05 rear struck knock. Replacement advise.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 05 rear struck knock. Replacement advise. within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So i have the common rear strut knock on the drivers side of my 05 wrx. Now, i figure that ...

05 rear struck knock. Replacement advise.

So i have the common rear strut knock on the drivers side of my 05 wrx. Now, i figure that i might as well do all the struts while im at it considering the stock ones have 152xxx miles on them. I was looking at some write-ups talking about top hats and mounts and them being a necessity. Anyone care to shed some light on whether or not i can buy struts that will use the stock mounts and tophats? I was looking at KYB Gr2 and was wondering if i would in fact have to replace everything.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KCAN13 View Post
    So i have the common rear strut knock on the drivers side of my 05 wrx. Now, i figure that i might as well do all the struts while im at it considering the stock ones have 152xxx miles on them. I was looking at some write-ups talking about top hats and mounts and them being a necessity. Anyone care to shed some light on whether or not i can buy struts that will use the stock mounts and tophats? I was looking at KYB Gr2 and was wondering if i would in fact have to replace everything.
    Holy crap!

To answer your question, the GR2's will work with the stock tophats, they are an OEM replacement strut. There are stock or aftermarket top hats available. Stock ones online range from $20-$60 each. At that mileage I would recommend changing the spring seats as well:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7591670.gif 
Views:	19 
Size:	3.2 KB 
ID:	112169Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7591325.gif 
Size:	3.7 KB 
ID:	112170

#3 in the first pic and #7 in the second pic. They are super soft durometer like 30A-ish. You can buy them at an online dealer site, or if your dealer price matches online like mine does, get them at your local dealer. I just picked up a set of 4 for $44.

You may also want to inspect your bump stops while you are there.

The front top hats have a bearing which wears out, the rear are just solid rubber.

Aftermarket options include everything from full camber plates front and rear to "group N" mounts which are a harder durometer.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 02-26-2013 at 06:51 AM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Holy crap!

To answer your question, the GR2's will work with the stock tophats, they are an OEM replacement strut. There are stock or aftermarket top hats available. Stock ones online range from $20-$60 each. At that mileage I would recommend changing the spring seats as well:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7591670.gif 
Size:	3.2 KB 
ID:	112169Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7591325.gif 
Size:	3.7 KB 
ID:	112170

#3 in the first pic and #7 in the second pic. They are super soft durometer like 30A-ish. You can buy them at an online dealer site, or if your dealer price matches online like mine does, get them at your local dealer. I just picked up a set of 4 for $44.

You may also want to inspect your bump stops while you are there.

The front top hats have a bearing which wears out, the rear are just solid rubber.

Aftermarket options include everything from full camber plates front and rear to "group N" mounts which are a harder durometer.
    Yeah man this subi has been around lol. Great car, but she has had a lot of little things go bad. So ill check with the dealer on those spring seats for sure. Can you explain the bump stops because i read up on that as well and not exactly understanding what they are

I'd skip the dealer on the top hats...search on Rallysportdirect.com or TurninConcepts.com for them. You can get Group-N tophats (mounts) for a much better price than what the dealer will probably get you (unless the match online prices as Jeremy says). And they'd be a little better quality and performing.

Bump stops are basically foam rubber bumpers that stop the travel of the strut itself. If the strut were to travel too much over a bump or a pothole or something, the tophat would hit the bump stop. If they weren't there, then it could hit the actual housing if it compressed too much, and possibly even blow out the strut in one bump. New struts should come with new bumpstops already on them.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Get the group N strut mounts, i have the GR-2s and they are an OEM replacement. While youre at it minus well get some nice lowering springs :P
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I'd skip the dealer on the top hats...search on Rallysportdirect.com or TurninConcepts.com for them. You can get Group-N tophats (mounts) for a much better price than what the dealer will probably get you (unless the match online prices as Jeremy says). And they'd be a little better quality and performing.

Bump stops are basically foam rubber bumpers that stop the travel of the strut itself. If the strut were to travel too much over a bump or a pothole or something, the tophat would hit the bump stop. If they weren't there, then it could hit the actual housing if it compressed too much, and possibly even blow out the strut in one bump. New struts should come with new bumpstops already on them.
    Yeah on the top hats whether you are going OEM or aftermarket, buy them online.

The spring seats are gonna be a dealer item.

*My new struts did not come with bumpstops, matter of fact none of the aftermarket struts I have ever bought have. You will either need to reuse your existing, buy new OEM ones or aftermarket ones such as these from TIC or these from rallysportdirect.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Ohhh the spring seats...#s 2 and 7 in your diagram...didn't realize they were a separate part
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3

*My new struts did not come with bumpstops, matter of fact none of the aftermarket struts I have ever bought have. You will either need to reuse your existing, buy new OEM ones or aftermarket ones such as these from TIC or these from rallysportdirect.
    alright ima look at all these and make a decision. Ill let you know what i do or if i have any questions.

* Also, i think the bumpstops is a very valid point because when someone sits in my car or i hit i bump i can hear the housing being hit, or at least its what it sounds like because it sounds like something is slammin pretty good. I didnt realize what it was till i saw a friend get outta the back seat and the strut seemed to have very slowly go back up after being compressed making a god awful sound.

Yeah...you definitely need to replace those bad boys

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post

Yeah...you definitely need to replace those bad boys
    So in the diagrams above is it figure 8 that are the bump stops?

So number 8 in the diagram is the bump stops then?

yes they are bump stops
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KCAN13 View Post
    So number 8 in the diagram is the bump stops then?
    #8 ON THE RIGHT PIC
    #5 ON THE LEFT PIC
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

on the first pic it looks like 5 is bump stop. second pic 8 is.
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

Awesome. And then the link to rallysportdirect shows fitment as being for the STI. Im assuming that they will fit my rex as well? Yeah i just ordered the seats and about to ge the bump stops too if they will fit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast