coilover suggestions needed!!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on coilover suggestions needed!!! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What WE'RE telling you is if you're going JUST for looks, a lowering spring is 5x cheaper than a decent ...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    What WE'RE telling you is if you're going JUST for looks, a lowering spring is 5x cheaper than a decent coilover. Why waste the money?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

And im sayin im not just going for looks
    2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Hatch
    Mods : Yakima Roof Rack, Perrin catted DP, Perrin CAI, Perrin shifter bushings, Perrin AP stage 2, Ebay/Custom 3" cat back, carbon Subaru emblems, blacked out tail lights, Cobb STS, Raceland Coilovers

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BEASTmode632
    And im sayin im not just going for looks
    If you're looking for performance from a coilover, price starts to become a factor, for most people. You need to be willing to drop $1500+ on the '08+.

For less money, you can have a strut and spring setup that will be leaps and bounds better than any coilover of equivalent cost.

If you adjust ride height with the coilover, you need a brand new alignment. In terms of adjustability, that leaves the average joe only the ability to adjust dampening rate, which is offered on decent struts (e.g., Koni Yellows).

A set of Koni Yellows are in the $700 range. A set of RCE Yellows offer a nice drop, while not putting you out of the "sweet spot" for performance, and are $350; you can probably get them used for $200-250 (they aren't a wear item, so don't hesitate to buy used). MSI makes a great street camber plate for under $300. Reuse your OE tophats in the rear, or pick up new ones (~$100); personally, I'd get new ones while the strut assembly is apart. Give or take, that puts you in the $1200-1300 range. There is no coilover at that price point that will ride/handle better. Other springs, like Epic Engineering don't offer the spring rate that the RCEs do, but will drop the car nicely, and can be had cheap used (a friend got a set of Epic springs on 2011 struts for $150 local sale), so you can save a bit of money. Personally, I'd look at Swift over Epic, but they may not offer enough of a drop for your taste (.8" S / 1" H).

Where coilovers are a worthwhile buy is when the majority of the use will be in motorsports, and you don't mind spending $$ to get good parts, and are going to be corner balancing as well. For a street-driven WRX (even if it sees a little bit of motorsport time), coilovers are a complete waste, and you're better off putting that money elsewhere.
    Last edited by EJ257; 02-04-2013 at 03:34 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Ok now im leaning towards strut and spring combo. So konis would be my best bet as far as struts? And could i go with a spting thst has more of a drop that im looking for?
    Mods : Yakima Roof Rack, Perrin catted DP, Perrin CAI, Perrin shifter bushings, Perrin AP stage 2, Ebay/Custom 3" cat back, carbon Subaru emblems, blacked out tail lights, Cobb STS, Raceland Coilovers

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BEASTmode632
    Ok now im leaning towards strut and spring combo. So konis would be my best bet as far as struts? And could i go with a spting thst has more of a drop that im looking for?
    Konis are a fantastic strut. They can handle any spring worth installing.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I just read about having to cut the stock stuff up. Is that a pretty easy task? Looks pretty easy. Whats a good website to order them from?

I Support ClubWRX
    Check the site vendors. The install is historically just a touch of a science project with the holes you have to make, but once it's done, it's done. Koni are quality parts, I'd trust them in a car that carries my loved ones -- a must for any part worth installing is safety and reliability after all.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh, and since we're talking... It's your car and it's your tax return money, but it's a really nice car and I'm sure it's very nice money too. It's not me, but if it were me, and I'd spent all that money on a really nice car, I'd want any further money spent on it to improve its dynamics and make it a better car if at all possible.

I feel the best way to do this is to make suspension changes for handling, rather than aesthetics. "Stance" is a fashion; fashion is what goes out of style. Good handling is here to stay.

Going "higher" than you might have originally wanted could (Could! Not imperative; suggestive) yield better handling, safer, more rewarding results.

You can't see the stance when you're using the car; you're in it, after all. Only others can see the stance. Do they matter?

I'm not known for reasonable views and I don't want another "war" here; I'm just suggesting and throwing thoughts out there.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Suggestions is what i wanted. And now you guys might have changed my mind. If the 1000$ coilovers arent worth it then ill go the cheaper better route. But i want to at least eliminate the huge wheel gap for looks.

I Support ClubWRX
    OK here's what I'd do: set a budget, contact a site vendor and discuss with them earnestly your needs and requirements. Note their offerings and suggestions. Repeat with another vendor etc.

Look into RCE for examples.

I Support ClubWRX

coilover suggestions needed!!!

The only cheap coilover to buy is tein. I say that because they are made in Japan and not in Korea/Taiwan. That still doesn't make them good, it just makes them ok. I've had them on a 05 Wrx for about 2 years now with no rebuilds or leaks. The car has about every single piece of white line components on it and handles about the same as a Wrx with Koni struts, tanabe springs and about the same white line components.. So why did I spend the money for coilovers? Yea I was dumb

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

The rce is more expencive than just the koni yellow sports right?

I Support ClubWRX
    Look at their spring offerings.

The only spring they have on the site is the black regular guys. They say its a 3/4 inch drop. Thats crazy for just springs. No way thats right and it says they have a softer spring rate. Would that end up bottoming out alot?

Is there any spring/strut combo that can get close to a 2/2 inch drop? I want more than just a little over an inch

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast