Steering wheel, slight vibration...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Steering wheel, slight vibration... within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Morning all. I'm not sure if I'm paranoid but... The other night I hit a big pothole. Since then I've ...

Steering wheel, slight vibration...

Morning all. I'm not sure if I'm paranoid but... The other night I hit a big pothole. Since then I've been constantly being anal about the ride of the car. Since then I've noticed a slight pulse/vibration on the steering wheel. It's not violent, but very light/faint. It usually comes it if over 50mph. Now I don't know if its always been there. Maybe I'm just very paranoid. Hopefully it's normal.

Does it pull to the side? No... Got it checked, got a wheel alignment, and got the tires balanced. Still there.

Any advise? Is it normal harshness of a 12 wrx wagon?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Did you get your tires rotated? Did you notice of you bent the rim when you hit the pothole? These could cause vibration. If everything checks out then could just be the roads.
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ
    Invidia Catless Downpipe, Custom Short Ram Intake, Self Tuned Using ECU Flash, Romraider and Tactrix

were they balanced right? lol sounds simple and stupid but can easily be screwed up.
    sorry this is actually hard to diagnose without feeling the vibration yourself.
    wheel balance issues, loosened suspension somewhere maybe....choppy tires...bad roads...wheel bearing...
    hell even if your tire pressures arent right itl throw the balance off you know?

Quote Originally Posted by CaQuin View Post
    Morning all. I'm not sure if I'm paranoid but... The other night I hit a big pothole. Since then I've been constantly being anal about the ride of the car. Since then I've noticed a slight pulse/vibration on the steering wheel. It's not violent, but very light/faint. It usually comes it if over 50mph. Now I don't know if its always been there. Maybe I'm just very paranoid. Hopefully it's normal.

Does it pull to the side? No... Got it checked, got a wheel alignment, and got the tires balanced. Still there.

Any advise? Is it normal harshness of a 12 wrx wagon?

Thanks!
    I had this same exact problem with my 2011 WRX one month after purchasing it. I brought it to the dealership multiple times. They kept telling me that is the way the WRX drives ... however, it didn't have the vibrate/unsteady shake prior to the bump I hit on the highway. It's also not the "feel of the road" because it's always there when I drive over 60 mph (new tarmac or old tarmac). I've had my tires rebalance multiple times, an alignment and rotations. To me there seems to be a problem wheel, the one that whenever they re-balance - it is the one that has the most weight on it and moves around with each rebalancing attempt compared to the other three tires. I was especially pi**ed off because I purchased the extended warranty that covered the wheels and they still wouldn't replace the one that was the problem. I finally gave up and still have the vibration today. I do notice that if I drive over 80 mph then it goes away ... so I just drive over 80 on the highway

I'm now looking into purchasing 18" wheels, so my problem will be fixed soon.

Hope you have better luck.
    Last edited by Wussola; 03-27-2013 at 02:14 PM.
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

When I bought my used WRX it came with brand new tires. There was a shimmy in the steering, speed related that indicated off-balnce right away. The dealer had to re-balance and that was not done when I went to pick it up. So the dealer paid a shop in my town to do it. I think the tires where originally balanced, the new looking weights where there. But then someone hit the gas hard and slipped the newly installed tires on the rim. Since re-balance and careful driving for a bit, there hasn't been any more issue.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    were they balanced right? lol sounds simple and stupid but can easily be screwed up.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Wussola View Post
    ...it's always there when I drive over 60 mph... if I drive over 80 mph then it goes away.
    If you can drive through it, it's balancing. Did you try taking the car somewhere other than the dealer to have the wheels balanced? If the balancing machine isn't calibrated regularly, it doesn't matter how many times your wheels are balanced or how good the tech doing the job is, it's never gonna' be right.

Thanks for the replies. I brought it back to the place where I got it balanced and realigned... They rebalanced it, it somewhat made it better, they said that the tires are feathering out which contributes to the vibration. I'm feeling a faint pulsating randomly but much better now. The guy said the only way to get rid of it completely is with a new set of tires however the life of it is still good. If I can take the vibration, there is no need to get a new set of tires.

