2002 WRX Creaking Struts/tops

This is a discussion on 2002 WRX Creaking Struts/tops within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So my 02 WRX Wagon has developed a creaking up-front that I can hear when turning into parking spots, driveways, ...

2002 WRX Creaking Struts/tops

So my 02 WRX Wagon has developed a creaking up-front that I can hear when turning into parking spots, driveways, etc. i.e. low speed and usually when turning. it seems to be coming from under the top mounts. I'm thinking I may try to get a can of spray grease and try to shoot some grease up under there trying to get the conical washer before I go to the hassle and expense of removing the struts. Can't hurt, right?
    Or, what if I "fill" up the top side of the top-mount bearing area with some grease and see if it trickles through over time. can't hurt? I just don't know if I'm up to all of the heavy work of removing the struts again. I'm getting to the age where I see why people are paid to do that...

Following upgrades, done several years ago by me and have been problem-free.
    Whiteline Com-C top mounts
    Koni inserts
    RCE wagon springs

Thanks for any advice.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I put new shocks in about a year ago, and once again I have the same problem as you descride but the sound is traveling up from the rear shocks this time.
    Its just the top mounts and really dont want to rip the rear out again..
    My country roads do not help, so I have just come to the idea of just ignoring it. Just sick of taking them in and out to sort a knock thats just gonna come back a few months down the road.

These cars suffer from this issue there has to be a way of getting rid of it permanently?!?!

And having to regrease them every 10-15k next time I wont get the genuine shocks again.

Sent from Note 2

my noise is new. I've had the car since '07.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

Here's what I may try.
    Put some grease down in the recess on top of the bearing, but no so high as to cover the strut top nut.
    Put a small metal funnel upside down completely covering the recess in the strut top, making as best a seal as I can on the rubber strut top.
    Get my rubber tipped air gun and try to pressurize the grease down into the bearing with, say 30 psi. Ad more psi if needed.

What do y'all think?
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

Still creaks. Thought it stopped at first, but its now same as before...I don;t want to take out the struts and all...
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff