Time for new summer tires, need some help deciding.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Time for new summer tires, need some help deciding. within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Later this month I should have enough saved up to get one of these sets of tires. It is getting ...

Time for new summer tires, need some help deciding.

Later this month I should have enough saved up to get one of these sets of tires. It is getting warmer here and I dont want to run my winter tires past April. I have narrowed it down to 3 tires all around $125 per tire. I'm not looking to spend much more then that per tire, I want to keep it at $500 or under for the set. I have narrowed it down to these three sets but would like some feed back from those who have used them before or have experience with them.

1. Nitto NT 555 Extreme

2. Yokohama S.drive

3. BFGoodrich Sport Comp2

The last summer set of tires I had were the sport comp 2 and while I did like them I found them to be a bit noisy. I have friends that had the Nitto's on their Mustangs and liked them and I have used Yokohama in the past on my Mustang but not the S. Drive. I dont need a tire for autoX so I'm not looking at the higher priced summer tires at this point. I just want something that is a well rounded tire for fun driving and will do decent in the rain. Reason I did not list other tires that may be close to these in price is b/c I did not like the tread pattern or design so no need to suggest other tires I already know which ones I would consider. Thanks.
    2007 WRX STI- Stock 13.8@102

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have used the Conti DW and Bridgestone 760, liked them both with the Conti DW being a little softer in the sidewall and delivering more grip and a quieter ride. The 760 has a little better feedback I think, but both were pretty good. The DW got a lot better after about 1000 miles on them

Never considered Continental but the reviews on them have been good and a more quiet ride is a plus. I deff want a summer only tire and they still fall in the acceptable price range.

How much are you looking to spend per tire?
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ
    Invidia Catless Downpipe, Custom Short Ram Intake, Self Tuned Using ECU Flash, Romraider and Tactrix

I Support ClubWRX
    I got my Cooper RS3-S tires for $500 shipped in the fall. Great budget tire...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Venom351R View Post
    I have narrowed it down to 3 tires all around $125 per tire. I'm not looking to spend much more then that per tire, I want to keep it at $500 or under for the set.
    Quote Originally Posted by anpato View Post
    How much are you looking to spend per tire?
    Divided by 4 = approx 125-135 per tire.

I'll do some reading up on the coopers as well EJ

Oh yeah one other general question. The tires that are on it now are 225's and I think are the stock width that comes w/ the car. Any issues going up to a 235 tire on stock BBS wheels on an 07 STI?
    Last edited by Venom351R; 04-04-2013 at 08:18 AM.

I was going to recommend the Toyo R1r's as theyre really grippy tires. Only thing is theyre about 225 a piece.
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ
    Invidia Catless Downpipe, Custom Short Ram Intake, Self Tuned Using ECU Flash, Romraider and Tactrix

Way to much for what I want to spend. I'm not auto xing with the car at this point. I don't need that high end of a tire and If I was I was id go with the star spec's anyway

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom351R
    Oh yeah one other general question. The tires that are on it now are 225's and I think are the stock width that comes w/ the car. Any issues going up to a 235 tire on stock BBS wheels on an 07 STI?
    Stock size is 225/45/17. I ran 245/40/17 on my last summer setup, but am back to 225/45/17 (couldn't find the Coopers in 245/40).

You can run 235s, but use a tire calculator to know what effect it will have on your speedometer.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I got my Cooper RS3-S tires for $500 shipped in the fall. Great budget tire...
    I fully support this tire. I love em...and continue suggesting them to others, and they keep liking em. It's a good trend for a budget tire.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Venom351R View Post
    Way to much for what I want to spend. I'm not auto xing with the car at this point. I don't need that high end of a tire and If I was I was id go with the star spec's anyway
    Well I am a bit of a track junkie but my brother had them on his MAzdaSpeed 3 and loved them. Never tracked it. But theyre worth what you pay. BUt budget wise the coopers are the way to go.
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ

well after doing lots of tire review reading today and price comparisons Ive decided to go with the Cooper RS3-S. As far as the tire speed difference between a 225 and 235 it goes from .28 MPH increase at 20 MPH and increases up to .92 MPH at 65 MPH. So less then 1 MPH difference from 20-65. So overall not a big deal. Id like to have a little wider tire on there anyway. At some point I would like to get a high end type tire on the car if I got into auto X and might try it out this summer anyway but for the daily use of what I do with the car it does not make much sense for me to put a really expensive tire on there and a more budget type tire will still provide great traction on the roads for some more spirited driving in the summer on some curvy roads.

As far as prices go the best overall price I found was through discount tire direct. $118 per tire with free shipping. Out the door of $472 and currently tire warehouse is offering 20% spring tire change overs for this month. Id buy them from tire warehouse but they dont list cooper tires on their site but I'll check w/ them before I order just to be sure, maybe they will price match or beat discount tire direct.
    Last edited by Venom351R; 04-04-2013 at 02:14 PM.

^ nice. You won't be disappointed. And for a summer performance tire, they have a great treadwear rating as well.

You'll find that the 225s actually fill out the STI BBS's (05-07) better than the original RE-070s did. They seem to fit "perfectly" on to them.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

They looked beefier than the stock dunlops on my 09 WRX. They are great tires, I recommend them to anyone looking for a good budget summer tire.

well its good that these tires are getting so many positive reviews, makes me feel good about getting them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.