Quote Originally Posted by CaQuin View Post
    If I can take the vibration, there is no need to get a new set of tires.
    Well, perhaps. But the vibration could be putting excessive wear on your wheel bearings. Not that I'd be excited about buying a new set of tires when the current ones still had life in them.

Funny I have the same issue.

I took my car to the dealer and he rotated my tires. front ones to the back and vice versa.

When we looked under my car, the inside of the front tires had more wear than any part of the tire. And the inside of my front right tire had the most.

So this is def an alignment issue.

So last Wednesday, the mechanic rotated them and the steering wheel wasnt vibrating or w.e but it was still vibrating when breaking gradually at high speeds

Im going back again next wednesday to get my alignment and balancing done. I really hope this will fix the vibration when gradually braking.
    \_(ツ)_/
    Kunal - Ordered 2015 DGM WRX
    Photographer | Dancer | Tech Nerd | The Stink-Eye Mob #7
    First Mods: What and what not to do
    2011+ Big Mod Thread
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by kprugbyplaya View Post

I took my car to the dealer and he rotated my tires. front ones to the back and vice versa.

When we looked under my car, the inside of the front tires had more wear than any part of the tire. And the inside of my front right tire had the most.

So last Wednesday, the mechanic rotated them and the steering wheel wasnt vibrating or w.e but it was still vibrating when breaking gradually at high speeds

Im going back again next wednesday to get my alignment and balancing done. I really hope this will fix the vibration when gradually braking.

I would agree that if your front tires have worn on the insides, that's an alignment problem (toeing (towing?) out too far), but I can't see how a vibration under braking could have anything to do with with wheel balancing or alignment. Neither of those things change when you press the brake pedal. A vibration that happens only under braking is usually a warped brake disc.

Having a car with badly aligned wheels also leads to other connected problems. Your brake shaft does not work to optimal levels. The tendency to pull to one side due to uneven tires causes problems in the steering system. It also leads to uneven braking.

But yes def good point on the rotors being warped (that would be my first judgement). I was going to have them check that out just in case next wednesday.

I mean I would assume that the rotors was the first thing he checked the first time I went to him.
    \_(ツ)_/
    Kunal - Ordered 2015 DGM WRX
    Photographer | Dancer | Tech Nerd | The Stink-Eye Mob #7
    First Mods: What and what not to do
    2011+ Big Mod Thread
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by kprugbyplaya View Post

The vibration while braking at highway speeds indicates warped rotors.

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    +1

If you can drive through it, it's balancing. Did you try taking the car somewhere other than the dealer to have the wheels balanced? If the balancing machine isn't calibrated regularly, it doesn't matter how many times your wheels are balanced or how good the tech doing the job is, it's never gonna' be right.

Yes I did ... and of course when they put my car up on the lift - they didn't adjust the lift correctly and bent/damaged my side skirts. Vibration problem still persisted
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Wussola View Post
    Yes I did ... and of course when they put my car up on the lift - they didn't adjust the lift correctly and bent/damaged my side skirts. Vibration problem still persisted
    Don't you just love it when you pay professionals to do a job and they damage something? Nice.

After reading your original post again, with regards to one wheel needing noticeably more weight to balance than the others, it does sound like you damaged the wheel in some way. I'm sure someone's already tried, but you could check the bearings. Jack the car up and grab each wheel with two hands - one at the top and one at the bottom. Try rocking the wheel back and forth away from you. If there's any play, you could have a faulty bearing. But, my guess is probably damaged wheel at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Don't you just love it when you pay professionals to do a job and they damage something? Nice.

After reading your original post again, with regards to one wheel needing noticeably more weight to balance than the others, it does sound like you damaged the wheel in some way. I'm sure someone's already tried, but you could check the bearings. Jack the car up and grab each wheel with two hands - one at the top and one at the bottom. Try rocking the wheel back and forth away from you. If there's any play, you could have a faulty bearing. But, my guess is probably damaged wheel at this stage.
    ya sounds like a bad wheel...bent rim in anyway...
    try keeping that wheel in the rear maybe?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.