Good idea, or TERRIBLE idea?!

This is a discussion on Good idea, or TERRIBLE idea?! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, On my front tires the channel that goes around the entire tire has the little bumps in it to ...

So, On my front tires the channel that goes around the entire tire has the little bumps in it to show when u need new tires, well on the front those are even to the treads but on the back tires its not yet. So I'm guessing I need new tires, here's the issue, next weekend I'm going to Vermont with a buddy and we are of course taking the STi, So can I swap from front wheels to the back and back wheels to the front as long as i keep the left side tires on the left side and right on the right? Please help! (when I say wheels I mean the whole deal, I have no tire changing machine so I'd unbolt the front, unbolt the back, and swap. Suggestions please?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ummm. Isn't that called rotating your tires?

Quote Originally Posted by thegamer1587 View Post
    Ummm. Isn't that called rotating your tires?
    This.

Also, if they're the stock Dunlops, you can switch them from left to right too if you need to. They're asymmetric but not directional, so they have an outside and an inside to the tire tread, but it doesn't make a difference which direction they rotate. But as long as you don't have a tire fitting machine, you're not going to be changing which side of the tire is to the outside. The outside of the tire is still going to be on the outside of the wheel if you move the wheel from the left to the right of the car. Make sense?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I wouldn't do it. Different tread depth like that is an indication that you have not been rotating your tires near enough. Having the tread depth different front to back like that will ruin your center differential in no time. It causes the wheels to turn at different speeds, so while cruising it is wearing on the center diff as is you are constantly losing traction.

You need four new tires. Driving anywhere, especially long distance will cause damage in that condition.

When was the last time you rotated your tires? I'm not sure about newer models, but if I remember correctly on my car you're supposed to do it every oil change. (So like 3000 miles)

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I wouldn't do it. Different tread depth like that is an indication that you have not been rotating your tires near enough. Having the tread depth different front to back like that will ruin your center differential in no time. It causes the wheels to turn at different speeds, so while cruising it is wearing on the center diff as is you are constantly losing traction.

You need four new tires. Driving anywhere, especially long distance will cause damage in that condition.

When was the last time you rotated your tires? I'm not sure about newer models, but if I remember correctly on my car you're supposed to do it every oil change. (So like 3000 miles)
    +1

I believe all 4 tires should be within 2/32 tread of one another, or it can mess up the awd system

okay unerstood. I will notdrive the car anymore until I get a new pair of tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    okay unerstood. I will notdrive the car anymore until I get a new pair of tires.
    Unless you get that new pair shaved to match the tires with tread still on them, you'll still have the same issue. Replacing all 4 will be your best bet.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

nonono. All 4.

I'll be ordering 4 new ones. I once read from someone knwoledgeable and someone I trust on here (there are many of you) that even shaving them down doesnt match perfectly. Even if, I'd be buying new tires and shaving them down to about 3-5k miles from shot lol. Thanks for helping guys, I did drive the car before reading that it was a bad idea, but only into town and back, 5 miles TOPS. is the car fine?

I Support ClubWRX
    You should be fine. If you get a flat and have to put the donut on you run into the same issue...It is really long term that it would be an issue.

I'm having a set of Pirelli wintersports put on in a few hours. Thanks for the help guys

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    You should be fine. If you get a flat and have to put the donut on you run into the same issue...It is really long term that it would be an issue.

Exactly.. my point is, tires don't get drastically uneven wear in one or two short trips (donut is only supposed to be used for less than 50 miles, and even that's not good for the differentials). This is likely something that has been building over a long period of time. I just think it would be best to remedy the issue as quickly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I agree with this

Quote Originally Posted by yenny View Post
    I agree with this

Have you blown a center diff from not diligently rotating your tires? I have.. and I disagree.

but, if the difference in wear is within spec limits, then it's ok to drive. i forget how many 32nds the spec is.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff