DIYused Coilover Install or New struts/springs
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on DIYused Coilover Install or New struts/springs within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, I am debating between coilovers (BC BR) or AGX KYB(or)Koni inserts with Yellow springs. The issue is I know ...

DIYused Coilover Install or New struts/springs

So, I am debating between coilovers (BC BR) or AGX KYB(or)Koni inserts with Yellow springs. The issue is I know it will be way too much work for me by myself to install struts and springs. I also don't want to pay $400 for the install of struts/springs, although the guy would through in a free alignment for me. I am really torn, because this is a DD in southern California and will only see the track once in a while, but will see a lot of spirited driving on back roads. I don't mind a little bit of a harsh ride, but really I do like the adjust-ability of the BC BRs.

Would it be worth my time to wait for a good deal on used coilovers, rip out the old struts/springs and install the coils myself? Or should I go out and get new struts/springs (probably Group N top hats also) and pay to have them professionally installed(and aligned)?

Problem is, all my friends are incompetent when it comes to cars. So I have zero help if I ever decided to go through the immense struggle that is getting new springs on the car. Has anyone installed coilovers by themselves within a day? I am no expert, but I can easily take things apart and put them back together with no problems. I don't have any specialty tools, but figured if I do need them I could rent them from autozone or something.

Thanks for the advice guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If you can install coilovers, you can install struts/springs. You just need a spring compressor, which are relatively cheap.

I would NOT buy used coilovers over a new set of struts/springs. Not to mention, BC coilovers are garbage, and shouldn't be installed on a car if the owner is looking for anything other than an improvement in looks (the performance increase isn't there).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Ok thanks for the honest advice. What about used AGX KYB with Yellow Springs that only had about 6-10k miles on it? Can I trust those more than used coilovers? I already know from research that this would be a great DD setup that gives good performance if you include some top hats also.

I Support ClubWRX
    Struts are a wear item. I would not buy used...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.