Lower control arms--replace on my own?

This is a discussion on Lower control arms--replace on my own? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; A mechanic told me last week that the lower control arms on my 02 bugeye are failing and need to ...

Lower control arms--replace on my own?

A mechanic told me last week that the lower control arms on my 02 bugeye are failing and need to be replaced. Panicked, I immediately ordered new parts but then figured why not get a second opinion? Took it to a Suby dealership where I was told that they were not failing. He said the Subaru "test" is to poke the LCA with a steel rod and if the rod goes through, they're failing.

Now, that left me unreassured. Seems to me a LCA failure could occur well before a steel rod goes through it but then again I'm not the mechanic.

The LCA on my car have small spots of rust here and there but overall look okay. Not great, just okay. My ride isn't great (very bouncy) but I'm not sure the LCA have anything to do with that.

Anyway my question is this. Would it be a waste of money to have new ones installed just as a safety precaution? I mean, given Subaru has problems with this part, and given the catastrophe that can result from LCA failure, I'm tempted to do it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

why did the mechanic tell u they were failing? because surface rust? There is an open recall and you can take it to a Subaru dealer for them to test it. Since you already did they are most likely fine. (Mine failed). Id take it to another dealer for another opinion if you were worried. Mechanic may just be trying to get you to buy some parts and have them installed but who knows. Was there any other problems besides surface rust? Did the dealer coat them after they passed the metal rod test?
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Wasn't there a recall on lower control arms?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    w There is an open recall and you can take it to a Subaru dealer for them to test it.
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Does that recall only apply to sedans? I wasn't notified of anything for my '03 wagon but maybe they lost track of me.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Wagons have the recall as well. I got a letter a while ago.

OP post a pic of the control arms.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    why did the mechanic tell u they were failing? because surface rust? There is an open recall and you can take it to a Subaru dealer for them to test it. Since you already did they are most likely fine. (Mine failed). Id take it to another dealer for another opinion if you were worried. Mechanic may just be trying to get you to buy some parts and have them installed but who knows. Was there any other problems besides surface rust? Did the dealer coat them after they passed the metal rod test?
    The mechanic pointed to the control arm/ball joint connection and said it was bad. I should have pressed him for more details but didn't.

I already took my car into another dealership for the recall in 2011 and they declared them good to go but may have treated them with some sort of coating, not sure though. The dealership I just took them to this week didn't treat them with anything.

I will also work on getting photos of them.

When yours failed were you driving at high speed?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Will be looking at mine during the pending brake install I guess.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

FWIW here's a pic of the left lower control arm. I know it's probably inconclusive based on this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RSCN2034.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	112227

mine didnt fail when driving. they just failed the dealership test. but to me they seem fine just looks like surface rust.
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography