2013 sti 5 door, which adjustable struts for optional soft ride
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2013 sti 5 door, which adjustable struts for optional soft ride within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just bought my first subaru and i love it. 2013 STI five door. Unfortunately my wife hates it. Says ...

2013 sti 5 door, which adjustable struts for optional soft ride

I just bought my first subaru and i love it. 2013 STI five door. Unfortunately my wife hates it. Says the ride is too stiff. I sold my BMW 540i to buy the STI and she misses the ride. I know it will never ride like a five series but I am looking for some adjustable struts and considering WRX springs. I would like the option to crank it up for a possible track day or autocross. Does anyone know of a strut that would yield a nice soft ride and when fully cranked up give stock STI performance? I know the springs may need to be softer but i am ok with that considering it is a street car 99.9% of the time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think your only option is Koni (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I've got them on my 11 wrx with RCE yellows and I love it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rupert14 View Post
    I just bought my first subaru and i love it. 2013 STI five door. Unfortunately my wife hates it. Says the ride is too stiff. I sold my BMW 540i to buy the STI and she misses the ride. I know it will never ride like a five series but I am looking for some adjustable struts and considering WRX springs. I would like the option to crank it up for a possible track day or autocross. Does anyone know of a strut that would yield a nice soft ride and when fully cranked up give stock STI performance? I know the springs may need to be softer but i am ok with that considering it is a street car 99.9% of the time.
    Just keep telling her that you are looking into it for the next year and she will forget about it eventually.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Just keep telling her that you are looking into it for the next year and she will forget about it eventually.
    tell her that making the ride softer will cost $1000 and that money could be better spent to buy her shoes, or a michael kors bag, or a tiffany necklace. (if shes in to that kinda stuff) lol

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Honestly dude, sell it and get a WRX. Or get a new wife.

One of the reasons the STI is built is to have stiffer more precise handling. You will kill its soul if you swap springs with WRX springs...and probably kill the handling since the spring rates are much different.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    tell her that making the ride softer will cost $1000 and that money could be better spent to buy her shoes, or a michael kors bag, or a tiffany necklace. (if shes in to that kinda stuff) lol
    This is pretty accurate, konis + rce springs will put you around 900ish.

Cant remember the STI spring rates, but Im pretty sure the RCE blacks are softer and the RCE yellows are stiffer. So yeah, might be a lose-lose for ya.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jpatt
    This is pretty accurate, konis + rce springs will put you around 900ish.

Cant remember the STI spring rates, but Im pretty sure the RCE blacks are softer and the RCE yellows are stiffer. So yeah, might be a lose-lose for ya.
    Except that Koni doesn't make a strut for the STI, last I knew
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Sorry, must have been mistaken. Thought they made inserts for the front and shocks for the rear.

Well, looks like i need to keep the spring rate. I am no street racer but i am a three time desert racing points champ and i know that on my race car we can change a lot by adjusting the bypass shocks and keeping the same spring rate. I know we are dealing with a couple inches if travel instead of 18 inches. If there are some adjustable struts or coilovers i can get with the same spring rate and adjustable shock valving i am willing to pay around $1500 for them. I just don't want to spend the $$ if all the settings are stiffer than stock. I would be ok if the firmest setting is like stock and if i want better handling i will just upgrade the swaybars.

That's also the thing...most coilovers will be the same, or significantly stiffer than stock as well. Dampening might be lower, but that usually defeats the purpose of coils completely.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

air bags.

Will WRX springs/struts fit? If so, what years?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.