Lowering questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Lowering questions within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2013 wrx sedan I would like to lower only about an inch, any one have any comments ...

Lowering questions

I have a 2013 wrx sedan I would like to lower only about an inch, any one have any comments or suggestions on any suspension brands? and how fast my shocks would wear out at an inch lower? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Your shocks are underdampened from the factory. I wouldn't install springs without installing struts as well. You're looking at ~$1K if you want to lower it.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Firstly, your car has struts, not shocks.

Handling dynamics is a delicate balance between damping, spring rate, suspension geometry, and rubber. As might be presumed, selecting a very high spring rate without accounting for damping will cause the suspension to become underdamped, leading to a very bouncy ride quality. However, there are many "lowering springs" that are intended to run with OEM struts and are merely for looks. These springs have anywhere between a 25 a 50% increased spring rate with a mild drop. It's unlikely this margin of increase will upset the handling balance to a large degree, though your struts WILL wear faster as you suggested.

If this is merely for looks, go for it. If you are concerned with handling, I would address your tires and alignment first, as those components will improve your handling to the highest degree.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX

Lowering questions

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Your shocks are underdampened from the factory. I wouldn't install springs without installing struts as well. You're looking at ~$1K if you want to lower it.
    Would something like rce blacks be okay to use with factory struts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx650 View Post
    Would something like rce blacks be okay to use with factory struts?

Please read:

08+ WRX Regular Guy Springs

"Regular Guy" are "Blacks"

Racecomp has taken feedback from the casual enthusiasts of the GTWORX Bilstein kit and produced a more daily driver friendly spring that still has a good combination of ride quality without sacrificing much track performance in comparison to the more agressive Yellows. Racecomp Engineering's goal was to help cure the understeer that adds to lap times at the track and autocross course. Hearing reviews that the Yellow spring traditionally paired with the WRX Bilsteins was too harsh for some, a less aggressive performance spring has been produced that retains available bump travel and works in conjunction with the rear motion ratio. The result is a car that handles extremely well from corner entry to corner exit yet retains ride comfort. Due to the lower spring rate compared to the Yellows, the RCE Regular Guy springs may be used with stock struts on the 2011+ WRX.

Offers 3/4" drop front and rear. Spring rates of 275lb Front / 250lb Rear

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX

Lowering questions

I know they are able to be used with stock struts. I wanted to make sure because of what ej257 said about using different struts with aftermarket springs and because I have basically only seen reviews of them with non oem struts.

-Noah

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx650
    I know they are able to be used with stock struts. I wanted to make sure because of what ej257 said about using different struts with aftermarket springs and because I have basically only seen reviews of them with non oem struts.
    I wouldn't want to do the install/alignment twice. While they were apart, I'd throw a set of Konis on.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

zax

Please read closely.

Due to the lower spring rate compared to the Yellows, the RCE Regular Guy springs may be used with stock struts on the 2011+ WRX.
    Clearly this states "on the 2011+ WRX." Makes no mention of the 2008-2010 WRX. To me, this means that the 2008-2010 WRX require matching struts. Best I can say is to give TiC a call, as they are more-or-less experts on suspension in Subarus.

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX

Lowering questions

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I wouldn't want to do the install/alignment twice. While they were apart, I'd throw a set of Konis on.
    Gotcha. That's the setup I was thinking of doing. Seems to be a good combo based on the reviews.

-Noah

Stink-Eye Mob #91

I Support ClubWRX

Lowering questions

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Please read closely.

Clearly this states "on the 2011+ WRX." Makes no mention of the 2008-2010 WRX. To me, this means that the 2008-2010 WRX require matching struts. Best I can say is to give TiC a call, as they are more-or-less experts on suspension in Subarus.
    http://www.racecompengineering.com/i...or-09-wrx.html

Rce site says 2009+. That's weird that the tic says 2011+. Is there any difference between the 2009-2010 a struts and the 2011+ struts? I didn't think there were any.

-Noah

Stink-Eye Mob #91

zax
    Racecomp Engineering : Regular Guy Black Springs for 08+ WRX

Rce site says 2009+. That's weird that the tic says 2011+. Is there any difference between the 2009-2010 a struts and the 2011+ struts? I didn't think there were any.

I'm not sure, and again something you'd want to discuss with TiC. Likely TiC realizes exactly what EJ257 posted earlier: that the 2009 and 2010 WRX are underdamped for the factory spring rate. I'm no expert, but TiC are, so I'd talk to them.

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX

Lowering questions

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I'm not sure, and again something you'd want to discuss with TiC. Likely TiC realizes exactly what EJ257 posted earlier: that the 2009 and 2010 WRX are underdamped for the factory spring rate. I'm no expert, but TiC are, so I'd talk to them.
    Ok. My guess is that when I get around to doing this, I will probably get new struts to go with them. I have about 55 k on mine. Probably wouldn't hurt to get new ones when I get the springs. I will talk to the tic guys though before I do anything. Btw I love your avatar lol

-Noah

Stink-Eye Mob #91

i put epic springs on my 2011 today,(designed to work with factory struts) lowered it about an inch. front and rear are now level and got rid of all the body roll. Im very happy with them

back is only squatting in this pic because i have the factory wheels and suspension in the back seat and trunk. leveled out perfectly once i took them out.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.