Who Has Put Your Summer Tires Back On? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Who Has Put Your Summer Tires Back On? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I auto X and track my WRX, so I can't/won't run all-seasons. If I had a legacy GT or something, ...

I Support ClubWRX
    I auto X and track my WRX, so I can't/won't run all-seasons. If I had a legacy GT or something, just a cruiser then I'd consider high performance all seasons but even then I'd drive like a little punk in the snow. Truth be told no single compound is good enough to do it all. Due to compromises in tread design and compound hardness/softness all seasons start to falter at the extreme ends of the performance spectrum that a car like the wrx on the east coast will reach. It's too hard to be any good in the summer and isn't soft enough in the winter for any real grip beyond the immediate edges of the contact patch. For people who run them on their car power to you; it's your car and your choice, you shouldn't be too concerned about what other people think and or are doing. For the rest of you that run two sets of wheels/tires that was your choice and if you stand by it that's great; but your logic isn't and probably won't be everyone else's. Different strokes for different folks. The autoX/track season ends in October, so by the first of November to the 15th I try to get on winter compounds because running on cold summers just DESTROYS them. Then around April 1st to the 15th I swap to my summer wheels for the exact same reason, running winters in the 50's/60's eats them up.
    Drive Hard, Stay Driven..

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by pmacey View Post
    Did you have a 06-07 WRX with those tires? Did they really disappoint you?
    Here we go again, sigh.

(Waits for the argument about how one magical tire compound is better than all others)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by pmacey View Post
    Did you have a 06-07 WRX with those tires? Did they really disappoint you?
    Don't know if the stock tires on a 2006 WRX were BS because I never owned one...but the UHP A/S tires that came stock on my 2005 WRX, never let me down @ ALL!!!...in all driving conditions...and I beat the HELL out of that WRX in the Winter Seasons and early Spring with Mud and potholes...I took it out during hot summer days, carving up the Highway and local roads, and they worked flawless!

Thanks for the feedback!
    No, but I had numerous friends with them and I drove them plenty of times. Grip was minimal compared to a good summer tire. Lot of sidewall flex. Mediocre grip in wet, and still piss poor in the winter. In comparison to the RE070s that were on my 07 STI, they might have been one of the worse tires I had experienced. I'd venture to say that my current Dunlop Wintersport winter tires I just took off had better handling and dry grip characteristics compared to the RE92s from the 06-07 WRXs.

Considering my tenure here that started in 2006, I recall the "best first mods" questions, and the answers from numerous owners always being "better rubber because the RE92s are terrible."
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree that a good set of summers are superior but let's not go down that road in this thread!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    No all-season tire will outperform a seasonal tire in its respective season. /argument.

My summers are on!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

zax
    Summer tires in the snow makes life more interesting!

Facebook me here

Please exit the building.
    Last edited by silvercookie; 04-10-2013 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Summer tires in the snow makes life more interesting!
    I didn't have winter tires in the first winter with my 07 STI...I didn't know about em lulz. Needless to say...I slid all over the place and thought "why does my awesome traction AWD car suck in the snow???? WTF bro? Do you even lift?"
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I didn't have winter tires in the first winter with my 07 STI...I didn't know about em lulz. Needless to say...I slid all over the place and thought "why does my awesome traction AWD car suck in the snow???? WTF bro? Do you even lift?"
    UMad bro?

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    UMad bro?
    SoMad.

Had my dealer swap them out on Monday and do an oil change while it was in. Figure I needed to give them a little more of my money for all the great work they do. Was expecting my service writer was going to give me the riot act about my mods to 2013 WRX, but no mention at all about the AEM intake, Cobb downpipe, or the fact I gave them the car in valet mode .

Seriously, they do great work and supports this site. Although, I will be doing my own oil changes the rest of the year until Winter rolls back around again.

Registered User Sheleileigh Law's Avatar
    Yes, just had em switched over on Thursday-with oil change, alignment, chassis brace, tower strut bar and rally armour mud flaps Very nice!

Next winter should be easier. Just bought a set of stock '12 WRX wheels from a fellow member here to mount my all season tires on. Tire swaps are going to be so much better having a complete set already mounted and balanced with TPMS in each wheel. Now I will be able to go more aggressive with my summer tires once the stocks are gone.

Not me : the below picture is from this morning, this is just the beginning, it's still going and getting worse...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

zax
    Is it December?!

Facebook me here

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast