DIYused Coilover Install or New struts/springs

This is a discussion on DIYused Coilover Install or New struts/springs within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, I am debating between coilovers (BC BR) or AGX KYB(or)Koni inserts with Yellow springs. The issue is I know ...

DIYused Coilover Install or New struts/springs

So, I am debating between coilovers (BC BR) or AGX KYB(or)Koni inserts with Yellow springs. The issue is I know it will be way too much work for me by myself to install struts and springs. I also don't want to pay $400 for the install of struts/springs, although the guy would through in a free alignment for me. I am really torn, because this is a DD in southern California and will only see the track once in a while, but will see a lot of spirited driving on back roads. I don't mind a little bit of a harsh ride, but really I do like the adjust-ability of the BC BRs.

Would it be worth my time to wait for a good deal on used coilovers, rip out the old struts/springs and install the coils myself? Or should I go out and get new struts/springs (probably Group N top hats also) and pay to have them professionally installed(and aligned)?

Problem is, all my friends are incompetent when it comes to cars. So I have zero help if I ever decided to go through the immense struggle that is getting new springs on the car. Has anyone installed coilovers by themselves within a day? I am no expert, but I can easily take things apart and put them back together with no problems. I don't have any specialty tools, but figured if I do need them I could rent them from autozone or something.

Thanks for the advice guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If you can install coilovers, you can install struts/springs. You just need a spring compressor, which are relatively cheap.

I would NOT buy used coilovers over a new set of struts/springs. Not to mention, BC coilovers are garbage, and shouldn't be installed on a car if the owner is looking for anything other than an improvement in looks (the performance increase isn't there).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Ok thanks for the honest advice. What about used AGX KYB with Yellow Springs that only had about 6-10k miles on it? Can I trust those more than used coilovers? I already know from research that this would be a great DD setup that gives good performance if you include some top hats also.

I Support ClubWRX
    Struts are a wear item. I would not buy used...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC