Easy, basic question: Is this a good way to go for swaybars/endlinks?

This is a discussion on Easy, basic question: Is this a good way to go for swaybars/endlinks? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all, I have a 2003 WRX wagon, currently protuned Stage II. I'm looking to upgrade the handling a little ...

Easy, basic question: Is this a good way to go for swaybars/endlinks?

Hi all,

I have a 2003 WRX wagon, currently protuned Stage II. I'm looking to upgrade the handling a little bit. I've read the stickies and searched around the forum and I think I have a good setup, but I just want a last minute opinion.

Planning on ordering:

Whiteline 22mm adjustable front swaybar
    Whiteline 22mm adjustable rear swaybar
    Whiteline endlinks F&R combo for Subaru models 2002-2007 (as my car has 160k I have been advised to replace the stock endlinks)

I'm just looking to upgrade the handling somewhat for daily driving on twisty mountain roads. I'm planning on attending my first AutoX event later in the month, but I don't want to upgrade based on a sport I may or may not make a regular thing.

Any thoughts anyone? I chose Whiteline as they seem to be a reputable brand, though there are several different options all around the same price.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, as a start.

At 160k I would look into replacing the struts. Maybe even going with some Koni inserts. Also, think about at least upgrading your brake pads to something better than OEM.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

The rear struts were replaced with OEM at the beginning of last summer after one blew out. I was told front ones still look good. Haven't heard of Koni inserts before... it looks like a replacement for the stock struts, correct?

Just replacing the brake pads makes a difference? Would there be a brand that you would recommend I look into?

id probably go bigger in the front like 25mm or 24mm with 24mm or 22mm rear..i have 22mm on both and would have rather went bigger up front. also you can get rear sway mounts as well. i have the whitelines and theyre nice. pics of the setup on my build thread in signature.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

I Support ClubWRX
    Go with a 24mm bar up front
    Whiteline endlinks can be noisy. A lot of people replace them with Kartboy as a result.

Pads and fluid would be good. A street pad like StopTech and ATE SuperBlue for fluid. How are the rotors?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

^^ i have kartboy endlinks as well with stoptech pads and centric premium rotors with the h6 kit in rear which helped.
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

I Support ClubWRX
    I am currently running StopTech Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads. they made a huge difference.

Slotted rotors are totally not necessary though. My next rotors will just be blanks.

I bring up brakes because you mentioned Auto-X, upgrading these would be a higher priority on my list than anything else. If you can't stop properly you can't turn properly lol
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

i was goung to try hawks next... i think theyre a little better from what ive heard^^
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

Okay, so I've switched out the Whiteline endlinks for Kartboy. Awesome input, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257
    Pads and fluid would be good. A street pad like StopTech and ATE SuperBlue for fluid. How are the rotors?
    I'm not 100% sure what to look for, but they look good overall. Front passenger side has a groove in it near the center of the wheel all the way around. The other 3 look generally smooth. I have noticed in the last week
    that a soft screech has developed when braking at very low speeds... it used to do it only very occasionally when braking at low speeds and I was told that was normal and that the brakes were in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox
    I bring up brakes because you mentioned Auto-X, upgrading these would be a higher priority on my list than anything else. If you can't stop properly you can't turn properly lol
    Totally. I don't really want to upgrade based on AutoX right now... I'm planning on attending my first one soon, but I live in a pretty remote area, so even if I love it (which I probably will), it won't be more than a couple times a year. I'd much rather have something that works great on the street than something that kills it in AutoX. That being said, I definitely like the idea of being able to stop well haha.

As far as the 24mm bar up front, I was looking through the sticky about swaybars and saw this piece of advice:

Street: 20mm - 22mm adjustable swaybars both front and rear. These bars will provide improved handling and still provide predictable road manners.

Street/Some AutoX: 24mm - 26mm front bar & 22mm adj. rear bar. The larger front bar will provide both better turn in and reduced understeer. The rear bar can be adjusted stiffer if desired to increase oversteer (rotation) in corners.
    Note: Both of these handling changes are useful on the AutoX course but can (to some) make the car dart into corners, feel more twitchy or make the rear end more loose. The driver should pay particular attention to off throttle oversteer.
    Does this follow everyone's practical experience? To me it does make sense to upgrade them proportionally (stock has a larger front bar than rear, I believe), but I'm definitely looking for something that carves mountain roads (I live in the mountains at 7000 ft) more than something that will give me that fastest times around a course.

Looks like brake pads aren't too expensive. I'm pretty new to all this with cars but I'm pretty into mountain bikes -- a lot of the technology transfers but not everything. I wouldn't have thought about replacing just the pads to improve the whole system.

Thanks everyone for your input, this is awesome.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh
    i was goung to try hawks next... i think theyre a little better from what ive heard^^
    I'd go StopTech, given the choice.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I'd go StopTech, given the choice.
    I'd say it's personal preference and driving style at that point. I've had StopTechs and Hawk HPS...and the HPS's seem to provide a better initial bite which I personally liked better.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I've got an 02 sedan and recently put 24 front and 22 rear both adjustable and kartboy endlinks on. It is a well worth it upgrade. Going over speed bumps or parts of the road that are higher in parts than others is a bit different now, car kinda wants to stay as flat as possible or something. Corners are fun now, well more fune, superfun even!
    I wish I would have done my rear mounts when I was putting the sways on. The stock mounts look and feel flimsy.
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build