Steering wheel pop

This is a discussion on Steering wheel pop within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Noticed a weird pop feeling in my steering wheel today. It happens right around when the wheel is centered and ...

Steering wheel pop

Noticed a weird pop feeling in my steering wheel today. It happens right around when the wheel is centered and turning slowly. I can feel it though the steering wheel pretty well. Only does is at low speed or stopped. I can shake the wheel back and forth fast and I don't feel it. I did the outer tie rods and ball joints last week and the inner tie rods were fine and it was aligned yesterday. Like I said didn't notice it till today though. It feels like tension builds up before it pops, all of this has been while the engine is running have not tried it with no power assist yet. Car has 194k on it so, but nothing was found wrong when I had it aligned yesterday. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ok, it does not do it when the car is not running.

Power steering problem? Air in the system. leak?
    Check the reservoir for bubbles.

My car did that at low speeds when I had a leak =/

sway bar end links?

The end links appeared fine when I did the other parts last week. I will have to check the ps system.

Ok my ds front cv needs replacing, in a low speed right turn I get a metallic draging sound. The inner boot is torn, noticed that last week. Can a bad cv cause an audable pop that can be felt through the steering wheel? Never had a cv go bad before on anything. Going to check the wheel bearing when I replace the cv axle.

Wheel bearing was toast, new cv axle and bearing for front ds and no sign of the pop now.

Question. Did you just buy the bearing or did you buy the hub assembly. Im trying to figure out if I just buy the hub assembly if it will come with a bearing already pressed into it? Price wise they seem to be the same.

I bought a bearing and pair of seals, no hub. The hub has to be knocked out then the bearing pressed out. I took my knuckle and parts to a mechanic I trust and had him do the bearing r&r.

Quote Originally Posted by white-lightning View Post
    Ok my ds front cv needs replacing, in a low speed right turn I get a metallic draging sound. The inner boot is torn, noticed that last week. Can a bad cv cause an audable pop that can be felt through the steering wheel? Never had a cv go bad before on anything. Going to check the wheel bearing when I replace the cv axle.
    A bad CV can cause a pop while turning as well as accelerating