MACE-
    *HAVE YOU HAD YOUR WRX TODAY!*

Exactly what I wanted to hear, will be having discount order these babies soon then
    i got mine from discount tire as well, they had the best price through a friends employee discount

I am running Copper RS3 As on my WRX here in Kansas and cannot say enough good things about them.

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk 2

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by pmacey
    As a FYI - I run UHP A/S tires, all season long in NY and never had any problems with them...in any type of weather...never felt the need for dedicated snow tires...DAMN satisfied with them!!!
    That's great. There's no denying that you're giving up traction with a A/S tire vs dedicated sets; the increased traction you get will help both in cornering and stopping. At the limits, you're talking 5+ MPH differences in corner speed between dedicated sets and your UHP A/S tires.

You can surf the Internet on dial-up; doesn't mean that DSL/Cable isn't far superior...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    That's great. There's no denying that you're giving up traction with a A/S tire vs dedicated sets; the increased traction you get will help both in cornering and stopping. At the limits, you're talking 5+ MPH differences in corner speed between dedicated sets and your UHP A/S tires.

You can surf the Internet on dial-up; doesn't mean that DSL/Cable isn't far superior...
    To be honest, I'm probably one of those rare WRX owners that doesn't run our WRX to it's limit in any season, trying to hit a corner hard in world record time, and stop on a dime, and give you 9 cents change...I just want to haul my wife and two kids, keeping my family safe, while driving a car that's a blast to drive...and puts a smile on my face...every time I take it out of the garage! And for me: UHP A/S tires...makes that happen...that's my story, UHP A/S works for me...and I'm sticking to it!!!
    Last edited by pmacey; 04-26-2013 at 07:57 PM.
    -MACE-
    *HAVE YOU HAD YOUR WRX TODAY!*

Quote Originally Posted by pmacey View Post
    To be honest, I'm probably one of those rare WRX owners that doesn't run our WRX to it's limit in any season, trying to hit a corner hard in world record time, and stop on a dime, and give you 9 cents change...I just want to haul my wife and two kids, keeping my family safe, while driving a car that's a blast to drive...and puts a smile on my face...every time I take it out of the garage! And for me: UHP A/S tires...makes that happen...that's my story, UHP A/S works for me...and I'm sticking to it!!!
    That sounds like me too. I put 26k miles a year on my car and UHP A/S tires make a lot of sense.

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk 2

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.