Taking my new WRX on a road trip in 4 weeks! Should I change the tires?

This is a discussion on Taking my new WRX on a road trip in 4 weeks! Should I change the tires? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys! Well, I just picked up my new '13 WRX on Thursday (base model) and I'll be taking it ...

Taking my new WRX on a road trip in 4 weeks! Should I change the tires?

Hey guys! Well, I just picked up my new '13 WRX on Thursday (base model) and I'll be taking it up to my place in Montana with my girlfriend in about a month or so. I'm in southern California (Orange County), so it's going to be a nice fun trip (about 1,140 miles or so). The big question is whether or not I should swap out my tires for some nice all-season or winter tires for the trek up there. Obviously my rex came with Dunlop summer tires, so I'm a little cautious as to how they will perform in the snow (if there is any - Montana generally seems to just be really wet this time of year).

Does anyone who lives in a colder climate have any insight to offer about the stock tires? I don't mind swapping them out, but I also don't want it to be for nothing if the performance won't be too drastically different. I'll be in Montana for about 4-5 days before driving back, so is it worth it changing them out for such a short period of time? Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Don't take the WRX.
    1) You just picked it up, its not broken in yet is it? 1000 miles highways miles is exactly what the manual says not to do.
    2) You will have limited traction if the temperature drops or you will end up in a ditch backwards if it snow.

I already have 275 miles on the car and I will certainly have over 1,500 by the time the road trip comes around, so the car will be past the break-in period. So according to your #2 post, you are saying that I should change out the tires?

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    Don't take the WRX.
    1) You just picked it up, its not broken in yet is it? 1000 miles highways miles is exactly what the manual says not to do.
    2) You will have limited traction if the temperature drops or you will end up in a ditch backwards if it snow.

Ohh ok then. Yep change the tires. Many will disagree with me but the all season tires will suit you well on your road trip as parts of Montana is snowing at the moment =)
    Enjoy the trip!
    Don't forget to wave(at other WRX/STi owners)!

Ohh ok then. Yep change the tires. Many will disagree with me but the all season tires will suit you well on your road trip as parts of Montana is snowing at the moment =)
    Enjoy the trip!
    Don't forget to wave(at other WRX/STi owners)!