Strut and spring combo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Strut and spring combo within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So now that I have the money I am going to replace my struts and springs. I am not looking ...

Strut and spring combo

So now that I have the money I am going to replace my struts and springs. I am not looking to lower my car but just make the handling a little bit tighter. For struts I have been reading that the KYB GR2's are supposed to be great, so I am looking into those, however I can only seem to find the Excel-G for 04 wrx. Is there a difference between the GR2's and Excel G's? Right now I found the Excel G for $356 for all four with free shipping which seem sot be the best deal so far. Please feel free to throw a better deal my way... Here is the link for the KYB's

Bilstein - KYB - Rancho - Monroe - Edelbrock Automotive Truck Shocks and Struts - Shockwarehouse.com

As for springs I was considering doing STi springs, but I have read quite a bit about Eibach springs on here. I found the Eibach springs for $220 which is around $30 less than what I found for the STi springs. Here is the link for the Eibach:

Eibach Pro-Kit Spring Set

Does this seem like a decent setup? My budget is around $700, and as I said I am not looking to lower my car. Oh yeah, for mounts I was going to use the KYB that is in the link I posted as well. Let me know what you think

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Both GR2s and Excel-Gs are just stock replacements. They aren't designed to improve dampening.. that said, when deconstructed GR2s are better made than Excel-Gs, despite what KYB may tell you. (I think they may be trying to phase out the GR2).

I don't know the spring rates for STi springs off the top of my head, but the Eibach Pro Kit springs are progressive and have very soft springs rates. Which is good for ride comfort, but does little to improve handling. They are more for the looks of lowering while retaining stockish handling and ride characteristics.

I don't know about good struts AND springs for $700.. a set of struts that will handle upgraded springs well will probably cost around $700 alone. If you're really wanting to improve handling then I would look for D-Specs and RCE Black "regular guy" springs. Problem is, the D-Specs will run you about $800.

Why dont you just get F/R Sways and Endlinks and then upgrade from there?

You will feel a pretty big difference after the swap and then later on you can just get the struts and springs

For struts/springs, from my reading and from what people talk about in here, I would recommend Koni yellow and RCE( black for less drop and yellow for more drop)

If you want dont want much of a drop and still keep the stiffness go with black...if you want the drop and still keep the stiffness go rce yellow

Here is a link that describes the yellow and the black (regular guy)

RCE SPRINGS - Springs & Shocks

Personally, I want to do struts and spring but they are mad expensive, so im going to start out with sways and endlinks

It will get you started esp with your budget

Well the struts on my car are pretty worn. So unfortunately I am very overdue for replacement. I use my wrx as my DD, I don't take it racing or anything. Just the occasional cruise on a nice day. I WISH I could get koni's or RCE's , I would love to put them on my car. Maybe if I get a sudden influx on money then they are as good as mine! But...I don't think that is going to happen

Mainframe: You said that the KYB's are just stock replacement, and Eibach's do not do better for handling, but do you think they will be a decline in handling from the stock suspension, or just the same? I was also checking out Tein S-techs, which are a little more than I would like to spend right now, but definitely entertaining the idea. Do you have any experience or knowledge on these springs?

kpurgbyplaya: Definitely good suggestions man. Those were things I wanted to do to my suspensions a few years ago, and still plan on doing, but once I replace the struts...Do you have sway bars and endlinks on your suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by kord9 View Post
    I was also checking out Tein S-techs..

these are not the springs you want..

The Eibachs on GR2s I would expect to be an improvement over stock, more so seeing that your struts are worn. I don't know how long those struts would hold up, but probably a decent amount of time on those springs.

[QUOTE=MainFrame;2990816]these are not the springs you want..

Are they not any good? A buddy recommended them so I thought I would check out pricing and what not, but I have not looked into them much.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kord9
    Are they not any good? A buddy recommended them so I thought I would check out pricing and what not, but I have not looked into them much.
    The official Tein S-tech FAQ - NASIOC
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

EJ257, coincidentally I was just reading your thread about "The Importance of the Uppipe mod"! Thanks a lot man.

Kord, not yet cuz I just got the car in November and it's still kinda new. (2011 with 31k). I'm low in money but in terms of handling, sways and end links will be my first purchase.

There's always people selling their struts on forums that you can pick up unless you want brand new.

Good luck!
    \_(ツ)_/
    Kunal - Ordered 2015 DGM WRX
    Photographer | Dancer | Tech Nerd | The Stink-Eye Mob #7
    First Mods: What and what not to do
    2011+ Big Mod Thread
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

Oh well congrats on the new rex man! I am sure it is treating you well Unfortunately, like most smart purchases, I have to put it on the ol' credit card...So new seems to be the only option

Well the struts on my car are pretty worn. So unfortunately I am very overdue for replacement. I use my wrx as my DD, I don't take it racing or anything. Just the occasional cruise on a nice day. I WISH I could get koni's or RCE's , I would love to put them on my car. Maybe if I get a sudden influx on money then they are as good as mine! But...I don't think that is going to happen
    Help your budget by looking for better used springs (and sways). You may be able to get better struts, sways, endlinks and still stay close to budget.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller2002 View Post
    Help your budget by looking for better used springs (and sways). You may be able to get better struts, sways, endlinks and still stay close to budget.
    I actually do not have the money to purchase the struts, I have to charge it on the credit card....Unless you have know of any places I could purchase used struts with a credit card that would be totally awesome!

I wouldn't buy used struts, they are a wear item. Struts are really only good for about 60k miles, less if they have been riding on aftermarket springs.

as stated above the KYB Gr-2s are stock replacements. when running a lowering spring setup the strut will lose some life out of it. Im riding on KYB Gr-2s and Epic springs. The springs were designed off of stock struts but of course since they are a lowering spring they will cause faster wear than a stock spring. Its a nice setup for a stock like ride but then a little drop -1.3~ and will be nice for around corners. Then paired with a sway setup, im content.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

I actually do not have the money to purchase the struts, I have to charge it on the credit card....Unless you have know of any places I could purchase used struts with a credit card that would be totally awesome!
    I didn't say buy used struts, I said buy used springs and sways.

So, that said, what does this mean in the original post "So now that I have the money I am going to replace my struts and springs."?

Non car-related advice: Don't pay credit card interest. Save your money till you can afford the parts.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.