Noob question for aftermarket wheels
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Noob question for aftermarket wheels within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so I bought a set of Rota Grids in 17x8 +44 offset since that was the closest I could ...

Noob question for aftermarket wheels

Ok so I bought a set of Rota Grids in 17x8 +44 offset since that was the closest I could get to factory. Had them install on the factory dunlops a few days ago and I've noticed the steering is just horrible. I feel like I'm going to destroy the AWD system or something else really dramatic like that lol.

Is this normal? I asked a local dealer about aligning the car and they told me it really wouldn't help at all, since the offset on the new wheels is different. Is there anything I can do aside from putting the factory wheels back on?

Also, I didn't install TPMS sensors with the new wheels but I wouldn't think that affects the driving.. except for the stupid light being on the cluster.
    2012 SWP WRX Premium
    35% tint and that's all she wrote

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Define, "steering is horrible"?

Turning like a tank? Very stiff? Like you lost your power steering?
    2012 Limited Black Pearl WRX
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

Quote Originally Posted by scarmack View Post
    Define, "steering is horrible"?

Turning like a tank? Very stiff? Like you lost your power steering?
    Doesn't seem like a loss in power steering. It does not seem very smooth at all, and the road noise from the tires sounds abnormally loud.
    2012 SWP WRX Premium

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like the wheels aren't balanced properly or something.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Tire pressure?
    2012 Limited Black Pearl WRX
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

The offset on those wheels aren't bad. Sounds like the tires may not be mounted or balanced properly as mentioned.

Are the wheels hubcentric?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Thanks for all the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by scarmack View Post
    Tire pressure?
    They were set to 40 which I thought was a bit high, so I dropped it down to 34-35. Still drives the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    The offset on those wheels aren't bad. Sounds like the tires may not be mounted or balanced properly as mentioned.

Are the wheels hubcentric?
    Yea I didn't think the offset would cause a problem. I watched the tech balance them, but spoke to him again today and he also suggested an issue with the tires.

I did use hubcentric rings if that's what you mean?

I'm going to buy some TPMS sensors cause the light is annoying me, so he can take a better look at the tires when they arrive.

Speaking of TPMS, has anybody bought sensors outside of a dealership? I can get them for about $65 a piece at my local dealer and haven't found anything cheaper.
    2012 SWP WRX Premium

I Support ClubWRX
    Are the tires directional? That wou feel like that if they or even one was on backwards
    - 2013 Silver WRX Stage 2 Hatch - SPT and Cobb upgrades, Thule Snowboard racks
    - 2012 Dodge Charger R/T
    - 1988 ASC McLaren Mustang

I have some 8.5 wide +40's in a summer tire and they drag me all over in the tire grooves on the roads around Denver. My stockers do it a little but my Conti DW's can catch me off guard and have me in another lane in no time if the grooves are bad enough. I do get an alignment when I switch my wheels over, yay for lifetime alignments, and it does help but does not eliminate it entirely.

Good luck with it, nothing more annoying than always driving and wondering what's wrong with your baby!

Quote Originally Posted by BombAtomic View Post
    Are the tires directional? That wou feel like that if they or even one was on backwards
    It's the factory dunlop's and I'm not sure if they are directional, but I walked around it and saw "outside" written on the tires. I normally bought Hankook's for my previous cars and they had an arrow indicating which way to mount them. I'll check them again tomorrow to make sure I didn't miss something.

Quote Originally Posted by MercRising View Post
    I have some 8.5 wide +40's in a summer tire and they drag me all over in the tire grooves on the roads around Denver. My stockers do it a little but my Conti DW's can catch me off guard and have me in another lane in no time if the grooves are bad enough. I do get an alignment when I switch my wheels over, yay for lifetime alignments, and it does help but does not eliminate it entirely.

Good luck with it, nothing more annoying than always driving and wondering what's wrong with your baby!
    Yea the roads here are terrible, but it definitely did not drive this way with the stock wheels on the dunlops and my new wheels are still 17x8's. I am thinking about an alignment just to be safe because of all the potholes I can't dodge.

And thank you, I am so paranoid about screwing up my car with something as stupid as aftermarket wheels.
    2012 SWP WRX Premium

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.